Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 599 GTO

Phildaupho

DSCN3309-vi.jpg

I have been trying to complete this Revell of Germany Ferrari 599 GTO conversion before the end of the year but I may have to move New Years Day to February 1. FERRARI 599 GTO Where as the original GTO was a homologation race version of a car that was essentially a road-car the 250GT SWB, the new 599 GTO is a homologation street version of a racecar the 599XX. The 599 GTO incorporates many of the aerodynamic and performance enhancements developed on the 599XX.

I have completed virtually all the modifications so just have body painting and assembly left.

MODIFICATIONS - Enlarged existing side and front vents and openings, Added vents behind rear wheels, Added another row of vents on hood, Reshaped rear valence and added extra fin to diffuser, Fabricated new front splitter, Enlarged trunk spoiler, Recontoured front valance and side sills, Fabricated new air-box, Wheels Aoshima GTC wheels with Pegasus tires [to get an appropriate profile], Fabricated wheel donuts for brakes, Reshaped the seats.

PAINT Although not an official paint for GTOs I am sure if you wanted your GTO painted with the new Ferrari Formula One metallic red, your wish could be fulfilled for a price, therefore I intend to use Tamiya TS-85 Bright Mica Red. The roof will be Tamiya TS-6 Matt Black.

Ferrari 599 GTO website has a huge amount of information, photos and videos. It even permits me you to custom configure a GTO with color and materials.

http://www.ferrari.com/English/GT_Sport%20Cars/CurrentRange/599-GTO/Pages/599GTO.aspx

Edited by Phildaupho

Thanks for the info on the wheels. Too bad they do not come with tires as finding appropriate tires is often the biggest challenge. I know what you mean about doing a conversion and then finding out a kit is going to be available. It has happened to me a number of times. But I have to admit my favorite aspect of model car building is modifying,converting and customizing.

- Phil

Hobby Design has the wheel type used in the 599 GTO.

hydhd03-0087.jpg

I’ve been amassing the parts to do one just as soon as I finish the 612 Scaglietti. I keep thinking that Fujimi, Revell, or Hobby Design will come out with the GTO as kit or trans kit.

Phil, great work so far. I suspect, as you do, that the GTO will probably become a kit from Fujimi. At any rate yours will have more thought and detail than the Fujimi kit would, or even the RoG version if that were to happen.

I hear you on the wheels too, If they could recommend a tire that would fit that wheel, say what kit at least, that would make it easier, but purchasing a kit to get the tires would be very expensive. Groveling to your fellow modelers would probably be the best bet. If it happens and you get those wheels, I do have some spare tires from a Ferrari 360 by Tamiya I was using as a parts car. Tires are on the table if you need them. Just let me know.

Chris

Nice conversion so far B)

It's my favorite current Ferrari.

I'm in the same quandary; do I make one of my own, or wait and see if Fujimi or Revell step up? Or do I take a Revell kit and make enough modifications that may not be an exact replica, but in the same spirit as the GTO looks so much better than the standard 599, even if it's relatively subtle. So c'mon guys, take one for the team, do the conversions so that Fujimi and/or Revell do it for the lazy amongst us :D

As for tires, Pegasus still sells the Bridgestone tires that Tamiya made for the 350Z. They're great modern tires, stretch easily over 19's and 20's, and they're very affordable. They're a great replacement for Tamiya's DBS tires, for instance, that are far too tall.

Guest Sickfish

Mate I think it's great that you're using your own initiative in building the GTO version of, probably, the world's best GT. I'll definitely be watching this build. As far as tyres go, for the Hobby Design rims, I actually have the HD BBSs for the Ferrari California & I believe they're the same size as the GTO's rims ? I have a virtual tyre factory at my disposal & test fitted many tyres before finding the perfect rubber... Tamiya's tyres for the F50, Goodyear Eagle F1 Fioranos ... Perfect fit... They're off a Ferrari so it goes without saying  Here's a pic...

85a93952.jpg

So if you have this kit in your stash or can get it cheap... Tyre problem for the HD GTO rims... Solved 

Cheers Cliffo 

Thanks guys for all the suggestions regarding wheels and tires for the GTO. Looks like I will have to order a set of the Hobby Design wheels. My biggest concern with the wheel tire package is that the combination looks right in the wheel wells. The Michelin Pilot SuperSport tires on the real car were specifically developed for the GTO. The fronts are 285/30ZR-20's on 9.5 inch wide wheels. The rears are 315/35ZR-20's on 11.5 inch wide wheels.

- Phil

I just checked Hobby Link Japan and see that Hobby Design does have Michelin Pilot tires in the correct sizes but the total price to have the exact wheel/tire combination is way more than I am willing to pay for authenticity. I am of the school that close counts and if it looks good then it is.

- Phil

• 3 weeks later...

FERRARI 599 GTO Conversion – Update January 6,2011

Up on its wheels. Underpinnings completed

Since original post

Wheels – Stayed with Aoshima wheels and Pegasus tires. Painted Buffed Metalizer Exhaust. Could not justify cost of authentic HobbyDesign wheels and tires

Brakes – used stock 599 brakes but added fabricated brake donuts as utilized on GTO

Engine – added some wiring but virtually hidden by airbox. Slightly modified air-cleaner boxes

Interior – Used black with a bit of metallic gold to simulate carbon fiber on dash, seat backs, console. Seats sprayed with light coat of SMP Fauxfibric before matt black. Foot wells cover with dull coated cigarette package foil to simulate metal floor coverings. Studio 27 4-point safety belts

Undertray – New front splitter mounted

More photos added – of model and 1/1 GTO

http://public.fotki.com/phildaupho/models_of_sports_cars/ferrari-599-gto/

DSCN3310-vi.jpg

DSCN3311-vi.jpg

DSCN3306-vi.jpg

DSCN3303-vi.jpg

DSCN3308-vi.jpg