Model Cars Magazine Forum

1941 chevy pickup lowrider (Hell Train)PAINT TIME

Holy ######...!!!!!! I just spent almost 2 hours looking at all 17 pages on this thread and I have to say that I am totally blown away. Talk about getting carried away with a project... WOWSERS. I mean that in a GOOD way. I thought I got carried away with skulls and flames when I did my version of Hell Rod a couple of years ago, but this one is just nuts...(Good nuts).

IMHO I think you should definitely go with your original idea for color of the Blood Red theme... and maybe sneak in some ghost skulls and definitely some ghost flames.

There was a sheet of Reaper decals in a '64 Chevy Lowrider kit a few years ago that would definitely go with your theme here, although the colors in the decals probably wouldn't go with a red paint job.

Another suggestion for the red eyes in your taillight skulls would be small, red MV lenses which you can find in a well-stocked train section of hobby shops.

I have to look for that Italeri Gate kit in the military section. It is a GREAT piece for dioramas.

Thank you Darren for such an enjoyable, entertaining and fantastic build. Like everyone else here, I can't wait to see it painted and finished. Great job man.

Holy ######...!!!!!! I just spent almost 2 hours looking at all 17 pages on this thread and I have to say that I am totally blown away. Talk about getting carried away with a project... WOWSERS. I mean that in a GOOD way. I thought I got carried away with skulls and flames when I did my version of Hell Rod a couple of years ago, but this one is just nuts...(Good nuts).

IMHO I think you should definitely go with your original idea for color of the Blood Red theme... and maybe sneak in some ghost skulls and definitely some ghost flames.

There was a sheet of Reaper decals in a '64 Chevy Lowrider kit a few years ago that would definitely go with your theme here, although the colors in the decals probably wouldn't go with a red paint job.

Another suggestion for the red eyes in your taillight skulls would be small, red MV lenses which you can find in a well-stocked train section of hobby shops.

I have to look for that Italeri Gate kit in the military section. It is a GREAT piece for dioramas.

Thank you Darren for such an enjoyable, entertaining and fantastic build. Like everyone else here, I can't wait to see it painted and finished. Great job man.

Thank you Richard, yeah I do believe i went way over the top on this build more than I ever have, for sure ghost flames and skulls just torn between super shiny paint or a dr cranky paint job!!! I would love to see what cranky would do with this one for paint! I need to get on to the painting of this bad boy now, and I'm trying just have to get my house put together now that I moved. then get all my stuff and shop up and running.

Edited by Darren B

• 2 weeks later...

Yippie! The paint is going on. Making progress. This one will be done soon, I can feel it. Right? ;)

Dr.Cranky i hope its done soon i have reached the point that i either finish it or its gonna go in a box for the next five years. It has reached that point with me......

Thanks David and Cory, well was at the bench last night and after seeing the cab in silver found some places that need some more putty and primer and sanding work, if any one has the Don Yost vids you will really take a look at your builds closer when it comes to prep work (Thank you Don Yost) should be able to get better results after seeing your video.

Also took a break from the body work and am adding more stuff. Some spider webbed photo etch from wild hare models C/O Ken Hamilton (for the bed and cab windows) , and some model train parts to the casket.

0326120248.jpg

0326120119.jpg

For all the followers looking for paint on this build its coming just have a more open mind to looking for imperfections now after getting Yost's vids, i recommend anybody that can get the vids do it, i thought my paint jobs were smooth as glass and close to perfection but after the vids i was way off, and still needed to learn more.......most is in the prep work and there can be no skimping when it comes to the prep work.

Edited by Darren B

Killer! glad to see ypou back on this one!! :)

Ian, yeah just got everything pretty much situated after our move so i can devote some time to get back on it, i noticed that your from michigan, what part? I'm from the Benton Harbor area, lived there for 14 years then when my family moved we ended up in albuturkey n.m.. A long way away from home!

Darren, that's spider webbing is so cool. I had bought some from Ken a few years ago. They are really a wonderful detail.

Yes they are and just what i needed for this build. I got two sets one for the reapers ride and to have extras, Ken seemed to think that was all they had left, hopefully they can make more if others need them. Its just the perfect size for this scale but probably would work on larger scales. Now just to find some realistic style spiders, and i think ill be ready, problem is every time i sit down to work on the paint and graphics i end up adding more detail to it, its a sickness i guess!

I forgot about this one untill it just poped up again. Wow, crazy nice! What a thread man, you just wrote a book. You have the talent a lot of us wish we had. Good stuff!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, thing is we will see how much talent i have if i can paint this thing to look realistic.

• 3 weeks later...

0412120427b.jpg

0412120427a.jpg

Decided to go with this steering wheel (this build needs more spiders), over a chain steering wheel so ill make it up by adding a lot of chain license plate frames on the coffin and trailer. Had to put a bend in the column or the wheel was gonna smack the seat so to hide the fact there isn't a knuckle there for swivel joint will add a ton of barbed wire around it to hide it!

Edited by Darren B