Model Cars Magazine Forum

Highly Detailed GENERAL LEE.... finally done...!1yr and 6 days

mopar01lee

I use his decals also on some of my projects, I do highly recommend his decals.

Davin, your doing a good job so far on your build here man. Keep up the good work. :D

Yeah... I've got a Nova that's SCREAMING for some "Death Proof"... :D

/thread hyjack...

I like the progress so far. You have done a lot of nice work and I am getting tips as you go. I would like to offer a tip at this point you are at. For some reason, I am not sure why, but the photo etched headlight doors appear to need a backing on them. You can not see through the headlight doors on the 1:1. Once again, I am not sure why they did that, but at least you are not too far along to correct it. I am looking forward to watching your progress. Keep up the good work.

Mike

Yeah ive been thinking about the headlight covers... And I would like to make a set up to were they flip up and are functional.... I may look in to doing that ive had this idea for a wile .... Well see if I can pull it off ..... Lol

Ok i took a big leep with this , but it turns out it works awsome....

i made the head light covers functional.... yeeeee hawwwww..lol

heres some pics....

IMAG0152.jpg

IMAG0154.jpg

IMAG0155.jpg

IMAG0156.jpg

IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0157.jpg

ok there it is. It still needs a few tweeks here and there but it will work just fine ...

Later Days ...Davin

Very slick way to correct the cover pieces. Plus it is close to 1:1. If it helps, there was 1 square bar that operated both headlight doors from a motor in the middle. So you could make them open together & be accurate! Nice job.

Mike

Very slick way to correct the cover pieces. Plus it is close to 1:1. If it helps, there was 1 square bar that operated both headlight doors from a motor in the middle. So you could make them open together & be accurate! Nice job.

Mike

Mike, your talking about the 1970 Charger head light doors. The 1968 - 1969 ran on vac power and each head light had it's own vac powered pod's.

Quick update... got the interior flocked today ... heres some pics..

IMAG0169.jpg

IMAG0170.jpg

IMAG0171.jpg

IMAG0173.jpg

im still working on the head lights.. there coming right along an found some LEDS . i just have to modify the covers to acomidate the lights..

Later Days...Davin

Wow! Great build Davin. Thank you for taking time to post these pics and creating the thread in the first place. This is going to be one legendary car when you're done. :lol:

-Earl

Quick update... got the interior flocked today ... heres some pics..

IMAG0173.jpg

im still working on the head lights.. there coming right along an found some LEDS . i just have to modify the covers to acomidate the lights..

Later Days...Davin

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for no update ..

ive had a wedding to go to 6 1/2 hrs away from home ...

:P i have had a ton of paint problems the body came out good , but the doors,hood,trunk,front and rear peices..

got messed up so i stripped them an put a mix in the airbrush . well it got messed up .. :lol:

:D So im stripping everything and i have some custom mixed ppg race hemi orange and clear coming monday...

but i will have a small update tonight or tomarrow.... :D im also waiting on some aluminum mopar performance valve covers ( sould be here this comin week ).. so i can start the engine..

Decals finaly came in after a month .. but no good paint to put them on..

later days ....Davin

Edited by mopar01lee

Small update the body is in the bath an almost clean of paint an primer..

Got some PE work done . window cranks and seat belts....

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0214.jpg

fuel line ran down the chassie.....

IMAG0216.jpg

detailed the vectors a lill bit more..

IMAG0219.jpg

roll cage modded and painted , console painted , an dash....

IMAG0218.jpg

IMAG0217.jpg

dash is not done yet got a lill more detailin to do ..

thanks for looking an the comments..

Later days .. Davin

Edited by mopar01lee

I got tierd of reading all the back and forth about the door issue, so I jumped to the end. Just wanted to add my 2 cents. about 15 years or so ago, I ran across one of the studio cars (#11 i think, or 1#2 maybe) I was 15 at the time, so I was all over it. The owner came up to me and asked if I wanted to sit in it...well duh. But He said I had to "Duke It" and go in the window. I said "because its welded?" He replyed " No, but after so many stunt jumps the doors wont clear the front fenders. Nice guy, great car. But I have to agree with alot of people that as a movie replica, I dont think the doors should open...But killer model non the less, great build. I just got my own mpc tin set. Cant wait to get it open.

Thanks for the comments ... As for this build ( no offense here ) but if you kept reading all that babble, you would kw that im not building a replica. Im doing a detailed general with as many details as I can put in it ...not movie or show details , but details you would find on any car ....but alot have mistaken this build for an accurate an a replica ...and its not , its the way I wanna build it ...to push my skills to the limit .....lol

Thanks again for the comments ....

Later days .... Davin

• 2 weeks later...

not much of an update.. still waiting on parts.

I did get the paint today an im perty pi--ed off , i talked to the paint dude an told him i wanted some race hemi orange .. or a color close to the general lee. his responce yeah ok i can do that i kw a color that word work just fine .. bull poop..

what i got is 4oz of EV2 or 69-72 HEMI ORANGE effect.. in other words a metalic hemi orange , not race hemi orange witch is a solid color ..

well heres the paint .. im going to go ahead an paint it this color cuz i do like it . it just not what i ordered..lol

IMAG0240.jpg

IMAG0239.jpg

i also got the head liner painted ...

Later Days ..Davin

not much of an update.. still waiting on parts.

I did get the paint today an im perty pi--ed off , i talked to the paint dude an told him i wanted some race hemi orange .. or a color close to the general lee. his responce yeah ok i can do that i kw a color that word work just fine .. bull poop..

what i got is 4oz of EV2 or 69-72 HEMI ORANGE effect.. in other words a metalic hemi orange , not race hemi orange witch is a solid color ..

well heres the paint .. im going to go ahead an paint it this color cuz i do like it . it just not what i ordered..lol

IMAG0240.jpg

IMAG0239.jpg

i also got the head liner painted ...

Later Days ..Davin

nice "baby blue" fox mustang! B)

tell us alittle more about it if you please???

Small update ..

got the body stipped an painted again..

just wet sanded it tonight .gonna put 2 more coats on then decals an clear..lol

IMAG0242.jpg

IMAG0255.jpg

IMAG0252.jpg

IMAG0260.jpg

IMAG0258.jpg

Also got the headliner painted but no pics yet ..

hope you enjoy ..its been a pain with the paint on this thing , but im sure i got it handeld..lol

Later Days..Davin

Edited by mopar01lee