Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mustang LX coupe

As of right now...........Reliable Resins in 1/24th.

However, I would wait. A little birdie has told me that Revell is working on a 1/25th all-new-tool 2n1 1990-93 Coupe.

Ooooooh, that would be very cool!!!!!!! I need something to put my Replicas and Miniatures, ten hole Ford wheels on! (as in a DPS Mustang!)

Considering that Mr. Ed Sexton and I had about a 45 minute discussion on this subject at the Toledo NNL (with him stating that his developement crew was already in the planning stages), coupled with the facts that I have about 15 Emails from him and as many to him discussing engine/chassis/wheels-tires configuration for the drag version of this 2n1 and the fact that I have hooked his team up with a local Mustang racing shop for in-car/out-of-car/various combinations photos and measurements..............I would say my little 'birdie' is fairly well informed.

No release date as of yet, but when I talked to Ed about a month ago (when I got he and the Mustang shop in touch with one another) his words were "We are ready to go forward right now if the proper 1:1 car can be found." So, take that as you will.

if this comes to pass ill be busy and a one legged man in a butt kicking contest...there are a bunch of Fox body Mustang racers in my area...everything from stockers to high 5/low 6 second 1/8 mile street cars so ill be buying alot of these kits

discussing engine/chassis/wheels-tires configuration for the drag version of this 2n1

If they'd include the hobby's first ever realistic turbochargers, Bogart or Weld Magnum wheels and drag radials, they'd sell a gazillion to guys who don't even like Mustangs.

Edited by Mark Brown

If they'd include the hobby's first ever realistic turbochargers, Bogart or Weld Magnum wheels and drag radials, they'd sell a gazillion to guys who don't even like Mustangs.

Agreed. If some modern speed parts are included I'll buy as many of them as I can get my hands on!

I'm not concerned about the optional speed parts. All I ask is that car is right. Fix the oil pan so it is a correct "double sump" shape. A proper driveshaft with correct u-joints at both ends. Springs/sway bars. If you're going to do the 15" ten hole or the 16" pony wheels, make em correct. Correct LX tail lights. Please make sure the exhaust is correct, and that the tail pipes are symmetrical, since they are quite visible on the LX. And do something with the side mirrors, as the mirrors in the 93 Cobra kit are just plain wrong.

Brian,

These were some of the FIRST things to be brought up in conversation with Ed, as I am what you would call a FOX chassis aficianado. I have a very soft spot in my heart (and 4 current 1:1 FOX Mustangs to prove it) for the FOX chassis, and believe it or not Ed currently owns a 1985 Mustang GT 5spd convertible....so he is aware of all the other kits shortcomings. We have had considerable discussions about the LX/5.0 Coupe, and it will wear 16" Ponies in its stock configuration (as they are shooting for 1991-93 target year group). This will be an all-new tool, with nothing from the old FOX kits used, in 1/25th scale.

I cannot speculate as to when it will be released or take any knowledge to press as to how accurate it will be, but the engine/side moldings/headrests/engine bay/8.8" rear detail angles have been considered and discussed. I haven't heard back yet from ED or Mike Bell (Dayton Performance) as to how the meeting went/if it has went yet, so I can't elaborate as to what info they were able to get. I will keep you all posted as things develop and if I am kept in the loop. No one wants this to come to fruition more than I (well, maybe one or two more people, but you will be VERY hard pressed to find them).

I'd definitely get one or two of these if kitted...though I prefer the '85-86 LX (used to own an '86) over the '87-93 style. I have a 1:1 '87 GT I've had since new, built the MPC kit to resemble it (the MPC kit has some issues).

As far as resin LXes, I have the AAM one in my unbuilt resin collection..

Edited by Rob Hall

I discussed the 85-86 LX/GT with Ed; unfortunately we will not see one any time soon (if ever). Reason being is the side trim. Changing the side trim to 1985-86 style would kill it for possible backdate/update (as 85-86 was unique to those years and trim levels respectively).

I discussed the 85-86 LX/GT with Ed; unfortunately we will not see one any time soon (if ever). Reason being is the side trim. Changing the side trim to 1985-86 style would kill it for possible backdate/update (as 85-86 was unique to those years and trim levels respectively).

Bummer..the '85-86 LX look so much better than the '87-93, IMO...I never liked the dull headlights and taillights of the '87-93 LX.

If this kit makes it to shelves and the body and other details are done correctly then I will buy at least a half dozen. It's going to sell like a MOFO if it has a nice assortment of currently popular drag race parts and engine performance parts too! With as popular as the 1:1 5.0 LX Notchback has been, especially '85+ models, I can not understand why it was never offered as a model kit. The Notchback is arguably the most popular and saught after FOX body style and my modified '88 has been my daily driver for 3 months shy of 12 years now. I would absolutely LOVE to be able to build a model replica of it.

(Looks like I need to get on eBay and get ahold of a Tamiya '95 Cobra R kit so I can have the wheels in-stock and ready to go.)

Also, I bet if a talented person had a correctly proportioned body shell to start with they could backdate the side trim and make the bumper covers to replicate an '85-'86. Of course, the interior is another story.

• 4 months later...

new to the forum here, but this is what I have been looking/waiting for,for some time. I am a diehard Fox-body mustang fan and have been building models for about 25 years. I am no scratch builder and can only work with what I have. I have owned and still own several real cars and models (including resin) of just about every variety. I bought the All American coupes and hatches when they came out in the early 90's and was never pleased with either attempt they made. I actually have several of the AFXnscale resin cars, but they are just copies of the All American rejects. I would definitely buy several maybe even several cases if they do actually turn a decent one out. There could be sooo many different combos I would like to build. Although I think I would rather have the car in 1/24th scale. the 1/25th's were just so funky to put together and sat too high and not nearly enough detail in chassis or interior. I know the Monogram cars were all wrong, but at least you could see it. That's just my opinion. Still I eagerly await an at least GOOD Mustang COUPE and would still like to do a decent hatch version

Well, look for this kit to be debuted later this year, and go into production mid-2012. I talked with Ed a short while ago about it, and it will be a nitrous car at the moment. He didn't rule out a turbo option, and as soon as the local drag strip opens, I will be sending him pictures and measurements from some of the local racers to use as reference for the kit parts.

That sounds great to me. The sooner the better, but I understand that some time will be needed to get it right. After all ,that is what we are all looking for. I can't wait to build several,and I mean several for myself. And with any kind of "aftermarket" parts, the possibilities will be endless for me. I can start with doing a bone stock build or replicate a mid 8 second street car. I HOPE and PRAY that they will do BOTH a coupe and hatch, and that they will be well represented in either scale. Maybe later on I'd like to see an 85/86 gt. I had seen the post earlier and would LOVE for this one to come true also. My 2 most beloved automobiles coming to life an 86gt and 87-93 coupe. And if they want to use any cars for measurements and soforth, all they gotta do is call. I'll post a couple pics of my cars, both big and small, as soon as I figure out how to resize them. Hope to get building SOON...Ridgley

As of right now...........Reliable Resins in 1/24th.

However, I would wait. A little birdie has told me that Revell is working on a 1/25th all-new-tool 2n1 1990-93 Coupe.

Reliable Resins body is a bit wide to me. Was at the NNL EAST on Saturday and came across this vendor Morgan Automotive Detail (www.madmodeling.com. They have a Notchback LX Mustang that is 1/25 scale. Check them out and yes you won't need to be as good of modeler as certain folks or pay $15 for a "vacuum formed" rear windows!

Reliable Resins body is a bit wide to me. Was at the NNL EAST on Saturday and came across this vendor Morgan Automotive Detail (www.madmodeling.com. They have a Notchback LX Mustang that is 1/25 scale. Check them out and yes you won't need to be as good of modeler as certain folks or pay $15 for a "vacuum formed" rear windows!

http://www.madmodeling.com/store/ccp0-prodshow/79muscoupe.html

79mustang-resin.jpg