Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Truck Big Wreck

Yes this to me is a disaster as far as models go. :o

My Grand-daughter lives with us and her little kitten was over for a visit. Due to go home this weekend. :D

This happened Wednesday night.

Well the kitten got in my model room,on my shelf and knocked the Pete off the shelf. :)

However when I made my statements about the cat leaving right then. My wife and grand-daughter started moving

like EMTs on the crash seen. And the cat was saved :lol::lol::lol:

And for the cats safety NO MORE VISITS ALLOWED.

My grand-daughter is 13,she understands,and is also mad with the cat. :lol:

Will I rebuild them? Don't know. :P

The kits were a mix of a few that I have built over the years.Oldest one was a 57 Chevy detailed

and built 14 years ago. It looked like it was built yesterday.

Most were detailed,but o-well when I thought about it,really is just material things.

And life go's on. ;)

This is the loss.The bikes are not a complete loss they will be fixed.

models044.jpg

modelgroup64.jpg

modelgroup82.jpg

Edited by ewaskew

I'm sorry to hear your great work was destroyed, Earl. I love cats and have four of my own, but I think if one of mine ever destroyed one of my projects, I'd make an exception!! :):angry: Luckily, only one ever even goes into my model area, but mostly it's when I'm there to supervise, this is the closest she's ever gotten to a partially completed build.

HPIM2208.jpg

In the odd chance the kitten does ever comes back for a visit, here's a couple tips to avoid another tragedy in the future, and how I trained all four of my "kids" to stay away from my building desk and any other areas they are not allowed. The first is get one of those cheap dollar store spray bottles and fill it with water. When the kitten goes near some place you don't want it to be, give it a squirt or two of water from the bottle, as long as there is nothing electronic or such that can be destroyed by a missed spray. Also, the closer to the forehead, the better. This might sound mean, but after we got our three youngest "kids", our vet suggested this as a very effective training tool, and it does work well. They associate the area with something they hate, since most cats hate water, and if they know they will get a spray of water jumping on a certain area, they stay away.

Another idea if the area is away from where you might not be aware the kitten is going, say in a basement area while you're upstairs or a different room from where you are, is a boundary spray. Spray some of this before the kitten comes to visit whereever you don't want it going, it's supposed to have a scent that is not pleasant to the kitten, but is unnoticed by human smell. The only downfall is if the kitten is visiting for more than a day, you must retreat the areas every 24 hours.

Thanks for all the replies and thanks for the tip highway.

After thinking it over I have decided to rebuild all of them again.

It will be one big project.

The pete will have to go back down to the frame since the sleeper is loose and other issues.

If the paint is damaged to bad I'll just redo the whole thing as a new kit.

I'll post some photo's as I go it's just one big WIP right.

Thanks again

Earl

God Bless

Duct tape, cats hate it. Just roll over a strip of tape making it double sided and place a roll every where there is enough shelf for a cat to sit. As soon as their foot hits the tape they leave, they quickly learn the shelves are not fun places to sit and other than an occasional loss of hair it doesn't hurt the cat.

Damage Photos

Two were not that bad 57Chevy and 85 Monte Carlo SS

It will be some time before I rebuild these.

When the urge hits me to tinker I'll start with the least damaged one and get this mess back together.

PS The baby on the floor is a toy just so theres no problems with local officials <_<B):D

wreckedtruck008.jpg

wreckedtruck018.jpg

wreckedtruck013.jpg

wreckedtruck017.jpg

wreckedtruck011.jpg

wreckedtruck022.jpg

Edited by ewaskew

That a real shame what that cat did this was a beautiful rig with a fabulous load I remember it's one of the first US car hauler models that I came across, at least you can always rebuild and it's not a total right off, if you want to pay the cat back ( science experiment ) and have a laugh at the same time put a cardboard cylinder around its body and the saying cats always land on there feet goes right out the window ;):lol:

Cheers Cossett

Edited by cossett

OHHHHHhhh that just hurts!!!! But yeah, it doesn't LOOK to be like stuff got flat out BROKEN, as much as parts just came loose an fell off. A CREDIT to your building skills! The damage ISN'T so bad you can't bring them back. But WHAT a drag to have lost them in the first place. I'm NOT a real cat person. I LIKE them, but not enough to have one. I like dog's, they're not so quiet.:lol::D;) ;)

We have cats too and a water squirt gun works really well with most of them. One of ours is 16 now and when she was about 1 she packed off a engine from the 77 Ford pickup kit I was building....never did find it B).My build area has a door on it and they usually remember its off limits to them so they just wait for me to come out. Sorry to hear about the builds but at least it looks like there restore-able and you found all the parts for them but its still a bummer looks like some nice work.

Tim's right. Never give up on it. Set it back, and bring out one or two cars at a time to repair them. Work on the truck at intervals, and you'll be surprised at how fast it will all take shape. The only problem I have in restoring models, is I find places where I can still make them better, and often, they take on a life of their own. Good luck.