Model Cars Magazine Forum

shorty VW Bus craziness

empinut

this AMT gluebomb needed a new roof section from a Hasegawa "parted out" kit. Even though it is a curbside I somehow motivated myself into making a crazy turbo engine for it along with a detailed suspension using parts from the Revell Calif. Roller VW Bus kit. Working on the wheels right now. Door lines had to be rescribed. VW engine was "re-engineered" to make all the psuedo Turbo parts fit.

512019-vi.jpg

512017-vi.jpg

512016-vi.jpg

512015-vi.jpg

512014-vi.jpg

I always wanted to make the amt all window bus into a deals wheels type street machine and this is what ended up coming out the other end so far. Chassis uses a narrowed Gunze Beetle engine/suspension plate.

512012-vi.jpg

512010-vi.jpg

512009-vi.jpg

512008-vi.jpg

512007-vi.jpg

Bill

Absolutely cute and beautiful work on the cutting and shortening. It's going to look perfect painted. Great job, keep it going. Build like this remind me of Roger Yu's work, a great visionary and designer in the hobby.

Thanks for all of the nice comments!

Was not thinking yellow for the all-window bus in order to make it less of a novelty, but may look into that now.

The extractor exhaust started with pieces from an early MPC dune buggy gluebomb built up that were cut up and reconfigured to fit a collecter from an early amt indy car.

I do have some candy tangerine for the crew cab...good call. Wish I could show these and others I have, but it never seems to work out. Thanks for the encouragement.

Thanks for noticing the body work on the crew cab, mating the roof section to the beltline. These kits from AMT already came shortened in wheelbase. I never liked the original chrome show car ladder bar based suspension.

Bill

Mounted the wheels and tires.....aluminum rim rings, rep & min shelby resin inserts, rear tires from a tamiya 1/20 scale Honda 60's racer.

53006-vi.jpg

53009-vi.jpg

53010-vi.jpg

Final tuning on the engine....

53001-vi.jpg

Thanks for all the encouragement!... It's helping me stay motivated!

Bill

Guest Johnny

Sweet! Always loved the Old VW Bus and loved the shorty busses!

Built my first one in 69' gave it to my future brother-in-law who's little brothers used it as a ball for their orange "fat bat" while he was at basic.

Your post inspired me to pull a project our of the back of the closet last night that I started around 20 years ago! Not near as nice as yours though!

Just set ot together to get a shot of what it looks like.

HPIM0789.jpg

HPIM0786.jpg

Can't wairt to see yours finished!:)

• 1 month later...

OK, here is an update on the all window bus:

611028-vi.jpg

611030-vi.jpg

Lots of body smoothing, tamiya primer, testors light yellow lacquer, testors pearl clear. Just made the interior door panels, painted brown. Attached 3 foot pedals. Bumpers smoothed and painted white.

Here is a tease for the crew cab, I will start a new thread in the Finished ?Pau? section showing more pics. EMPI Aloha plate from a glue bomb Tamiya 1/18 scale Empi Imp fits just right.

611004-vi.jpg

thanks for your comments. Bill