Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Cars of Rock 'n' Roll and Country Music

CorvairJim

Great builds everyone :) if its not too late I would like to join the build with "little Duece Coupe" by the Beach Boys. I have already started building the Revell 32 Ford 5 Window Coupe. Here is the link to my "On The Workbench" post for my build: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57776

Edited by MoparManiac318

Congratulations Jim. It looks like your time and effort paid off, it looks nice. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing one more photo that shows us more of the car as a whole to get a sense of its character. Maybe a side 3/4 from a few inches farther back.

That shouldn't be a problem, Mike. The model is still where I shoot my pictures. I also realized after the fact that I hadn't posted any shots of the undercarriage, so I'll have to shoot one of that as well.

David, consider yourself in with your "Little Deuce Coupe". I'll post your entry on the first page of the CBP when I have a little more time.

• 1 month later...

Better late than never... I guess it's time to finally get started! I now have most of the pieces for the "Eleven long haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus" ready to go. I have a Revell microbus kit, a California Roller reissue if I want to eliminate the top windows, three boxes of different figures and a very rough idea of how this might all go together in my head! It will be abit of a slow build, as I am also working on another project right now. I will get some pictures up after the weekend, and start building.

Welcome back, Dave! I've been hoping this build wouldn't die off completely, since it seemed to get off to such a great start last year. I think there are only maybe half a dozen builds completed so far. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with your Microbus (I hope you have a source for plenty of "Flower Power" and peace sign decals!).

On an ironic side note, just yesterday I saw an early 70's-style Microbus Westfalia pulled over by the local police - for what I don't know... :wacko:

you know, I suppose it's about time I get back to these builds. With school out for a while and only part time work, I should have plenty of time to get back to the bench. Life has slowed down enough...

This is where I left off, and I hope to make some progress this evening...

DSCF0101.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Jim I may have to do another for this build, was working on my '32 Ford 5 Window and had the radio on, noticed the lyrics in Bruce Springsteen's Ram Rod:

Hey, little dolly with the blue jeans on

I wanna ramrod with you honey, till half-past dawn

Let your hair down sugar and pick up this beat

Come on and meet me tonight down on Bluebird Street

I've been working all week, I'm up to my neck in hock

Come Saturday night I let my ramrod rock

She's a hot stepping Hemi with a four on the floor

She's a roadrunner engine in a '32 Ford

Late at night when I'm dead on the line

I swear I think of your pretty face when I let her unwind

Well look over yonder see them city lights

Come on little dolly 'n' go ramroddin' tonight

Come on, come on, come on little baby

Come on, come on let's shake it tonight

Come on, come, come on little sugar

Dance with your daddy and we'll go ramroddin' tonight

Hey, little dolly won't you say you will

Meet me tonight up on top of the hill

Well just a few miles cross the county line

There's a cute little chapel nestled down in the pines

Say you'll be mine little girl I'll put my foot to the floor

Give me the word now sugar, we'll go ramroddin' forever more

This is where my '32 is at:

GEDC2097.jpg

GEDC2099.jpg

GEDC2104.jpg

Funniest part is that the motor is from the AMT '68 RoadRunner kit.

Nick

One basic problem with your proposal, Nick: The basic guidelines to this CBP as I laid them out in the beginning state that each song is only to be done once. (A quote from the first posting: "HERE'S THE CATCH: There will be only ONE of each car or truck eligible for this Community Build. So if you want to build a Little Deuce Coupe" - Not that that one hasn't been done to death already! - you should probably get your name on it early!") Back on November 24 of last year, 57peppershaker requested that build. I haven't heard from him since, and at the time he didn't have the engine for his Deuce. Get with him; if he's OK with you taking over the song, it's fine with me. After Sammy's Trans Am, I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in mind for The Boss's Ram Rod!

I've been thinking, guys: This CBP has been kind of foundering of late, with only one or two posts per month. What would you think if I were to lift the "One Build Per Song" rule as laid out in the first post? Nick wants to build a car that's already been taken but I haven't seen any progress on in half a year. By now, I'm sure some of you guys have ideas for some of the cars that have already been done, or have even thought "NO! How could he have gotten the idea of that song so entirely WRONG???" So let me know. If there's enough interest one way or the other, I'll happily go with the consensus. If I'm met with a collective yawn, I'll just go with my gut.

I think it's cool to let people start taking second shots at songs. I think the rule served its purpose, but it would be fun to open it up. (Especially where the first model never got built.)

BTW, speaking of not built... My microbus is staring at me from the project table every day, but it isn't putting itself together. I have had a very hectic Holiday at work, but I do intend to start working on it later in the week. It will be a very slow build, as I will probably rough out one figure at a time, then I will need to figure out how to stuff them into the van. (I think it might be best to assemble the body around the interior and figures) Many of the figures will be hands and heads on scratched bodies. I will certainly have to add some facial hair to a few of them to get the true Hippy Vibe going.

"Slow and steady wins the race", Dave. Good to hear that you're still here and still hanging in on the build. The original deadline was waived many months ago, so waiving another ground rule won't be any precedent-setting big deal. I'll put you down for the first "Yea" vote.

Jim, I'm glad the deadline was waived because I actually made a feable start on a project for this. I never announced it because I don't know how committed I can be to it this year and I've always thought it's unfair to the thread's followers to vanish after presenting a hyped up start. However I do respect those who at least inform of their DNF. Love the topic. I might still jump in after Cannonball.

Hi gang, was invited to join this CBP, and man there is some great stuff going on here, so I think I will go ahead an jump in here with my version of Black Sunshine Mustang, guess I will just show the wip, and close the other thread, from here on out, I will just post the wip here, and hope, you guys are willing to be honest, and as forthcoming as some of the other members, I like ideas too, and I cant see it all but you can see what I missed, so let me know, you wont hurt my feelings.

Right now im working on lowering the front, as it will have 19" an 23" chrome Ts as wheels, or I just might go the whole black out treatment, not sure yet.....

Thank you CorvairJim for the invite....

cble.jpg

cble009.jpg

cble012.jpg

cble010.jpg

cble017.jpg

100_0203.jpg

Welcome aboard, Michael! I'm liking what I see of your 'Stang so far. The body mods are really creative, especially the use of the later Mustang bumper as the front spoiler. I like the way you adapted the later Mustang hood to the earlier body... It looks like it was made for it from the git-go! I'm curious about the pencil outline on the right-side sail panel - is that an idea for a new quarter window? It blends well with the lines of the car and predicts what Ford would do 20 years later on the European Ford Sierra (Merkur XR4Ti here in the states).

I guess this makes it official: The old rule about any song only being 'done' once has gone by the boards. Let's see how YOU interpret ANY song that you like, even if someone's done it for this CBP already. Thinking about it, that's the idea of the build anyway: To see how different people interpret what they hear.

One basic problem with your proposal, Nick: The basic guidelines to this CBP as I laid them out in the beginning state that each song is only to be done once. (A quote from the first posting: "HERE'S THE CATCH: There will be only ONE of each car or truck eligible for this Community Build. So if you want to build a Little Deuce Coupe" - Not that that one hasn't been done to death already! - you should probably get your name on it early!") Back on November 24 of last year, 57peppershaker requested that build. I haven't heard from him since, and at the time he didn't have the engine for his Deuce. Get with him; if he's OK with you taking over the song, it's fine with me. After Sammy's Trans Am, I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in mind for The Boss's Ram Rod!

Fine with me Jim, unfortunatly its been a while since I worked on the 32. But I was lucky enough to source a complete Hemi (big thanks to Rick Schmidt). I must try & find time to complete it.

Be good to see how Nick's idea's compare with mine.

I've been bit hurry with other stuff too, and now when I'm building Moebius Hudson & Chrysler, I haven't been making any progress. Actually I'm planning to get the Mercury back on the bench, I have to get it primered and painted soon. Ford will be waiting a bit more, since I need some parts for it. ;)

Slowly but surely.

Welcome aboard, Michael! I'm liking what I see of your 'Stang so far. The body mods are really creative, especially the use of the later Mustang bumper as the front spoiler. I like the way you adapted the later Mustang hood to the earlier body... It looks like it was made for it from the git-go! I'm curious about the pencil outline on the right-side sail panel - is that an idea for a new quarter window? It blends well with the lines of the car and predicts what Ford would do 20 years later on the European Ford Sierra (Merkur XR4Ti here in the states).

I guess this makes it official: The old rule about any song only being 'done' once has gone by the boards. Let's see how YOU interpret ANY song that you like, even if someone's done it for this CBP already. Thinking about it, that's the idea of the build anyway: To see how different people interpret what they hear.

Well for the sail panel I was thinking of opening it like a vent, like u see on the ford, 05 gt's hood, then thought louver'd window, ahhh but we will see, maybe nothing....

Spark Plug Wires are installed to Mercury engine. They are Scale Dreams' Yellow Ignition wire. I installed engine belts too, and took wheels from my parts box. They are resin, casted by Marko Piironen.

P7120194.jpg

P7120196.jpg

P7120197.jpg

P7120200.jpg