Model Cars Magazine Forum

Snap kits

They are usually very simple, with sparse detail. Quickies for the kiddies to learn on. There have been, however a few produced that build into very nice models.

The Revell Impala SS is an off shoot of their original Caprice police/taxi/firechief's car. It is essentially a snap kit gone wild. If I recall correctly Lindbergh's Crown Vic Police car kit, while a curbside,is a snap kit with good detail.

There are more out there but these are the first two I thought of.

G

most snap kits, if build OOB can be build in less then 20 minutes

i would guess part counts at about 25 and like the guys said,it is a good starter kit

for example, i just bought my 12 year old nephew the same bel air as pictured above as his very first model kit

i was actually very impressed with that one, it was the first snap kit i ever saw with adjustable suspension

(read: 2 sets of holes for the axles to go through)

there are some really nice snap kits out there, some of which are impossible to find in a regular kit like this one

th_utf-8BSU1HMDAwMzQtMjAxMDA4MTUtMTU1Mi5qcGc.jpg

dodge dually (repainted and slightly customized: shaker, rims)

Depends on which snap kit you get, the current Revell 1/25 Snap-Tite/Wheel's of Fire/Hot Wheels kits' most of them are really well done for snap together kits, kinda like the AMT '09/'10 Vettes and Challengers, only with stickers and are molded in color. Besides the Impala ss/Caprice kits AgentG mentioned the first gen Viper kits and the 4th gen Camaro/Trans Am kits from Revell were also snappers when they first came out in the early-mid 90's, only those had some engine and suspension detail too. For a while AMT had been selling their dealer promo models un-assembled as snap togethers under the Snap Fast line of kits.

The can build some nice looking models, even if you go simple B)

Day2PTCruiser5.jpg63Roadster1.jpgPrimedStingray3.jpg

HPIM111122.jpg

HPIM2484.jpg

Revell does have a severe and disappointing lack of Mopars in snap form though B)B)

Edited by Joe Handley

Jim,

The Revell snap kits are nice representations of the actual cars, they just are simplified versions. The recent '69 Camaros have the correct proportioned bodies and can be built quite quickly. I have built 4 of them this year and the nice thing is that after painting the body, it is only a matter of minutes before they are done and ready for the shelf!

I would suggest picking up one of them or any of the other Revell kits, I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

Merry Christmas

I would suggest picking up one of them or any of the other Revell kits, I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

Add to that the Revell '57 Bel Air and '63 Vette snap kits have some of the best 17" (or close) modern mag-type wheels evr kitted- Torque Thrust IIs in the '63 and American Racing Salt Flats in the '57. The wheels need work to be used with normal glue kit tires, but that's a small price to pay IMO.

A lot of kits with kid appeal are done as snap kits, Polar Light did an Ecto-1 from Ghostbusters, but it is a great start for a '59 Cadillac ambulance or hearse too. There were some Speed Racer kits too, the original cartoon's Mach 5 and the movie's Mach 6.