Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Hemi Dart Super Stock

W-409

Thank you all for the nice words! Walt Francis, that Hemi Dart looks amazing, I love it in primer. This will be red, but that would be other choice for the color as well. I must continue this one with chassis and interior work soon...

Not a big update, but I did some test fitting on this. Body, chassis and engine are fitting nicely together. Now I think, I'm going to add dipstick to that engine, maybe some other things too... But now Hemi Dart is moved to the garage, and it's waiting for builder.

P4031497.jpg

• 5 months later...

Thanks, Andy,Randy and Tyrone! It was about time, yes, that's true. Maybe next week I paint some more, but now needs to wait until the paint is completely dry, then I can start sanding. And that's really weird, that Andy goes across this topic, and then bit later there comes an update after long break. :lol: Maybe I could continue the chassis while the body is drying.

Thanks, David! Next week I maybe have enough time to sand it, and then new coat of paint. Chassis needs to be done too, but right now I'm bit busy with the '57 Chevrolet. :rolleyes: Maybe next week I can get this build on the bench again. :P

Fantastic engine & gearbox detailing, looks like you could display that on a stand, on it own.

Looks a great build Niko. I'll have to check out your 57 Chevy.

The primer car looks great too, love the tyre marks.

I nearly bought 1 of these kits, but ended up with a Charger instead. Once I get paid again, I'm going for the Hemi Dart.

Edited by 57peppershaker

• 8 months later...

After some minor body work and sprayed new coat of primer for the body. Today I managed to paint it red. It's not excellent, but I guess it'll look good when decaled, cleared and polished.

P6100179.jpg

P6100177.jpg

P6100180.jpg

P6100181.jpg

Looking real good Niko! I'll be watching with interest as I'm currently building this same kit. I also think it's a great kit.

I was going to try to replicate the Mickey Weise Dart but have since decided to do a "phantom" racer.

If you haven't already seen this, check out the link below for LOTS of photos of Mickey's Dart. It makes for great reference material. KB

http://www.onlineautoconnection.com/1968%20Dodge%20Dart%20Mickey%20Weise%20Hemi%20New.htm

Burnout, thanks for the link. probably the best reference guide out there. I'm building a Joe Ralph Thompson version, red w/ black steel wheels. The 1st time they ran it was at Stuttgart Dragway in Arkansas. They were having a co-driver day, you had to have someone riding with you. I was 13 and 90 lbs. They wanted to tie me to the seat, but they could'nt catch me! I spent the day in Fuzz Sander's Fairlane stocker and most of the ride home throwing up my hot dogs! I think they put the dart in modified production that day cause no one knew how to classify it!

Edited by signguy2108

Thanks for the comments, guys!

And thanks for the pics too, they are really useful since I lost all of my reference material when my old computer died. Every reference picture from this and other builds too, are lost. :(

I decided to spray some clear for the body today. After that I can see how it looks and if it's great, I'll add decals but if not, then I don't. The result isn't perfect after paint, so let's see what one clear coat can do.

Burnout, thanks for the link. probably the best reference guide out there. I'm building a Joe Ralph Thompson version, red w/ black steel wheels. The 1st time they ran it was at Stuttgart Dragway in Arkansas. They were having a co-driver day, you had to have someone riding with you. I was 13 and 90 lbs. They wanted to tie me to the seat, but they could'nt catch me! I spent the day in Fuzz Sander's Fairlane stocker and most of the ride home throwing up my hot dogs! I think they put the dart in modified production that day cause no one knew how to classify it!

That's a great story Larry! Those were the days - that's for sure.

I got the body cleared. So far it looks pretty good and ready for decals and another coat of clear. But let's see again in the morning, when the paint is completely dry.

I will post pictures when it's decaled and next clearcoat has been sprayed. ;)

She's coming along Really Nice, Niko!

Can't wait to see it sitting on all fours with that color on the body. I think it's gonna look really cool. B)

I have one of these started that I really should get back on... I still remember seeing the picture of it in white about a year or so before it was released and wanting it SO badly! Just a mean lookin' vehicle and a great kit. I really like the slicks that come with it.