Model Cars Magazine Forum

High-end Euro-cars

I have an idea for a diorama and I need some input from the guys that build foreign, and specifically, European, cars.

I'm looking for a model of a 1990s (or so) middle-upper-end European sedan.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Tamiya Mercedes S-class, which would be okay, but I'd like to see if their are some other options.

I remember seeing mumbling about a BMW 5-series of that vintage (a little closer to what I had in mind.) Or, something like a Jaguar XJ, M-B E-Class, etc. As long as it was sold in the U.S.

Thanks in advance for any leads/ideas.

Charlie Larkin

One that comes to mind is the Jaguar XJ-12 that was a Revell snap kit marketed as the "Saint" car (I think it's 80's vintage, but has Euro headlights and would work for a '90s theme.) I think Hasegawa makes one, too. Although it isn't upper end, Fujimi had a curbside Audi 90 that I have in the stash to build for a friend. Unfortunately, neither are "luxo-barge" sedans like you're looking for.

I'm getting some ideas, which helps.

As I've been thinking about this today, it occurred to me that someone did a 1980s Volvo 7-series 4-door. I remember it being in a Testors box, but I don't quite recall who made it (Fujimi, perhaps?)

If anyone has further input, I'd appreciate it.

And I appreciate the input received just far.

Charlie Larkin

As I've been thinking about this today, it occurred to me that someone did a 1980s Volvo 7-series 4-door. I remember it being in a Testors box, but I don't quite recall who made it (Fujimi, perhaps?)

If anyone has further input, I'd appreciate it.

And I appreciate the input received just far.

Charlie Larkin

There have been a couple Volvos, though I consider them new! (I want a 145 wagon ... one of 2 cars I've had that I can't model)

Volvo760-1.jpg

Volvo850_l.jpg

I actually have that 850 wagon- nice kit. And it's part of the plan I have for this dio.

That 760 Mike and Rodney showed are the same kit- Testors did a lot with Italeri; most of the Italeri Classic cars got issued at Testors kits. In fact, I think I own only Testors issues; no Italeris.

The 760 would be okay for what I wanted; I'd just have to change my concept slightly. No biggie.

I found a few things on eBay and I've watched them. If some employment comes my way soon (and it finally might be,) I'll see what's available when the time to actually buy is here.

Charlie