Model Cars Magazine Forum

911 GT3 Cup

Brendan

Just started working on the Fujimi 911 GT3. I'm not going to be doing the decaled car that is on the box. I'm going to be doing a car that comes from the factory. Which is overall white with some black highlights. Looks like it's going to be a fairly straight forward kit. Not a lot of clean up needing to be done so it should go fast.

911GT3Cup001.jpg

911GT3Cup002.jpg

911GT3Cup005.jpg

Here's a picture of several small parts that I've finished.

003.jpg

004.jpg

Chrome parts were stripped and painted with Alclad.

009.jpg

Edited by Brendan

The kit manufacturer is Fujimi. These kits are sold out as far as I know. But someone mentioned on another thread that they were producing just the plain white version of the kit. Hopefully someone will make some aftermarket decals.

Got a little more work done. Had some issues with trying to paint the body. Been having a lot of fisheyes happening. Partly because of the weather which is really bad right now. So the body is being stripped now and waiting for primer and paint.

Exhaust was painted with different shades of Alclad.

005.jpg

006.jpg

The chassis was painted with Duplicolor White and Tamiya's Semi-gloss white. Engine was painted with Tamiya's TS-17 with a dull coat.

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

Wingmounts were stripped of the chrome and painted with Alclad Aluminum. Fire bottle was painted with TS-8. Seat was painted with XF-69 and then dull coated. The back of it was painted with TS-29.

008.jpg

007.jpg

Hi Brendan,

I hope you are doing well. Glad to see you working on this car. I started working on mine last week, but I am putting the decals on! I know it is going to be a lot of work. I was wondering if you know of any after market companies that are doing the window masks for this one. I found a company that does the window masks for the Tamiya

GT3. In fact M&S has it. Do you know if it'll fit the Fujimi glass? Seeing yours in the works gives me a lot of inspiration.

Hossain

Hi Brendan,

I hope you are doing well. Glad to see you working on this car. I started working on mine last week, but I am putting the decals on! I know it is going to be a lot of work. I was wondering if you know of any after market companies that are doing the window masks for this one. I found a company that does the window masks for the Tamiya

GT3. In fact M&S has it. Do you know if it'll fit the Fujimi glass? Seeing yours in the works gives me a lot of inspiration.

Hossain

Hi Hossain,

I don't know of any companies that are making window mask for it. But it was pretty easy to mask the windows out. There's a pretty big step between where the window is supposed to be painted black and where it is supposed to be clear. It's fairly easy to cut the tape to make it work. Also if you need the extra set of decals, I'm not using the set for the B car. Just let me know and I can get it out to you. I'm hoping at some point somebody does some after market decals. Maybe markings of the Racers' Group Cars (Kevin Buckler's team).

Here's a picture of my already painted windows. Extremely tight window fit to the body! Watch out for paint buildup.

001-3.jpg

Got the chassis completed. Fairly easy to put together. Although some issues trying to get the wheels on to the brake assembly. Fujimi did a really tight tolerancing on the kit so paint buildup is a problem. Had to redrill out several of the mounting holes to get get stuff to fit better. Also the front wheel assembly is very fragile. Found out the hard way. Broke the spindle while mounting the rims to the chassis.

Chassis painted and all components on the chassis.

001.jpg

001-2.jpg

005-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

Area to watch out for...when mounting the tires. Do not use too much pressure as you can break the mounting points off. This is after I fixed the problem. The break happened at the top of the spindle.

002-2.jpg

Hello again Brendan,

Thanks for the input on the masking and fit. Yours came out great. You have certainly made a lot of progress on yours. Boy, those decals look really intimidating and you know me, because it takes a lot to intimidate me when it comes to decaling. I also have to paint the car multiple colors to start with!! Oh well. I hope to put the decals on without any problems. Otherwise, I may take your offer on your unused set! Thanks again and keep those progress reports coming. I really need the inspiration.

Hossain

Got some more work done. Still having issues with painting the body. There's something on the plastic that is not liking the paint. Hopefully I'll have better luck this weekend when I shoot.

Finished the roll cage. Had to drill the mounting holes in the chassis a little bigger to accommodate the roll cage. Extremely tight fit.

001-4.jpg

Seatbelts placed on the seat. Dashboard completed. Ended up breaking the pedals off the dashboard so I made my own.

002-4.jpg

003-2.jpg

Interior painted. Detailed with black and NATO black.

004-2.jpg

Watch out for a slight fit issue between the roll cage and the dashboard. Had to remove the dashboard and install the roll cage first and then the dashboard...contrary to what the instructions say.

005-2.jpg

006-1.jpg

Finally got the body painted after 6 "screw-ups"...found out what was happening. About 3 and a half years ago, Tamiya had a bad batch of paint and I was lucky enough to have a can of it. Paint had a little too much solvent and was actually eating through the primer. Luckily I had a can of Model Masters Classic White Lacquer. I decanted and airbrushed it on. Still need to paint the black trim on the body. But I'm happy I just got the body painted.

001-5.jpg

002-5.jpg

Wing painted Tamiya's TS-29. I added photo etch rivets to the end plates.

003-3.jpg

Looking great Brendan cool.gif

are those aftermarket seatbelts or are they included in kit...real nice?

now that explains the "fish-eye" problem i've had with a few cans of Tamiya spray paints,

MM Classic White is my choice for a white paint, dang near bulletproof and covers extremely well

thanx

may have to get one of these kits

Hey Curt,

No, the seatbelts did not come with the kit. The belt itself is actually cloth tape painted with Tamiya's Acrylics. The hardware was from leftover parts. This is a kit that you would definitely like.

• 1 month later...

Sorry I haven't been posting much. Been a very busy past couple of weeks. Race team I belong to did their first 24 hour event in Nevada. Took 17th out of 87. Then had some family issues which kept me gone for a little longer than I had expected. I apologize for not responding to those who emailed me. I will get to it as soon as I can.

Here's what I had done before I left. Got the black onto the body. Was a little difficult for the front since there was no line to follow. Had to eyeball it.

002-6.jpg

003-4.jpg

004-3.jpg

Wing uprights are attached to the engine cover.

005-3.jpg

Hoping to get this finished in the next couple of days. Still need to do some small detail parts on the body; mainly the grills. Hopefully will be in the under glass section soon if I don't have anything else unexpected happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got over this flu that I had for about two weeks. I was able to finish up the detailing of the car. Next time you see this car, it will be in the Under glass Section. Thanks for being very patient with me. This is probably one of my longer builds.

001-7.jpg

003-5.jpg

004-4.jpg

Is it worth the $60 price tag? The body lines look awesome. I have been wanting one of these just need some different decals options. Looks good so far. I will look for it in the Under Glass section.

You shouldn't have to pay $60 for this kit. I got mine for a little over $40. It is an extremely nice kit. Definitely a must have for Porsche lovers. Supposedly Studio 27 is doing decals for this kit. So it will be interesting to see what they have for the selection.