Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Dodge Hemi Dart

mrmike

My new project is the Revell '68 Hemi Dart with a new storyline featuring McNally, Boston PI. The story is called "Childhood Friends" and is only to show what is driving this WIP.

The Build

I am using Revell's '68 Hemi Dart. This will represent a street driven Dart with a stock looking body.

Dart01.jpg

My paint is Model Master Hemi Orange Lacquer.

Dart02.jpg

I am considering using a 6-Pack hood scoop, but I might just stick with the Hemi scoop.

Dart03.jpg

The Story

1975-

The two teenagers found the old Dart at a used car lot. They both saw the potential in the old car, what it could be and what it would look like. One of them didn't have the money to buy the car, but the other did and they both would work on the car together. The old Dart would have a big block engine, mag wheels, and a 4-speed transmission. And a bright paint job! The car was going to be a fast and colorful car and quite the chick magnet. Johnny Hallis and his childhood friend, McNally would share everything involving this car. It was their dream...

2011-

Portable lighting lit the crime scene brightly and was accented by the blue flash from the surrounding squad cars. Det. Sgt. Adam Troy was writing down notes when a patrol officer called his name from the tapeline. He looks up to see McNally standing at the line and waves him through. "Do you know this person? He had your card in his pocket." McNally kneels down to look at the victim's face, "Yes, it's Johnny Hallis. I grew up with him."

McNally will return...

Edited by mrmike

Thanks guys! I am still working out the kinks in the story, but it should be entertaining coming from an amateur writer like me. Like my other builds with a storyline, the story is kept short so the focus is more on the build itself.

Keep watching Chris!

The Story 1975-

The boys get the car home to Johnny's house and instead of just tearing it apart, they put a plan of attack together. They will inspect the car and decide on a "shopping list" of what they need. They will swap, deal, work, and if necessary...buy the parts for the car. McNally was the first to score a deal...a old set of Cragar SS mags without the center caps for $50. Johnny wasn't too happy about it at first since he really wanted to find a motor and trans to get the car rolling, but he did realize that a set of Cragar's for $50 was a bargin. The mags will need a good cleaning and polishing to look good again.

The Build

I started off by removing the GTS scripts from the front fenders.

Dart04.jpg

I got the basic engine glued together and prepped for paint.

Dart05.jpg

As you can see here, I am using a stock dual carb manifold and dual 4-barrel carbs from my parts box instead of trying to fix the kit's rat roaster manifold.

Dart06.jpg

McNally will return...

The Story-2011

McNally and Sgt. Troy drive over to Johnny's house to give Teresa the bad news about her husband. McNally hasn't seen Teresa in a long time and it will be a very unhappy reunion. After performing their sad duty, Adam returns to headquarters and McNally remains with Teresa to comfort her and quietly ask a few questions about Johnny, who apparently has not had a job for almost a year and may have been working under the table to help support his family. McNally walks around outside while Teresa gets ready to go and pickup the kids from school and wanders over to the 2-car garage and looks inside to see a car covered with a tarp. He pulls off the tarp to see the Dart that he and Johnny had worked on together so many years ago.

The Build

I wanted this Dart to have a back seat, but I didn't want spend the time trying to create a new floor for the GTS interior so my Dremel happily cut it out of the GTS interior pan.

Dart07.jpg

With a little bit of fitting and sanding, the back seat will fit like a glove.

Dart08.jpg

Dart09.jpg

McNally will return...

I can't wait for the finished story ( ok the model also). Back when I joined I read one of your story's and had to search the rest out. The combination of the model build and great story makes following the progress very fun. Keep up the great work.

Thank you guys for the positive response on the story line! I hope to keep it interesting and that you all enjoy it.

I didn't use the kit manifold for another reason...the Hemi has to be streetable and the more common version would be the factory dual quad manifold versus the more race inspired "rat roaster" manifold.

The Story 1975-

Johnny's Uncle Earl knew that the boys were looking for parts for the old Dart and told them about a '70 Road Runner that came into the salvage yard where he worked. The Road Runner was demolished in a warehouse collapse and the body was totally destroyed, but the mechanicals were still there and if the boys wanted it, they had to get it out of the yard before it went into the crusher. The boys went and found that the car was Hemi Road Runner and made a deal for the wreck. Now they had to find a way to get the car home to Johnny's house.

The Build

Paint was flying in the booth yesterday! This batch of Model Master Hemi Orange Lacquer has a lot of flake in it. Once it is clearcoated, it should sparkle in the sunlight!

Dart10.jpg

Dart11.jpg

The engine got it's own coat of paint. Chrysler Street Hemi Orange Engine Enamel.

Dart12.jpg

McNally will return...

This one is looking good so far! I like the color on it and paintjob looks good. Engine is nice also. I like that interior work too. Your builds are always very nice and this Dart is one of my favorite Mopar cars... Of course Mopar can't beat Chevrolet and GM. B) Great build!

Thanks guys! Niko, it's Mopar or no car! I'd rather push a Dodge than drive a Chevy! :D

The Story 2011-

McNally drops Teresa and her children off at her parent's house and assists in telling them the bad news about Johnny. As he prepares to leave, Teresa pulls him aside and tells him that she wants to hire him to find Johnny's killer. He says yes, but he'll do it pro bono since he has a vested interest in finding the person responsible for his friend's death. His first stop will be Police Headquarters to get the latest information from Det. Sgt. Adam Troy. Then, he'll do what he does best, gather all the information he can and then start annoying someone until they try to take a run at him. That is McNally's Detective's Rule #1.

The Build

I started working on the chassis by filling the spring mounting holes with round styrene stock and removing the mounting stubs for the exhaust system.

Dart13.jpg

Since the body will be stock, I'll need to shorten the rear axle to keep the tire inside the fenders. I will not be using the slicks, but a set of tires from my parts box that are slightly wider than the fronts.

Dart14.jpg

Just out of the purple pond and ready for paint.

Dart15.jpg

McNally will return...

The Story 1975-

Uncle Earl stops by garage to see the progress on the Dart and he also brings a gift...seats and side panels from a '68 Dart GTS! But, when he walks into the garage, all he sees is McNally working on the Dart...alone! "Where's John?" "He had a date, some girl he met the other day." Earl takes McNally over to his old truck and shows him the interior that he salvaged from a wreck that was bound for the crusher. "My gift to you guys!" "Thanks Earl!"

The Build

I was looking at the exhaust for the Hemi Dart and I noticed that the exhaust is turned sideways. All of the short exhaust I have seen turns down, not to the side. I drilled a hole 90 degrees for the mount molded on the exhaust.

Dart16.jpg

I inserted a short piece of styrene round stock into the holes. Now the exhaust will point down when it is mounted to the chassis.

Dart17.jpg

While that was drying, I went and painted the chassis and the interior floor with overspray.

Dart18.jpg

McNally will return...

Edited by mrmike

Mike there are no mounting holes in the chassis for that exhaust. You will have to drill them out.

Brandon, the kit instructions show no indication of having to do any drilling for the exhaust. So, if one was to go by the instructions, you would just glue the mounting pins to the chassis. My plan is to drill two holes into the chassis and glue the pins into the holes. That will happen when the suspension, engine, and transmission are in the chassis and then I can set the exhaust where I need it to be.