Model Cars Magazine Forum

Are we done yet ?

After re-reading you are correct Harry. I mis-spoke. My apologies.

You mis-spoke, you owned up to it. End of story and case closed. :)

You're a long-time member here, we wouldn't want to see you pack up and leave!

Now back to our program, already in progress... :)

I like the car - it was designed as a "bad " guy car. It's over the top but it's supposed to be.

I like cars that look cool - I don't care what country they originated from or what era. If you do care where and when it was designed or made you are being fairly closed minded.

chevy-camaro-bumblebee-picture-24338.jpg

I saw two of these Camaros today while driving and I have to say I don't really like it very much. It looks fat and bloated, the roof looks smashed down, The wheels look cartoonishly big. It doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't even want to get started on the grille.

As for the rest of what you pictured I like most of those very much.

I saw two of these Camaros today while driving and I have to say I don't really like it very much. It looks fat and bloated, the roof looks smashed down, The wheels look cartoonishly big. It doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't even want to get started on the grille.

As for the rest of what you pictured I like most of those very much.

Yeah- to me, it COULD have been a nice car, but isn't. It's a proportion thing for me- it just looks 'squatty', like it's too wide for its length or too short for its width. I do like the roof, though, but the new Camaros are a real pain to see out of.

Well Andy (Android), gotta disagree with you on one of your points anyway. The Modern Camaro, Challenger, Mustang; they all make FAR more power than our beloved original issues.

1) The iconic Boss 429 Mustang, 450hp through a flimsy body with NO options really. 2011 Mustang GT500, 500hp from a SMALLER, more fuel efficient engine transfered through a much more rigid platform and available with every option. Yeah, the new Mustang wins (heck, when you have 345hp from a V6!)

2) The 426 Hemi Challenger of 70-71, 425hp through a clunky drivetrain that got 9-12mpg. The 2011 SRT8 Challenger, 425hp (from a smaller engine again) through a much smoother drivetrain and gets 16-22mpg with every creature comfort under the sun.

3) The vaunted Big Block cars or the High-revving 302 Z-28 Camaros; either absolutely scary flimsy to drive or super high revving to make power. 2011 Camaro SS, yeah, 400hp through a silky driveline (again, through, in some cases, a smaller engine) that can handle, stop, and go all without making you look around for your guardian angel!

And let's not even get started on what the imports are doing with minuscule displacement.......some of their power output make American Muscle from the 'Golden Era' blush with embarrassment.

Oh, and put me down for the 66-67 Dodge/Plymouth B-bodies as being some of the nicest cars to roll off the line.

But the modern cars seem to be A LOT heavier than the old ones.

You can thank our fine folks in D.C for all of the safety regs that cars need to have these days. From inside door guard beams, to airbags-----cars ARE a lot safer today than their '60's brethren.

Not to mention all of the creature comforts that people want today. Air, power everything, and the fact that today's cars basic structure has to be as tough as possible to pass crash standards...........I'm surprised they're as light as they are.

Not to mention all of the creature comforts that people want today. Air, power everything, and the fact that today's cars basic structure has to be as tough as possible to pass crash standards...........I'm surprised they're as light as they are.

Yeah.

I HATE it when everything is powered!!! I'd rather do it manually! :lol:

Would you buy this Camaro?

2011-Camaro-SS.jpg

I find it interesting Jake, who if I recall is only 16 or so, posted six photos of modern cars that he apparently considers good looking. Three of these, Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger are, arguably, design throwbacks to an earlier era.

I'm torn, having grown up in the 60's I love the cars, but I wouldn't trade modern technology for one. Lazy I guess.

Every time I think cars become more and more generic looking, something comes along that makes me think "ooohhhh, me likey".

As far as that rod on page 1, not my cup o' tea, but consider this, it was built for a role in a movie. Different standards there.

G

Would you buy this Camaro?

2011-Camaro-SS.jpg

It looks 100x's better than the bumble bee one that was out a few years ago, but still no. Many of the same issues just with smoother lines. I don't know what it is but it Seems Ford, Chevy, and Dodge just seem to have so much trouble moving on from the Muscle car era. Trying to modify those designs to look more modern just makes them look silly. When Dodge did the Viper I thought they really were on to something design wise and every update just got better. Old cars are just that old cars leave them be and create something new.

Sometimes the thought of we can build it better is not true.

Case in point;

Dodge Charger

Dodge Challenger

Ford Mustang

Chevrolet Camaro

Sometimes you just can not improve on the design of a classic.

Well Andy (Android), gotta disagree with you on one of your points anyway. The Modern Camaro, Challenger, Mustang; they all make FAR more power than our beloved original issues.

1) The iconic Boss 429 Mustang, 450hp through a flimsy body with NO options really. 2011 Mustang GT500, 500hp from a SMALLER, more fuel efficient engine transfered through a much more rigid platform and available with every option. Yeah, the new Mustang wins (heck, when you have 345hp from a V6!)

2) The 426 Hemi Challenger of 70-71, 425hp through a clunky drivetrain that got 9-12mpg. The 2011 SRT8 Challenger, 425hp (from a smaller engine again) through a much smoother drivetrain and gets 16-22mpg with every creature comfort under the sun.

3) The vaunted Big Block cars or the High-revving 302 Z-28 Camaros; either absolutely scary flimsy to drive or super high revving to make power. 2011 Camaro SS, yeah, 400hp through a silky driveline (again, through, in some cases, a smaller engine) that can handle, stop, and go all without making you look around for your guardian angel!

And let's not even get started on what the imports are doing with minuscule displacement.......some of their power output make American Muscle from the 'Golden Era' blush with embarrassment.

Oh, and put me down for the 66-67 Dodge/Plymouth B-bodies as being some of the nicest cars to roll off the line.

Yeah, more horsepower these days, but.. the '69/'70 Mustang was a lot better looking, Dodge did a good job copying the Challenger look, the new Camaro looks better to me seeing it on the street, all the pictures preceding it I didn't much care for, and considering all the better set-ups nowadays as you point out (horsepower, drivetrain, gas mileage etc.), I'd still take a '70 BB Plymouth 'Cuda over any of the new cars anyday.

As far as cars looking heavier but being lighter you can thank modern design like unibody construction and new materials, plastics, aluminium, alloy steels etc which are lighter and stronger.

I do wish they would move on from the chopped look. I can understand a lot of the concessions made for better aerodynamics and safety, but don't see the point in the slit window look which is not visually appealing on most cars or practical (poor visibility).

Harry can you unchop the 2011 Camaro? The production car opened up the grill which I think looks much better than the prototype, and it seems like giving it a bit more window would also improve the look.

I know foriegn cars are not terribly popular around here, but I've always thought the 1970-74 Toyota Celica, and the 1970-73 Ford Capri were nice looking cars which was not the case with most of the early 70s small cars. The 1987-89 Toyota Celica isn't bad looking either , somewhat returning to the original look(unfortunately I can't say the same about the Celicas on either side of it).

Harry can you unchop the 2011 Camaro?

That's exactly what I did... I raised the roof about 3-4 inches, then further raised the top edges of the side windows so the roofline doesn't look so "chunky."

Of course, I spent all of 5 minutes on that illustration... if I took the time to think about it and seriously rework the car, I might do more, but that squashed roof has definitely got to go! And the hideous front end that looks like some sort of giant grinning insect... :P