Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Are we done yet ?

Ask and you shall recieve...........

KM_Firehawk_cropped.jpg

KM_Firehawk_Rear.jpg

This is from Drop Top Customs in High Springs FL.

As far as the "new car" vs "old car" thing.....Yes, new cars are more efficient, more powerful, more comfortable, and much safer, but they ain't got no "soul"...... B)

Don't really like T/A's But this could change my mind-That's Sharp!!! I heard Lingenfelter makes the kits

Well, Jantrix, I have to slightly disagree with you on the longevity. my fathers 1966 Plymouth BelvedereII Hemi has over 226,000 miles and he does all the maintenance on it himself (he is an ASE certified mechanic and I will agree that HEMIs are maintenance PIGS!). My 1991 Mustang GT has 272,000+ miles on it, and still has the UNMOLESTED original drivetrain in it. If you take good care of the vehicle, no matter the generation of construction, it will last. Do the newer cars last longer....yes. Due in part to better metallurgy, better oils and fluids, better design and construction methods. But they will suffer at the hands of lax maintenance. Some older vehicles will last LONGER under ill maintenance than newer ones will BECAUSE of slipshod build tolerances.

As to soul; that is purely a personal call. Soul is a reaction to emotional stimulus by visual/aural means. The sound of a 5.0L Mustang......that has soul. The grunt of the Firebird Trans-Ams and Camaros with the LS1s.......that is soul. The sexy lines of even the SN95 Mustangs and the 4th Gen F-Bodies evokes 'soul' to those of us who put our time in WITH these cars. Does my 65 Dodge Coronet500 (both my vert and my hardtop) have soul? They do now, but when new they were just another cookie-cutter car from Dodge. Soul is what YOU interpret it to be. To me, my 1979-93 Mustangs have soul (they looked good and went VERY well for their time...well, the turbo4s and the 5.0Ls did). That is my counterpoint to your point. Soul is strictly individual (by and large). Some cars ingrain themselves into culture and bare soul in that manner, others do it by being remembered for doing something well, and others gain a soul just by being there time and time again and NEVER failing us.

Each generation will have its own cars with soul, from the 19-teens to the future. As long as humanity has a love affair with the automobile, they will continue to have 'soul', no matter the era or manufacturer.

Well said Bradley, and if one is old enough-------they can remember that in the early '60's no one "wanted" 1955-57 Chevrolets! Back then they were "just another car" because they were so common. Now they're icons of the '50's commanding crazy prices especially hardtops and convertibles.

50 years from now (if I should live so long), I can think of quite a few new cars on the road today that will be "collectible". B)

Well said Bradley, and if one is old enough-------they can remember that in the early '60's no one "wanted" 1955-57 Chevrolets! Back then they were "just another car" because they were so common.

My dad bought a 55 Chevy 2 door 210 new and kept it 10 years, and I remember a LOT of inquires as to if it was for sale every time we were out in it.