Model Cars Magazine Forum

SIX-TEE

Lyle Willits

Yeah, another AMT Double "T" build,,,,but different. I wanted to make this look like a unique sixties show car. Not a weird, non-running show car, but a car that travelled the show circuit.

IMG_0203-vi.jpg

IMG_0207-vi.jpg

IMG_0212-vi.jpg

IMG_0213-vi.jpg

IMG_0216-vi.jpg

IMG_0217-vi.jpg

Detailed 6 cylinder from AMT '37 Chevy. Only had to make the two front motor mounts, with no other frame modifications. Used the left side headers from the Beatnik Bandit after carefully reshaping them and then drilled them out. Made and polished an aluminum firewall. Exspanded metal mesh grille. Windshield support wires are guitar strings. Interior bucket is from the last reissue of the kit in the '90's. Scratchbuilt "wood" and metal roof supports. Krylon yellow, decals from a Revell '32 Ford kit and LOTS of polished clear.

BTW - I DO NOT build a new model every week. This one was started and almost finished last fall. I just got around to finishing the details this week. :unsure:

Nice looking hot rod, Lyle.

Could you possibly elaborate on the process you use for wood? The steering wheel looks very good and I believe some of yuor past builds have have wood that looks like burlwood.

It's hard to just "tell" someone how to woodgrain. It really needs a demonstration - but here it goes.

I generally use Polly Scale paints for woodgraining. These are water-based acrylics. I apply YELLOW first and let it dry. Then I brush on thinned brown paints of various shades. Pick up VERY small amounts of paint on the brush and apply it in lines or streaks, as the grain in real wood. When dry, the colors will be flat. Apply clear, either Tamiya clear from a jar or you can spray Testors or Tamiya clear coat. The clear is what makes the finished job look like wood.

Practice on an old unuseable car body or sheet plastic.

I taught all this to Irv Arter a few years ago and people on all the forums immediately started calling it the Irv Arter method of woodgraining. :lol:

Irv took pictures of the process. In the photos, Irv used Testors water-based acrylics.

http://public.fotki.com/IrvinArterJr/irvins_model_cars-1/ford_models/1948_ford_woody_wagon/

Excellent! I love how many variations you guys have found with this kit, I'm usually not big on T Buckets, but this one may just turn me.....

Be interesting to see a thread on just this kit, showing all the different takes on it..... Sorry, can't start one as I haven't built mine yet!