Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Cars of Rock 'n' Roll and Country Music

CorvairJim

Iam building a chevy van for the song chevy van. If you look back you can see a picture of what i started with. I been real busy but i wanted to get something done, so here it is i got the body painted.

models4trade005.jpg

In my comment on the truck in the "Under Glass" section, I pointed out how she might just have been visiting her Aunt Mabel and Uncle Horace in Winslow, but she lives in Chicago! Maybe I could take that thought a step further and say how she had to take the shop truck on her visit because her dady took the T-Bird away! B)

I've added an update to this CBP on my initial post, lifting the December 31, 2011 deadline. It reads as follows:

A CHANGE FROM WHEN I FIRST POSTED THIS CBP: THE ORIGINAL DEADLINE OF DECEMBER 31,2011 HAS BEEN LIFTED! THERE ARE SO MANY GREAT COMMUNITY BUILDS GOING ON (I'm involved in several of them myself... ) THAT I'VE COME TO FEEL THAT A DEADLINE IS UNREASONABLE. AS THEY SAID A YEAR AGO IN NASCAR, "BOYS, HAVE AT IT"! TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY THE BUILD!

I've added an update to this CBP on my initial post, lifting the December 31, 2011 deadline. It reads as follows:

A CHANGE FROM WHEN I FIRST POSTED THIS CBP: THE ORIGINAL DEADLINE OF DECEMBER 31,2011 HAS BEEN LIFTED! THERE ARE SO MANY GREAT COMMUNITY BUILDS GOING ON (I'm involved in several of them myself... ) THAT I'VE COME TO FEEL THAT A DEADLINE IS UNREASONABLE. AS THEY SAID A YEAR AGO IN NASCAR, "BOYS, HAVE AT IT"! TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY THE BUILD!

That's great to hear! I must get back to my Merc' soon, but now the building feels very good, when there is no pressure, and no deadline. Just right now looking for reference shots for Nascar, and tomorrow, early in the morning (or in Florida's time, at night), at 7.50 AM leaves the airplane to Rome... But maybe next week I can get back to Mercury.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been able to do much of anything model-wise recently due to the weather. My workroom is in the attic of my house... which isn't air conditioned. The temperature has been in the mid-90's the past few days and we expect triple digits through Saturday. Once it gets back around 80-ish, I should be able to make some progress on the several models I have in the works, but until then I don't want to work in a sauna! (Even though I could stand to sweat off a few pounds!)

I've been building this, and I have time for building models like 20 minutes of a day, so progress isn't very fast. But when I get this one finished, I'll continue Mercury and get it hopefully primered soon.

P7200771.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, i really messed up and haven't posted the pics of my 69 396. i am using AMT's chevelle and the olds 442for the chassis.

not much done at moment but i will replace the olds rear with a chevy and some new exhaustthe "396" will be based around a revell engine and trans combo. Am goin for the eighties feel for the build but the wheels are definatley mid to late '60's. Radir's from the thunder bolt kit.with an old pair of revell nascar slicks

69ss3961-vi.jpg

Now to find some more chassis parts and hoods seems all the hoods i have had for 69 chevelles over the years have grew

legs in the last months ;) .

later all

Michael

69ss3962-vi.jpgNewImage-vi.jpg

Edited by hvymtl

Chopped Top Slammed Down '49 Mercury Blues... It's coming slowly... I started assembling the engine togehter. That intake manifold, which I cut from two to one, fitted nicely, as the cylinder heads. Painted starter and transmission, also those bolts on the cylinder heads got some paint. Coming soon, plug wires and some other stuff. And oh yes, needs to find carburetors for it.

P8041231.jpg

P8041232.jpg

P8041233.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Consider yourself in it, Nick! I'm not familiar with the song, but Sammy is one of the greats of road music, so it shoulkd fit right in with the theme. See if you can post a video of the song so that we can get a handle on the song. We're all familiar with the basic car, of course, but we all want to see YOUR take on what Sammy had in mind.

http://youtu.be/UaPDjDHjIAk

hope that works.

Nick, just incase here's the lyrics with the important stuff in red.

She's American made, you know what I mean?

Red on black, she's a street machine.

Set's ten inches off the ground with a custom plate

That says I-E-A-T Z28

Trans Am X3

Highway Wonderland.

Yeah, '79 will be the end of the road.

If you want horse power overload.

Ooh, if you like kicks, just take her to the floor

And you red-line shift them gears feel the engine roar on my

Trans Am

Come on catch me if you can

In my Trans Am, Highway Wonderland.

Trans Am X3

Highway Wonderland.

And she shines on the street.

And she shines at the heat.

And she shines in my baby's eyes.

And she shines on every other guy's

Trans Am X3

Highway Wonderland.

-solo-

T-R-A-N-S A-M

Trans Am!

-2nd solo-

From Daytona Beach down to Riverside

If there's a race, she's qualified.

My six point six gets a little too heavy

For a big block Ford or a 350 Chevy

Trans Am

Come on, catch me if you can in my

Trans Am, Highway Wonderland

Trans Am X2

Me and my Trans Am

Come on, catch me if you can in my

Trans Am, ooh, Highway Wonderland.

Yeah!

Highway Wonderland!!! Yeah!

Edited by Nick Winter

okay got some pictures of what I am Starting with (yes I'm like Jim with his Corvairs when it comes to my Trans AM's)

in the bag is the Original release MPC 10th anni car ( I got it cheap because it had no box or decals), the AMT I bought for it's decals, for the 10th Anni car, because I'm lazy I'm mixing the 2 (interior, drive train & frame from MPC kit), (Body, Decals and Chrome from AMT kit) and of course the T top roof section from the MPC blackbird parts car I had.

79tamd27_1.jpg

FILE0950.jpg

FILE0951.jpg

Nick

Edited by Nick Winter

Looks like you're all set to go there, Nick! It seems like most of these cars I see have the typical "Smokey & The Bandit" S.E. gold on black color scheme, so I'm looking forward to seeing it in Sammy's red on black! Not that gold on black is necessarily bad, just that I like some variety.