Model Cars Magazine Forum

my 69 Z/28 camaro police car

richcrabman

How did you hollow out the grill?

Hi Andrew,very carefully!....i used my dremel with the sanding drum,and just sanded until you can see through the grill.then used a thin scalpel blade to remove all the tabs from inside the grill.

Thanks,

Rich

you're right, i overthought it and reached the wrong conclusion

so a 1/25 scale engine would be best but i still think a 1/24 scale should work aswell

glad to hear that

i wasnt going to suggest blowers since it might make the car look too much like the falcon from madmax

(on a side note, im american english a gearbox is a transmission....if you go to a junkyard here and ask for a gearbox they give you the windshield wiper motor)

so lets see some mock ups of the engine :lol:

Really?......and in england,a junkyard is a scrapyard.I'm not going to use the blower as i thought it would be to much like a ford falcon.so will get the engine mocked up,and it will have cone air filters on so it will sit just under the bonnet/hood air intake.

Thanks,

Rich

now this is getting even more interesting. im no mopar guy, but im sure theres a 440 in 1/25.

we refer to a scrapyard as a place where you take your scraps of metal that techically have no use or value. the only value it has is to come back as something else in the future to use. B)

junkyard because one mans junk, is anothers treasure. ;)

I like this build a lot. The stance is great, and the overall appearance of the car is superb. Great work on the interior.

You can get hemis from Ross Gibson Engines. I think you probably want one of these:

Nitro-Hemi (RGE-207)

Vintage Hemi 392CI (RGE-302)

They're funny car motors, but all you really need to do is change out the headers, and you should be good to go. If you'd rather stay with a GM power plant, you can do get that too (big block or small block).

Edited by jsimmons

I like this build a lot. The stance is great, and the overall appearance of the car is superb. Great work on the interior.

You can get hemis from Ross Gibson Engines. I think you probably want one of these:

Nitro-Hemi (RGE-207)

Vintage Hemi 392CI (RGE-302)

They're funny car motors, but all you really need to do is change out the headers, and you should be good to go. If you'd rather stay with a GM power plant, you can do get that too (big block or small block).

Hi John,thanks i like the stance aswell....i have a Pontiac firebird kit,think it's a 70 sumthing.so would the engine fit from that into my camero?

Rich

Hi John,thanks i like the stance aswell....i have a Pontiac firebird kit,think it's a 70 sumthing.so would the engine fit from that into my camero?

Rich

seeing as how the pontiac firebird and the chevy camaro are about as closely related as a opel kadett and a vauxhaull astra are that engine should drop right in

but nothing is as iconic as a hemi

just to give you an idea, let me dispay a few of my hemis :lol:

here is a 426 with hilborne fuel injection (kitbashed but you should be able to find this set-up in the cocacola dodge A-100)

IMG00094-20100104-2054.jpg

this one is a 392 desoto firedome engine...oldschool power and looks great in any rod, i got this one from the modified stockers 53 ford carhauler

IMG00029-20091129-1943.jpg

and this one is the daddy of them all...twin torbocharged supercharged dual overhead cam 426 hemi. the turbos are from shucky, the supercharger is kitbashed and the engine is from the AMT pro street superbee

utf-8BSU1HMDA1OTktMjAxMDA2MjUtMjEzM.jpg

######!!....there fine looking engines.yep i think a hemi will finish the car off.

I've got a 426 hemi from a 69 charger 500.but then there Is a 71 cuda 440 on eBay or a 67 dodge charger or a 71 dodge challenger 440 on eBay.which one to go for????

B)

are you just going around the forum posting that face ?

this is the third on ive seen, all with timestamps within 3 minutes

Rich, for your question where you can find some nice engines...ebay is always good

type in "junkyard lot" (or i guess scrapyard lot since your british) and see what that brings up

if you want to buy full kits a few that have the extra engine in them are the revell 68 charger, the revell 32 ford, the lindberg coca cola dodge A-100 and the modified stockers 53 ford carhauler

especially the 53 ford comes with a ton of options and some nice diorama parts (tool box, welder)

of course you could get any of the ones you were following on ebay but with these kits i mentioned you wont find yourself looking for an engine later

I was thinking why the face?.....anyway I will take a look at the kits mentioned for when i need the replacement engine for my charger 500.as I've nicked the hemi from that and now trying to make it fit into a camero engine bay,not easy!!.....I will get some pics up later and then you guys can see where I'm going with this.and hopefully advise on what i need to do on the engine to make it all look right in the car.

Btw if an engine is fitted with a super charger,does the car still have a fan for the radiator?

Thanks,

Rich

oh right :unsure: .....OK here is what I've managed to come up with.mpc dodge charger 500 engine and the revell camaro gearbox.seems to fit OK but with the supercharger on the top,doesn't allow the hood to shut.so might have to leave it off?

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

OK guys please let me know what you think,and any suggestions you may want to share.

thanks,

rich

A supercharged engine will still require a cooling system. They are independent of each other.

G

ps :unsure:

i think the reason for his question is the way a lot of racecars run their belts

they replace the belt driven fan with a electric one to reduce power robbing drag from the engine

so im guessing the engine he has doesnt have a pulley for the fan and thats why he asking....so in short, you need to install an electric fan

as for the hood...i would just cut a whole in it and have the engine stick out a bit

you can always scratchbuild an enclosur on top of that

I'm sorry fellas I'm rubish with engine knowlege.I havnt a clue were goes what,and how things work.I'm just guessing with parts and goggle but that isn't helping!!......so what i will do is mock some more up on the engine,and fit all the supercharger parts from the kit,then you guys can give me some of you expertise.

Then I'll post some more pics up.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich

You're building a model car - anything can fit with the appropriate modifications (and you don't need to have "friends" come over to help you sort it out while they drink all your beer). ;)

You're building a model car - anything can fit with the appropriate modifications (and you don't need to have "friends" come over to help you sort it out while they drink all your beer). ;)

Yeah your right John,to hell with it!!.....the model is on fictitious anyway,and not based on any real life car.....apart from it being based on a camaro.

So it's having a hemi stuck in it,with some alterations to make it fit.

And the beers are on me guys. ;)

Thanks,

Rich

Yeah your right John,to hell with it!!.....the model is on fictitious anyway,and not based on any real life car.....apart from it being based on a camaro.

So it's having a hemi stuck in it,with some alterations to make it fit.

And the beers are on me guys. ;)

Thanks,

Rich

great...dead pale ale...yay

you can go ahead and buy me a henieken instead.

actualy...carlsberg is tasty

thats english right ?

and you're right, its your model, build it however you want

great...dead pale ale...yay

you can go ahead and buy me a henieken instead.

actualy...carlsberg is tasty

thats english right ?

and you're right, its your model, build it however you want

lol....carlsberg is tasty

that's English right ?

NO!!.....carlsberg is Belgium larger.i don't think there is a English larger or beer.magners Irish cider is nice,and of course the black stuff.guinness is tops.....

I'm just gonna go with the modelling licence and build what i thinks right. ;)

thanks,

rich