Model Cars Magazine Forum

I need the help of 6 individuals

In my old age I have become a pretty patient and understanding individual. There is not that much that gets me upset…especially in this little modeling world of ours. I have a very stressful business that is really struggling in the current difficult economic environment. I spend far too much time in my day chasing clients that are taking longer and longer to pay their monthly bill to me. It is not a pleasant task, but one that must be done.

Over the years I find that I have been able to escape much of the daily business concerns and just lose myself in my modeling, and I do. But wouldn’t you know it, I have now dragged that nagging business problem of chasing people to get paid for work produced and delivered on time, over to my modeling time.

When I thought of offering the vacuum-formed body of the Art Deco Roadster to any modelers who would be interesting in building something different, I thought I was doing everyone who ordered one a real favor. Granted, it is a difficult build, but it is intended for modelers with above average skill, and a desire to create something different. I offered it for $10.00. Postage for the single body package in the U.S. is $5.00, slightly more for Canada and more still for overseas delivery. The plastic cost me a $1.00 per sheet and each car used two sheets with the tops and body. So, for my work to form the body, make up the cover sheet, include the acetate for the windshield, run to the post office and then wait for payment, I make a stinking $3.00 per car. Truly chicken feed, the truth be told….but clearly, I was not doing it for the money.

I thought it would be a fun project. I thought you guys would “get itâ€. Yes, most of you did…….but as of today; I still have 6 gentlemen who have somehow not found the time to forward my payment to me, and some of them are more than the $10.00 variety. Now really, I gave buyers a choice of paying via paypal (which cuts into my take….not a big deal) check or money order. Really this is not a lot of money….but it is the principle of the thing.

Interestingly, one of the first guys to pay me sent me a check for $20.00…. exactly twice the amount due. I e-mailed him and said, “hey, I think you mis-understood the amount dueâ€. He said….â€no, I did that intentionally…..I know you will get stuck by one or two guysâ€. Now, he really impressed me!! How did he know?

Anyway, I am sorry to come here on the “almost†eve of Thanksgiving, a time when we reflect on all of our blessings and take stock of our situation in life and family, and have to complain about a trivial matter of a few dollars, but honestly, I took this a little personally. I always put a little of myself in everything I create and this car was no exception.

I thought I may have one or even two guys go south on me, but six is just more than I expected. This really saddens me but unfortunately it doesn’t surprise me. So, if you happen to be one of these individuals, please find the time over the next few days to send a little “thanksgiving†to me……I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks guys, and to everyone who read through this, I hope you have a great Thanksgiving, enjoy your family, a great meal and remember, no matter how difficult things may be now, better days are coming….I promise that. B)

hard to make a reply to this, i dont want to fan any flames but i definatly see your point

(kinda in the same boat on a smaller scale myself)

normally i would say that 99% of the people we deal with here are closer to the first variety (the one who donated the extra $10)

then to the second variety but somehow you found 6 of those B)

i guess i will try to put all this aside by saying, be sure to PM me next time you are in a bind on a build and i will find you the part you need to finish your project

at least that takes one worrie away from you ;)

That stinks B)

Similary, I have a trade with a memer here that is nearly a month old with no return, kind of a bummer since I sent out my end the right away. I actually forgot, and recenty PM'd said personnwith no reply. Again, not a big deal at all, just disappointing.

Good luck, hopefully you get what's due ;)

That is very sad, and exactly why I will not ship something someone buys from me without payment up front. A trade, I will do, but I will not sell a kit or something without payment first. I wish you the best of luck my friend. If I was in a better position, I would send you 10 bucks myself, without you sending a body, but with both of us out of work, and no unemployment, I cant.

Edited by midnightprowler

Peter, it IS a SHAME those few individuals just plain out ripped you off! I agree, you SHOULD send the names to Ken, to put on his bad traders list. THIS is just plain UNACCEPTABLE!! YOU try to do some good for your fellow members and THIS is how your treated! That's just plain out and out B/S!!!! PLEASE let the powers that be know about this an have them put on the DO NOT deal with list! There's NO room here for DEADBEATS!!!!!!:blink:

Hey Guys, thanks for all of the support you have expressed to this posting….I really appreciate it…you guys all “get it†and that means a lot to me. I don’t want to make a Federal case out of this; I just needed to “vent†my frustration.

Like I have said before, we are all adults here and I don’t want to have a full investigation or anything….I think the guys who have forgotten to send payment just needed a little reminder…..at least I hope that is all. If someone is really in such a difficult place that they can’t pay me, I understand and that will be that. But if it is just a lack of concern or interest in satisfying their obligation then I can’t just accept that.

Again, thank you to all of you guys for the concern……and sure, I will be happy to supply a body to anyone who wants one and did not have an opportunity earlier. I will be posting an update on my shortened version of the car…..a two seat run-about in the next few days.

If you are still interested in a body, just e-mail me at: aegisgolf@optonline.net. Send me your mailing address and as soon as I can I will get it out to you.

I have been a little remiss myself as I need to supply two more bodies that were ordered….certainly by the weekend I will get them done…….so if you want one, just e mail me……but please, if you order one, be prepared to have to pay me at some point in the future…..that is all I ask.

personally i wouldnt bother with this vigilante sounding business, i would just consider it a cheap education. you can sell the overs easy enough i would bet. next time you know who is good for their word.

could you post a photo of the body here? i might want to buy one.

better to just move on...

Hey Peter, I'd buy one but I spent all my money on peanut butter at the strip club.........don't ask!

LOL, hopefully that brought some cheer back into this disappointing situation! B)

I don't frequent strip clubs but I have been dragged into a few over the years. In the few times though, I have never seen or heard any reference to peanut butter.....you really have me wondering now. :huh::blink:

That stinks :lol:

Similary, I have a trade with a memer here that is nearly a month old with no return, kind of a bummer since I sent out my end the right away. I actually forgot, and recenty PM'd said personnwith no reply. Again, not a big deal at all, just disappointing.

Good luck, hopefully you get what's due :lol:

Hey Ian. Sorry you got burned. Seems like those of us who are trusting sometimes do get chumped. I really wonder how folks live with being dishonest, either by design or neglect.

I feel like I've gotten real lucky here with not having any issues (knock on wood).

How about posting just the State and Town they may live in and Just maybe there is a

fellow club member in the same area that could knock on their door and remind them :lol: ?

I know I'd be willing to assist in any way I could.

love your Style, Imagination, Talent and builds..

You could be one of the best Automotive designers, EVER!!!

Shame on those that have Wronged you!!!!

...consider it a cheap education. ...

could you post a photo of the body here? i might want to buy one.

better to just move on...

it is too bad you got stuck. rereading the original post you mentioned a couple of times about the difficulties in your business, and now it has crept into your hobby. there are several common denominators, but perhaps the only one you can control is You.

McDonald's don't give you no cheeseburger 'til you pay for it!

Edited by southpier

I feel for ya bro,but its your own fault for being to trusting.Money in the hand is my policy on everything.One of lifes lessons.The least they could do is send them back,come on.How scummy is that to just keep it?Some people,man.This could be one reason why your not suppose to sell on here??

• 3 weeks later...

Any update on the dirty half dozen? Hopefully they paid their debt.

Since you asked, 2 have paid, Thank You very much guys, I appreciate it, 3 have said they will get it taken care of, thanks in advance,and one seems to be comatose....not bad, only one seems to have fallen off the planet....I certainly can live with that. B)

Again, thanks for all of the support from all of you guys who participated in this little experiment and thanks for your concern about me getting paid, I appreciate that very much. So come on, after the Holidays I want to see some action on these.

Curt finished his (no big surprise there...his completion numbers are crazy....every eleven days he pops one out...I mean really), I have one 4 door done and a 2 door version almost done....so come on, after the first of the year, I will accept no more excuses..... figure it out and get going.....but seriously, I am looking forward to seeing what you guys will do with this. :lol: :lol: