Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Challenger From "The Deuce Of Spades"-Completed 02-25

Bernard Kron

...One thing that would help you would be a photo of the CA license plate used in the film. I just added it here....

Thanks so much for the license plate, Jerry. I'll use it make a plate for the model, a very simple procedure. Very cool story, too! As long as I have the luxury of getting the straight skinny from "the horses mouth", how about a shot of the underside (although I don't need all 700!)? I haven't firmed up details like crossmembers, exhaust routing, etc. Meanwhile I'm homing in on tire and wheel choices, have selected a very cool manifold for the tri-carb setup, and lots more... BTW, what is the finish on the front axle and wishbones? Looks like it they might be painted a semi-gloss black. And of course, do you have any idea what that very bright red might be? Despite all these questions, I think I have a pretty good idea of the details now. Hopefully I can build a model that will properly represent this remarkably charismatic car.

Hey there B' nice build up fella and your vintage iron collection is one of my fav's! Will enjoy seeing this come to life... probably in the next couple of days! you zip right thru your build ups lol Keep on wit the keepin on!!!

peace

ajulia

Hi Bernie! Having this website hacked by some idiot was a real shocker. Not good!

Yes, I can post some photos of the underside that I'll take for you, but regretably I never got a copy of any of those 700 photos the CGI guy in Germany received. My buddy Pete, who took them, might still have some key photos in his files. I'll ask.

About the colors: all the undercarriage stuff like the rear axle housings, rear backing plates, wishbones, front axle, front/rear springs, drive shaft are semi-gloss black. Drums are flat black. Front brake backing plates are chrome.

The previous owner said the paint color is a Ford Truck color, custom matched so I don't have an official Ford code or a year to tell you (he gave me a pint and I had a gallon made up using the code he gave me). No clear coat. Believe it or not, it's Sherwin-Williams Automotive Paint. I never knew Sherwin-Williams did automotive paint but it turns out they have been doing it since the Thirties.

Frame is boxed, pinched (rear frame rails brought together so the body would fit over them) and bobbed (rear frame horns cut off). Rear crossmember unknown year, but the rear spring is Ford Model T I believe. Front crossmember has been modified to give the axle more of a rearward lean. Frame is mostly red, body color. Paint is old, not as nice as the body is. Frame is not X-ed, instead it has a "K" member. There is a single custom fabricated crossmember of 1.5" rectangular tubing picking up the rear of the Aluminum Powerglide.

Hope this helps!!

Edited by Challenger29

...Yes, I can post some photos of the underside that I'll take for you, ... About the colors: all the undercarriage stuff like the rear axle housings, rear backing plates, wishbones, front axle, front/rear springs, drive shaft are semi-gloss black. Drums are flat black. Front brake backing plates are chrome.

The previous owner said the paint color is a Ford Truck color, ...Frame is boxed, pinched ...and bobbed ... the rear spring is Ford Model T I believe. Front crossmember has been modified to give the axle more of a rearward lean. Frame is mostly red, body color. ...There is a single custom fabricated crossmember of 1.5" rectangular tubing...

Hi Jerry,

Thanx as always for the copious info. With the website down I forged ahead based on some screen grabs I made from the DVD. Also, with the substitution of a period correct Flathead and transmission the front crossmember will be slightly different in location and shape. Later today I'll post some pictures of the work I've done. I've sort of been jumping all over the place, working on the engine, interior, and chassis as the mood strikes me. I've also identified what I think will be a proper front axle for the build. Looks like I've gotten most things fairly correct. From your comments. the one thing I did do that is probably incorrect is install a rear tubular crossmember based on the screengrabs. Before I remove it I'll publish a picture of it just to be sure I should. It certainly seemed to be there in the screen grabs I took, but... nothing like the real thing for reference!

Thanks again so much for all the objective facts on this car. I have gotten several nice messages from folks commenting on the look of the car and how "cool" it is. I'm sure it has piqued the interest in the both the car and the movie by some that might have overlooked them.

Bernard

Pete just sent me this photo they took for the CGI guy in Germany. OMG! I'm glad I wasn't there!

This photo was taken November 13, 2008, there at the Callaway Compound next to the El Mirage Dry Lake Bed (viewers of the film saw the 100+ cars stored there on the grounds). This was taken just after filming was completed and about three months before I bought the car. As Joann in the film would say in her Texas accent "It was a mess!!" The heavy duty forklift used, is a WWII Forklift from an Aircraft Carrier, used to handle bombs. Along with a special open topped cage, Faith used it as a Camera Platform in the midnight Drag Race and final Desert Scenes. That was pretty amazing too!

From this photo you can see quite a lot of details, most of which I've improved since buying the car. Hope it helps! More photos if you need them. -Jerry:>)

post-7471-0-54883200-1294549336_thumb.jp

Edited by Challenger29

Pete just sent me this photo they took for the CGI guy in Germany. OMG! I'm glad I wasn't there!

This photo was taken November 13, 2008, there at the Callaway Compound next to the El Mirage Dry Lake Bed (viewers of the film saw the 100+ cars stored there on the grounds). This was taken just after filming was completed and about three months before I bought the car. It was a mess!! The forklift used, is a WWII Forklift from an Aircraft Carrier, used to handle bombs. Faith used it as a Camera Platform in several of the Desert Scenes. That was pretty amazing too!

From this photo you can see quite a lot of details, most of which I've improved since buying the car. Hope it helps! More photos if you need them. -Jerry:>)

Okay, Bernie,

You asked for it; you got it. :D

Now that you have a detailed underside photo, there better not be a wire, line, hose, tube, nut or bolt out of place on your model! B)

Seriously, Wow! How's that for reference material.

<_<

I've kinda been jumping around from one part to another on this build, the nresult being that I;ve gotten a little bit done in several areas.

I've gotten the interior to the point where it's starting to resemble the original. The bolsters along the top of the seat and along the front of the bottom are cut from the Revell '32 Ford Roadster seat. All the rest except the floor, which is from the AMT '29 Ford Roadster kit, is styrene stock. This is a rough mockup held together with rubber cement. The seams will be filled in with quarter round styrene. I'll paint all the panels separately and then assemble them to get as clean a separation between panels as I can. I still have to figure out how to model the contour of the seat back bolster where it meets the tops of the doors.

DSCF3288-web.jpg

I did the rear crossmember before Jerry sent me the undercarriage picture. As mentioned above, it's based on a screen grab from the DVD. I guessed pretty well as to the shape and location but the 1:1 has a square tube crossmember so I'll remove this and substitute the square stock when I buy some this weekend. I'll probably keep the Revell floor pan instead of making up one like the one shown in the Jerry's picture because it's an integral part of the frame structure and cutting it up at this point would be a major nightmare. I will, however, fill in the slot down the middle.

DSCF3291-web.jpg

This is the motor which is about half done. The block and transmission are from the Revell '40 Ford coupe. The heads are beautiful renderings of Evans high compression heads from Model Car Garage. They also make Sharp, Offenhauser, and Edelbrock versions, all in both front and center port variants! They are drop dead gorgeous. Unfortunately they're a little tall for the Revell block, even though they're the proper width, so I had to add some material to the deck of the block to bring the intake manifold in alignment. The intake manifold and the offset fanbelt are from Early Years Resin while the carbs, air cleaners and Mallory "crab" style distributor are all from Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Maryland. Yeah, I know, the carbs are all cockeyed. I've already removed them. They go on straight the next time!

DSCF3295-web.jpg

These are the rear tires and wheels. The tires actually off of the Monogram 1/24th'57 Corvette but they measure out almost perfectly for 16" wheels in 1/25th. The red color was painted in using Photoshop to get an idea what they might look like. The 16" Ford style wheels are from ThePartsBox.com. The baby Moons are from the AMT '40 Ford Sedan Delivery kit. The front tires are planned to be Modelhaus T-120C's, but delivery from them will take several weeks so either I find an alternate source for them or a proper substitute. Since the tires and wheels are so much a part of the signature look of the car this is important stuff. You'll note that the rears aren't dished as on the 1:1. This is in keeping with the "idealized" version along the lines of the flathead power (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it).

DSCF3323-web.jpg

Finally, here's a picture of the front axle I'm using, courtesy of ThePartsBox.com. A very nice resin casting of a genuine I-Beam dropped axle that fits the Revell front crossmember perfectly. It comes with finned front drums which I've sanded off to represent the plain items on the 1:1.

1137.jpg

That's it for now. Massive thanks to Jerry for all the great pics and background info.

Thanx for lookin'

B.

I can't tell you how honored and impressed I am that you are building this model of Challenger. You are doing such a fantastic tribute to the car and our film! It's amazing what you are creating. Way to go Bernie!

I'm posting a few more detail shots that might help you or others who might want to tackle this project. Probably way too much detail, but you never know what might help.

The gauge cluster that hangs under the dash is a unique piece and I think can be seen in the film, or at least in the Promo Shots taken by Peter Torres visible at the DEUCE OF SPADES website, under Faith's Blog postings. Anyways, it is a vintage bracket with an old hand pump used to pressurize a gas tank for racing, back in the day. They were usually used for small gas tanks, that didn't have an adaquate fuel pump or none at all. It also has the Stewart-Warner AMP and GAS Gauges in it. The knob on the left is a remote idle speed throttle control. The stock Model A Gauge cluster has been modified to hold the Stewart-Warner TEMP and OIL PRESSURE Gauges. The button with the red ring in the middle is the Horn Button.

post-7471-0-08821700-1294469604_thumb.jp

post-7471-0-60095500-1294549412_thumb.jp

post-7471-0-75715100-1294549453_thumb.jp

post-7471-0-07183100-1294549484_thumb.jp

post-7471-0-66652800-1294549515_thumb.jp

post-7471-0-73067300-1294549555_thumb.jp

post-7471-0-53920300-1294549591_thumb.jp

Edited by Challenger29

...I'm posting a few more detail shots that might help you or others who might want to tackle this project. Probably way too much detail, but you never know what might help.

The gauge cluster that hangs under the dash is a unique piece ... it is a vintage bracket with an old hand pump used to pressurize a gas tank for racing, back in the day. ...

Thanx again Jerry. The honor is mine (or is it foolhardiness? We'll see how the build comes out...). The additional detail shots are invaluable. You can never have too much detail. ;) For example I had thought the carpeting was black and that the panels were a darker maroon than they appear to be. They're almost body color. The basic accessory panel is available in a ton of AMT kits but the manual fuel pump is fairly rare. I have one and I'll try my hand at replicating this great little piece. It would be a cool detail, just like in the 1:1!

BTW, the orginal picture of the interior you posted got lost during the recent hacking attack (see post #16 above). Would you be able to repost it? Also, a front view of the interior would be cool. (Am I getting greedy or what?...)

Hi Bernie!

I just fixed Entry #16 on Page One and added a few more photos you might like. Note how the horizontal break on the tuck & rolled seat back matches the door panels. A continous line.

Need any more photos? I have many in my files and the car is sitting in my garage you know. Hah!

Sorry about some of the low res photos. I ran out of allowed file space! -Jerry:>)

post-7471-0-33912900-1294604250_thumb.jp

post-7471-0-29214800-1294604280_thumb.jp

Thank you Matt! Glad to be contributing to this project of Bernies. One of our primary reasons for doing the DEUCE OF SPADES Movie was to help re-kindle the interest in Traditional Style Hot Rods from the Forties and Fifties. "Bring back the Jalopies" as Faith would say. The film along with various car magazines and the HD Theater show AMERICAN ICON: THE HOT ROD are also helping in this resurgence.

I'm hoping others will want to make their own copies of the Challenger for their collections, and maybe even The Deuce and Tommy's '35 Ford Pickup. We know that three individual modelers are making large 1/8th scale versions of the three cars. I'm hoping they will connect with this Blog too. We'd all love to see how they are progressing.

If you have any questions about the making of the film, or the cars, I can answer most of them as I was there for 2/3's of the filming. Two years of my life. I'm the Detective and The "big mouth" Judge (watch the film and you'll know what I mean), and in the background about 8-9 times. I made many of the props and sets. Worked night and day with Faith and the Team. Many many hours, but alot of fun, and many lifetime friendships were made. It's one of my greatest accomplishments and I'm proud to share it with all of you!

P.S.- My garage is Faith's Garage in the film. The rear portion of my garage, is Monk's train room. Insider info: the brown wall in the back is really a heavy canvas tarp used temporarily to separate the 1100 sq ft garage into two parts. The same tarp was used to cover The Deuce in the first part of the film. The eyelets on the tarp were spaced perfectly so we could use the existing bolts on the beam to hold it up. A DOS Miracle!

post-7471-0-09009300-1294632859_thumb.jp

Edited by Challenger29

WOW! What a neat contributory thread.

Jerry, on behalf of modelers everywhere, thank you not only for the kind words you've shown Bernard (who's one of the best builders in the country, anyway,) but for sharing your information, pictures and everything else. It's very thoughtful of you to do that, and I think it's safe to say it doesn't go unappreciated by any of us.

Bernard- as always, an excellent job.

Charlie Larkin

WOW! What a neat contributory thread.

Bernard (who's one of the best builders in the country, anyway,)

Charlie Larkin

:D:) Atta-Boy Bernard!! ;) ;)

I love it...

isn't it neat, a model takes on a whole new dimension when the dude who owns the real car gets involved?

keep on buildin' buddy

c'ya soon!

Here are a few more detail shots that might help Bernie or someone else who might decide to model Challenger. The steering wheel shot shows the tilt wheel lever (I hate that tilt steering wheel column; very non-era correct looking), the headlight switch knob and ignition switch. No idea what year or make that tilt wheel set-up came from, but I do know the steering box is a 1967 Mustang. Note that the steering wheel is a slightly dished track style wheel. Like you, I'm eager to see how Bernie is progressing!

post-7471-0-68920900-1294719483_thumb.jp

post-7471-0-54364600-1294719510_thumb.jp

post-7471-0-09871200-1294719536_thumb.jp

Edited by Challenger29

It is cool, isn't it. :rolleyes:B) Curt's right, my whole approach to this build has changed since Jerry showed up and shared with us all the great pictures and inside details. Unfortunately the die is cast in certain areas, notably the chassis, where the Revell floor panel is an integral part of the stricture. I looked into tearing it apart but sadly I did such a good job of gluing that it would have ,meant almost as much work to cut the panel out as it would to scratch up a new set of rails. I'll try to capture the spirit of the original while keeping what I''ve got (kinda like Jerry's stealth 4-link).

I have, however, completely torn apart the interior for a redo, Tonight I made up a larger and deeper bolster for the seat back. This is so there's a continuous line between the back and side trim pieces as Jerry pointed out. I also moved the lower panel in the seat back further rearward. This means new side panels and seat bottom as well. That's next up but won't look any different than the first try.

DSCF3327-web.jpg

I started with the original Revell Deuce Roadster piece and extended it downward using various pieces of have round and quarter round styrene. Then I added some half round side bits to extend the sides to meet up with the two side trim pieces. Finally I sanded and files the whole mess into a shape resembling the original. Tomorrow I'll add filler and sand some more ... and add filler and sand some more ... and add filler and sand some more ... and...

Finally, in the amazing but true department here's something Dave Zinn noticed in Jerry's picture. of the underside. When they hoisted the car up on the fork lift for the CGI shots they left the motor running!!!! Have a look (this is a blowup of the photo Jerry posted):

DSC_0529-underside-sm-spinning.jpg

The only thing I can think off that makes any sense is that the CGI guys asked that the shots resemble the action in the movie as closely as possible, The special effect where these photos are used is one where The Challenger's motor is running wide open (but I won't reveal why - see the movie!).

Anyway, thanks to every one for the gracious and kind comments (although I've got an awfully long way to go to achieve the abilities of some of the builders on the boiard...). I'm trying to get this puppy done in time for the NNL West at the end of February so there better be some more updates from me real soon..

Thanx for lookin',

B.

Great stuff Bernie!! It's really shaping up!

While LUCKILY I wasn't there to watch my soon to be purchased Hot Rod hoisted up by 4 straps, I was even more shocked to notice that the flywheel/Torque Converter and Alternator pulley were a blur! There was no good reason to leave the engine running except that maybe they were afraid the Battery was too low to restart it later. Keep in mind that my Hot Rod was stored in the back of a 40' Semi-Trailer, for months at a time. And it's a remote location, just 1000' west of El Mirage Drylake Bed. The trailer is about 100' from the big metal walled Hot Rod Shop, which you saw Faith walking thru in the film. Hooking up a Battery Charger was a pain I'm sure.

The underside of the car was a mess. It's getting better all the time. I've cleaned up and painted many parts, replaced the chrome pan with a new one, added a restored oil filter cannister, replaced the NAPA Alternator with a chrome one, re-routed lines, emergency brake cables, etc.

BTW, I'm having problems locating a Torque Converter Cover for that tranny. I've bought two, and neither fit at all. So much for all Aluminum Powerglides being the same! I'll keep searching...

Edited by Challenger29

While LUCKILY I wasn't there to watch my soon to be purchased Hot Rod hoisted up by 4 straps, I was even more shocked to notice that the flywheel/Torque Converter and Alternator pulley were a blur! There was no good reason to leave the engine running except that maybe they were afraid the Battery was too low to restart it later.

TOO funny!

:rolleyes:

Hi Bernie-

Earlier you mentioned the color of the tuck & roll. It's a burgundy, but it does sort of match the exterior color. I should take more photos, without any flash just to clarify things. As for the exterior color a Duplicolor Torch Red might be good. The carpet is also sort of a Burgundy, not really a full red. The dash board is in need of a repaint badly. It will be a semi-gloss black after I strip it down and massage a small dent out of it.

We kid about my Hot Rod being a Hot Rod that has EVERYTHING: No bumpers, No fenders. No radio, No Heater, No wipers, No directionals, No A/C, No power steering, No power anything, etc. I love that it's such a contrast to my 2010 modern car that really does have everything. Wouldn't change either one! Each have their fun qualities. I must admit driving Challenger on the Freeways at 11 pm at 65 mph can be a fun experience!

Jerry:>)

Edited by Challenger29