Model Cars Magazine Forum

Retirement Stash???

The recent thread, "Are we Hoarders", got me to thinking. In five and a half years I will retire. When I do I will, like so many others, be on a fixed income. So I was thinking that during the remaining time I am working I will build up a stash of kits, paints, glue and different tools used so that I can continue building models in retirement. Now my likes in models is limited to just about anything prior to 1970. I have no real desire to build any of the newer car models as I think there is a severe lack of styling. Of course that doesn't include the new Camaro's, Chargers or an other one I can't remember for the life of me, Challenger, that's it.

Naturally I don't know how long I will be retired before I am unable to build models but I was thinking of 100 to 150 kits.

Have any of you thought about this or perhaps done the same thing???

The recent thread, "Are we Hoarders", got me to thinking. In five and a half years I will retire. When I do I will, like so many others, be on a fixed income. So I was thinking that during the remaining time I am working I will build up a stash of kits, paints, glue and different tools used so that I can continue building models in retirement. Now my likes in models is limited to just about anything prior to 1970. I have no real desire to build any of the newer car models as I think there is a severe lack of styling. Of course that doesn't include the new Camaro's, Chargers or an other one I can't remember for the life of me, Challenger, that's it.

Naturally I don't know how long I will be retired before I am unable to build models but I was thinking of 100 to 150 kits.

Have any of you thought about this or perhaps done the same thing???

I have told the wife that's my plans exactly. Only problem is I still have quite a ways to retirement, if and only if my body holds out long enough to make it there... I currently have a little over 400 kits and have plans for all of them or at least most. ;) Am I a hoarder? Probably but, I am also planning for my future when I cannot work any more or am able to retire...

I'm on a fixed income due to a bone disease, so fortunately I had a modest stash of kits before I had to go on disability (including a few aircraft, maybe 30 kits total.) The Moebius Hudson and Chrysler C-300 will be must haves, though. Paints are my biggest problem, as the price of them now is nuts. I don't own an airbrush, so I have to rely on sprays. Tamiya is my brand choice, and since I build mostly '50s, early '60s models, two toning is a wallet buster for me. I've been getting into paper modeling lately; many are free downloads, and if purchased, fairly inexpensive. I can print the download ones out, and the printed editions can be scanned for personal use so I can build a "beta" version before I cut up the original. The only supply cost is craft glue, cardstock, color ink cartridges, and #11 blades. I still build plastic, but I've modified my modeling hobby a bit to fit my budget. I was recently fortunate to get a small inheritance from a family estate, so it's allowed me to treat myself to a few things. I plan to stock up on some paints, especially in light of their ever climbing prices. That's my take on it.

Why is it that when you are on a "fixed" income you are "broke"? Anyway, I haven't had much to spend on models lately but because of my stash I have been able to either use stuff out of my stock or trade for what I needed. For my Sam Hollingswoth Nomad project I already had the paint, wheels tires and other items needed and traded here on the board for the 57 belair and 56 Nomad kits I needed to complete the build, costing me nothing out of pocket. Had I not had the stash I have this project would cost me about $150.

I'm on a fixed income due to a bone disease, so fortunately I had a modest stash of kits before I had to go on disability (including a few aircraft, maybe 30 kits total.) The Moebius Hudson and Chrysler C-300 will be must haves, though. Paints are my biggest problem, as the price of them now is nuts. I don't own an airbrush, so I have to rely on sprays. Tamiya is my brand choice, and since I build mostly '50s, early '60s models, two toning is a wallet buster for me. I've been getting into paper modeling lately; many are free downloads, and if purchased, fairly inexpensive. I can print the download ones out, and the printed editions can be scanned for personal use so I can build a "beta" version before I cut up the original. The only supply cost is craft glue, cardstock, color ink cartridges, and #11 blades. I still build plastic, but I've modified my modeling hobby a bit to fit my budget. I was recently fortunate to get a small inheritance from a family estate, so it's allowed me to treat myself to a few things. I plan to stock up on some paints, especially in light of their ever climbing prices. That's my take on it.

Jim,

If you like to use spray canned paint, buy them at Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon and the price isn't too bad.

'Darin Bastedo'

Why is it that when you are on a "fixed" income you are "broke"? Anyway, I haven't had much to spend on models lately but because of my stash I have been able to either use stuff out of my stock or trade for what I needed. For my Sam Hollingswoth Nomad project I already had the paint, wheels tires and other items needed and traded here on the board for the 57 belair and 56 Nomad kits I needed to complete the build, costing me nothing out of pocket. Had I not had the stash I have this project would cost me about $150.

By the way, thanks for the Hobby Lobby tip. I'm homebound for the most part, but do get out once in a while. I guess I don't get out enough; I had no idea that one had opened a few miles away until I just did a Google search for the nearest store. Sheesh. Jane Seymore could walk by my window, and I'd likely be oblivious.

I had to quite working early cause of diabetis.and its effects on me right now.I build and have a stash from many years of collecting kits and paint and glue.resin,plastic.it doesn't always turn out the way we want to.life can be very hard depending on what happens to you.I'm happy for my stash and sweettie is ok with what ever we do......I'm lucky there.but glues dries out and paint does the same thing and decals get old....in some cases...way to old.so be aware of these troubles.things change in life and it is hard to predicted what will happen to you as a person.so be aware.Thanks,Chris

Yes I stocked up for years before retirement, I just didn't realize that was the reason.

While I've been retired for nearly five years and I'm now building faster then I did before there are still new kits coming out that I must have, so my buying rate still seems to be growing faster then my building rate. As for stocking up on paints etc, remember that the faster you build the faster you'll go through all the disposables. Buy the expensive stuff before you retire like the tools, airbrush, compressor, paint booth etc those are the things that will last well into your retirement.

robw

I agree that you should plan for retirement. It does not do much good to stockpile disposables such as paint and glue though; too many things can go wrong with them over the years. Not going to do you much good to open a bottle or tube of glue just to find you have a gummy mess or it is completely dried out. The same goes for paint. Tools and such are another matter. Accumulate what you think you will want/need while you can afford it.

At the same time, keep your eyes open for things you can use that don't cost much if anything. The next time you go to the dentist ask if he or she has any used dental picks. The last time I asked my dentist I walked out with about fifty of them. There are many thing like that available if you just keep your eyes open.

Stock up? Maybe kits... and some spray paint. Any other supplies I would chalk it up to miscellaneous or entertainment expense, something you would incur weather you build models, or bird feeders. If model building is your #1 vice, well... it's probably cheaper than taking a 24 pack of beer home every night.

Let's see....I'm 35.

Retirement- not very likely given my situation. And if I end up doing law school, even less so.

With that said.

I think it's a good idea to get the more expensive, durable tools that you'll use for a long time. Pick up some of the rarer, more expensive kits now, too, and don't forget to check flea markets, thrifts stores, Craigslist and the various auction sites. Good buys turn up if you know how to shop.

Don't put such strict limits on yourself that retirement means that's it for spending. If something comes out that you want, get it, even if you have to set aside a little over a few weeks. Remember, a hobby is supposed to be a source of enjoyment, not frustration from financial restrictions, whether real or imagined. Leave enough flex to do what you need to do and have fun with it.

Many retirees also do take a part-time job or use their hobbies, such as baking or woodworking, to supplement their social security or pensions for a little pocket money. That eight-hour a week job at 7-Eleven or Wal-Mart might not be particularly dignified of glamorous, but if it'll give you a little extra money to enjoy life or cover little unexpected odds and ends. See if your local hobby shop wants a little help. Many of them will take a day or two of work in exchange for merchandise. If not, you can buy at a discount usually.

Consumables are that- consumables. Look for good deals and try to buy in quantity. Those both save you money. Consumables are a part of life, work them into the budget the best you can and get them as you're able to.

As to other ideas to stretch your dollar- look into getting any pension or 401 (k) you have converted to an annuity. Many times, you can get an annuity that will give you more money and allow that money (especially a 401 (k)) to last much longer. Talk to you bank or insurance broker about it.

Charlie Larkin

When you retire, whether you have a pension(which helps) your income before taxes is approx. a little less than 2/3 or what you made. Pension

helps but not everyone has one. If no pension the your income is about 1/2 of what it was. Bills to pay,car repairs etc. Good thing my wife

works(only part time now). Its still tough. They may be golden years but if you have any debt or payments, there is nothing golden about it.

Things get tight.

I have always had a large stash of models, and I now have a storage building jammed to the door plus probably another hundred here in the house. I have plans to build all of them in my later years, but I also know that models once saved my family financially years ago. This is my retirement stash, but it's also an investment. It pays to start young when money is more available. One also never knows when tragedy will strike. Plan ahead.

I have been retired slightly more than a year. I have a sizable stash, 300+ and have no plans to purchase others unless they are must haves and that list is very short at this time.

My wife and I give ourselves a modest allowance each week, so my hobby budget has no effect on the household budget. And being empty nesters, almost (I have a Downs Syndrome 24 year old son, who is employed part-time and receives SSI and SSD). I have also discovered that though retired I personally have more "disposable income" due to the fact that I am not buying that one or two extra coffees every day, nor do I make those unplanned stops on the way home from work just to see what's new.

I attend NNL East every year and this year I have the largest budget I have ever had. Despite that, my shopping/want list is quite small. Paints from Black Gold (HOK), parts and a couple bodies from Norm (RMoM) and two or three kits.

That said, retirement can be a great time in your life. My wife and I planned well, made some great investments and are sure we'll do just as well when she retires. according to her she is not ready to retire.

That's my situation and I'm content with it...and another retirement benefit, you have more time to build.