Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Plymouth Hemi Road Runner

mrmike

I hate wetsanding! I usually end up with more water up my sleeves than in the pan. It had to be done though, since the finish was very rough and almost to the point of looking like the hot paint had crazed the plastic. As hard as I try, painting is still a hit or miss with me. I should get Donn Yost's DVD's and learn how to paint correctly and consistantly.

HemiRR28.jpg

HemiRR29.jpg

HemiRR30.jpg

Back to the paintbooth!

More to come.....

I am wondering what kind of primer you're using? I use the primer sealer first, By duplicolor, Then mist on 2-3 light coats of the sandable primer made by them. I wet sand it after the last coat. Then mist on the first coats of color, Let them dry or gas out for about an hour, Then proceed to the heavy gloss coats. I have had the same problem, And it frustrates the heck out of me. So I tryed that method, And it seemed to work the best for me, The tamiya primers are great for the automotive enamels, But not the Laquers, It's trial and error sometimes, Untill you find the best combonation of primers that work the best, I explained how I do my priming , Yes it seems like you would want to do it the other way around, But thats how it works for me, Another way is to seal the plastic with 2 light coats of tamiya primer, Then use the sealer , And finish it off with the sandable primer, Wet sand it with a 1800 grit polishing cloth on the rubber block that comes in the kit, Then shoot your color. Sounds confusing, But I have had no problems using this method. I hope this helps, I love that color on that car.

I had used two coats of Tamiya Gray Primer, neither light nor really heavy. After a long discussion yesterday with a good modeling friend, my application of paint may have been too heavy as I was following MCW's instructions. When I get to painting again, I may do a light, but not quite a mist coat of paint and see how it goes.

I sat down to wire the Hemi this afternoon.

HemiRR31.jpg

What this kit lacks is an ignition coil. With ingenuity being the mother of invention, I made my own out of a piece of round stock. I drilled a hole in the center, some glue and a piece of plug wire, and I have a coil!

HemiRR32.jpg

Some semigloss black paint, a small strip of foil, and the coil is complete. I just need to run the coil wire into the distributor.

HemiRR33.jpg

More to come.....

Everything is looking good and glad you got though the hood problem.

Or so I thought! After painting the hood and body again, I set them aside and have not looked at them for 5 days. I pulled them out this morning and noticed that the hot paint ate it's way through the hood again! Since the area in question is to painted flat black, I masked off that area and skimmed a thin coat of Bondo Glazing Putty over the gaps. I'll sand it smooth and paint it black. I am getting tired of fighting with this stupid hood!

HemiRR37.jpg

The Hemi is now complete with its new chrome hat!

HemiRR38.jpg

I always seem to be forgetting something. I forgot to paint the subframe and the wheels, so I took care of that.

HemiRR39.jpg

More to come.....

Charlie, I have had quite a few discussions with a modeling friend of mine who use to work for Chrysler Corporation many years ago. He thinks I am becoming burnt out and I think I am not. For all the kits I have successfully built over the years, there will always be those kits that just refuse to go together and this is one of them. I can't place 100% of the blame on the kit itself, so I think it's 50/50, which means that I am part of the problem. But, this how I learn from my own mistakes. I messed it up somewhere along the line and i can correct it to the best of my abilities. I have accepted that I am part of the problem.

I thought I had the hood problem taken care of, but I was wrong. Well, no more! I am pushing forward with this model whether this kit likes it or not. It will be finished to my satisfaction!

Despite the hood issues, looks like the build is going great. I love steel wheels and dog dishes. I think builds that challenge us make us better - unless they crush our enthusiasm, make us break all the plastic in our house and burn the surviving pieces.

The hard work and determination will pay off.

Thanks guys!

Thursday afternoon, I painted the body parts of the Road Runner.

HemiRR13.jpg

HemiRR15.jpg

Then I looked at the hood this morning and was not happy with it. The heat of the lacquer paint got through the thin plastic that is scored for removal and melted the plastic on top. This is going to take more than just wet sanding to fix.

HemiRR14.jpg

More to come.....

Hi there mrmike, I really like the way your 68 Road Runner turned out. Im new to this model building and was wondering where i would be able to purchase those stands that you used for painting your Road Runner. I was also wondering where i would be able to buy that hemi orange spray paint you used for your motor

Thanks

Thanks Erik! I will prevail! :)

Nelson, Welcome to the MCM forum and to the hobby! I bought my Tamiya Work/Painting Stands from my local hobby shop, but you can also order them from MicroMark.

http://www.micromark.com/SearchResult.aspx?deptIdFilter=0&searchPhrase=tamiya+spray-work+painting+stand+set

The Mopar Street Hemi Orange Engine Enamel paint is available from Summit Racing. BTW, this is actual Mopar engine paint.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=Mopar%20Hemi%20Orange%20Engine%20Enamel&dds=1

Thanks Erik! I will prevail! :)

Nelson, Welcome to the MCM forum and to the hobby! I bought my Tamiya Work/Painting Stands from my local hobby shop, but you can also order them from MicroMark.

http://www.micromark.com/SearchResult.aspx?deptIdFilter=0&searchPhrase=tamiya+spray-work+painting+stand+set

The Mopar Street Hemi Orange Engine Enamel paint is available from Summit Racing. BTW, this is actual Mopar engine paint.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=Mopar%20Hemi%20Orange%20Engine%20Enamel&dds=1

Thanks, Ill look in to that

Love the RR despite the hood problems. Let me add that the engine paints are hot paints so use a good primer under them so it wont melt the plastic. Learned the hard way. I have a fav. color that lays down perfect every time without the primer. Then one day it softened up some thin plastic to the point I could push my finger through it with easy. Now I use the primer and if it does not lay down right, then the paint does not look right. So now I have to be extra careful with it all.

DW, since I have been using the Mopar engine paints I have not experienced and problems with melting plastic at all. And, I don't us primer on the engine! Go figure! :(

This morning, I spent some time working on the Road Runner. I worked on the seats and interior side panels a bit. I also did some sanding and prep for the flat black Performance Hood Treatment.

HemiRR40.jpg

I let the paint dry for a few minutes and removed the masking tape. The hood looks pretty good!

HemiRR41.jpg

I added the suspension, engine, and dog house.

HemiRR42.jpg

More to come.....

DW, since I have been using the Mopar engine paints I have not experienced and problems with melting plastic at all. And, I don't us primer on the engine! Go figure! :(

This morning, I spent some time working on the Road Runner. I worked on the seats and interior side panels a bit. I also did some sanding and prep for the flat black Performance Hood Treatment.

More to come.....

I know what you mean. I used it for ever and guess I just finally found some thin plastic kits. I ran into it with a Dupli-color semi gloss engine paint that I really liked too. I painted the rear axles of a semi truck. Later picked them up and pressed a dent into one of them while trying to install it. Quite some time after paint and it was dry. Guess my luck just ran out.

Hood looks good. I can't see in the pic where it's been fixed.

Hood looks good. I can't see in the pic where it's been fixed.

Then I guess my hard work paid off! I just looked at it again and I can't see the damaged areas at all! To quote Col. Hannibal Smith, "I love it when a plan comes together." :D

The engine compartment is almost there. Another detail or two and it'll be done.

HemiRR43.jpg

The bottom of the chassis is done. I won't add the wheels and tires until the chassis, interior, and body are together then I can space the wheels and tires correctly in the wheel wells.

HemiRR44.jpg

The interior is coming along. Just a few more details to add.

HemiRR45.jpg

More to come.....