Model Cars Magazine Forum

History Being Made

Been through part of a Tropical storm, in 2005 or so when it actually reached Arkansas. Have had tornado's pass close to where I live and set through about a 10 second quake. Never actually been though any major stuff. I have family in Vilonia, which I am sure some of you have seen it on the news. We have another storm heading our way later today and tomorrow, so you guys in Texas you prob will see the front of this thing. I don't know how bad it will be. The largest hail I've seen was gold ball size and it got my wife's car.

Been through part of a Tropical storm, in 2005 or so when it actually reached Arkansas. Have had tornado's pass close to where I live and set through about a 10 second quake.

Josh, you sure you aren't thinking of Hurricane Ivan in 2004? If I remember correctly, it came through there before it came this way, and even here in West Virginia we had over 10 inches of rain in less than about 12 hours as it roared through, and cause major flash flooding. In the 35 years I've been alive and living here, it was the worst flooding I had ever seen in this area. There are even still a few scars left from that day that can still be seen today!

As for quakes, I apparently slept through tremors that were felt here from a quake in Toronto (I think) last year. I woke up later that day to reports on the news buildings in nearby dowtown Wheeling, WV were evacuated because of the tremor! There have even been other small earthquake right here in WV from what I found out from the news that day. Also, while I was driving truck, there was on I heard about hitting the Big Bear Lake region of California when I was on the I-5 in LA. Thankfully it wasn't a big one, but I still was in a hurry to get out of California after hearing that!

SMITHVILLE, MS TORNADO RATED AS EF-5 "Damage surveys continue across the south today as engineers and meteorologists labor to assess the magnitude of the destruction left in the wake of Wednesday's tornadoes. So far, at least one of those tornadoes has been assigned the highest ranking on the Enhanced Fujita scale."

this picture was of the tornado in Quantico, which is the same one that passed over my house

quantico-tornado.jpg

now when i say passed over, i mean it really passed over and i was looking at that pretty much way closer than i should have been before i realized that it was exactly what i thought it was. that dark spinning "cloud" was directly over my house and the next door neighbors and not that far up. by the time i got the warning, it had already passed.

with that spinning dark cloud formation also came some freaky lightning too, different than any lightning i've ever seen before.

That is a scary sight, I second what I said in the last post I made to you. That Tornado is huge.

When I was a little kid our family lived on the top floor of a rickety old wooden 3-flat in Chicago. Every time we got a tornado warning, my parents would make us all run down to the basement... as a result I developed a real fear of bad weather. Still have it to this day. I've never been hit by a tornado, but every time the warnings come I worry... it was sort of drilled into me.

The sheriff down here has a reverse 911 system hooked up. When severe weather is approaching, you get a call on your home or cell, or whatever phone you want connected, to advise you of severe weather. Horns and/or sirens wouldn't work around here because it's pretty rural.