Model Cars Magazine Forum

my 69 Z/28 camaro police car

richcrabman

blockhuggers..what are those?

rich

blockhuggers is a generic term for any type of headers (exhaust manifolds) that run closer to the engine block then usual

they are designed that way to allow you to fit large engines in small spaces

(on a side note, check out the way the exhaust was ran on the '63 426 ramcharger (dodge 330)

I like it.

The dash light either needs a shield behind or the backside blacked out so the driver doesn't get blinded when he turns it on.

like you have EVER seen a cop without his shades on...now you know why B)

blockhuggers is a generic term for any type of headers (exhaust manifolds) that run closer to the engine block then usual

they are designed that way to allow you to fit large engines in small spaces

(on a side note, check out the way the exhaust was ran on the '63 426 ramcharger (dodge 330)

like you have EVER seen a cop without his shades on...now you know why B)

lol...of course. :lol::rolleyes::lol:

sorry diymirage,i havnt a clue whay you mean. B) ....like i said,im not that clued up on engines.

rich

allright, this is going to sound stupid but try this

put your arms on your hips and walk through a door

(this is to ilustrate how regular exhausts are)

note the space between the doorframe and your elbows

now warpa your arms around your tummy like your laughing reall hard

walk through the door again and notice how much more room there is between the frame and your elbows

this is in essence how block huggers work, they wrap the exhaust pipes closer to the block so there is more room in the engine bay...or there is less room needed in the engine bay so it fits in a smaller car

like you have EVER seen a cop without his shades on...now you know why :lol:

I have personal second hand knowledge. I worked as an EMT in an oil refinery for 6 months and the truck they gave us had a kojak light stored on a metal plate on the dash. We got new guy, 19 years old fresh out of EMT school, and after his first call he was complaining about how bright the emergency light was. That is when we had to show him it was magnetic and was supposed to go on the roof when used. :rolleyes: I guess he never saw any of the classic 70s cop shows. B)

I have personal second hand knowledge. I worked as an EMT in an oil refinery for 6 months and the truck they gave us had a kojak light stored on a metal plate on the dash. We got new guy, 19 years old fresh out of EMT school, and after his first call he was complaining about how bright the emergency light was. That is when we had to show him it was magnetic and was supposed to go on the roof when used. :lol: I guess he never saw any of the classic 70s cop shows. :)

Lmao!.....yeah abit like starsky and hutch.

allright, this is going to sound stupid but try this

put your arms on your hips and walk through a door

(this is to ilustrate how regular exhausts are)

note the space between the doorframe and your elbows

now warpa your arms around your tummy like your laughing reall hard

walk through the door again and notice how much more room there is between the frame and your elbows

this is in essence how block huggers work, they wrap the exhaust pipes closer to the block so there is more room in the engine bay...or there is less room needed in the engine bay so it fits in a smaller car

Ouch I've got sore elbows now!!......but that is a great way to explain somthing so simple.now i get you and have more of an idea.

Thanks,

Rich

Here's the Dodge take on mounting headers in a small space.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/403040,13731/1963-Dodge-Polara_photo.aspx

We never put a dash light on the roof. We painted the back 1/3 black, and had a small sheet steel plate for the magnets on the dash in some cars.

Oh, and I have seen the Federal Signal "Fireball" aka "Kojack Light" catch fire. B)

G

i was able to fit the headers from the Revell '67 GTX to my Hemi powered '69 Nova but i did not have the stock front suspension to worry about clearance wise,

0112.jpg

the easiest way to get headers for a unique project like this is to make them from solder. typical block hugger headers like suggested tend to dump straight down from the center exhaust ports which would probably cause interference issues with the crossmember and suspension/steering in the Camaro.

what kit was the source of the yellow plastic Hemi?

Hi Dave thanks for posting the pic.....and to be honest,I'm thinking of sticking with the standard engine.as I'm having a right nightmare trying to source parts and making it fit,grrrraaa!!!!.....

The hemi is from the mpc ertl dodge charger 500 kit built 2 ways.

Rich

Hi Dave thanks for posting the pic.....and to be honest,I'm thinking of sticking with the standard engine.as I'm having a right nightmare trying to source parts and making it fit,grrrraaa!!!!.....

The hemi is from the mpc ertl dodge charger 500 kit built 2 ways.

Rich

I think that would be a better choice. You could still add a blower to it to increase the horse power. Plus, it will keep it all Chevy. B) Nice work BTW!

thanks roger,glad you like it.....I'm gutted i cant put the hemi in it,but there you go.i have had to put it to one side as its getting on my nerves a bit.so started to finish off a refurb model had off my dad years ago.......pics to follow B)

rich

no, dont give up

i have faith in you man

i think the GTX headers that were mentioned should fit just fine

(ill check my partsbox and see if i have a set....we might be able to make it work)

plus, a hemi would really make that car kick

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it

Thanks Eelco,that's really great of you.but I'm Also stuck on how to make the steering frame fit,and engine mounts!!!!.....two days I've googled,drawn,sweated,drank beer and still can't make anything work!!

I really do want to put the hemi in,but it's brought me to a dead end.

Is there any front subframe that could fit a 69 camaro chassis,and still allow me to fit the hemi?

Thanks,

Rich

Edited by richcrabman

Thanks Eelco,that's really great of you.but I'm Also stuck on how to make the steering frame fit,and engine mounts!!!!.....two days I've googled,drawn,sweated,drank beer and still can't make anything work!!

I really do want to put the hemi in,but it's brought me to a dead end.

Is there any front subframe that could fit a 69 camaro chassis,and still allow me to fit the hemi?

Thanks,

Rich

feast your eyes on this....

the model is a revell/monogram 69 z/28 camaro and the frame is the MPC generic late 60s early 70s mopar chassis

(this one came from a 74 GTX but ive seen the same one under superbees monacos, you name it)

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNjQtMjAxMTA2MjktMjIwMC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNjUtMjAxMTA2MjktMjIwMi5qcGc.jpg

as you can see the engine bay is wide enough to fit underneath the camaro fenders

most of these cars came with bigblock power including the all powerfull hemi

the wheelbase is very close but not perfect for the camaro

and the body of the camaro is wider then the mopar frame so you may have a bit of trimming to do

if it were me, i would cut out the front end of the mopar frame and attach it to the rear end of the camaro frame

if your interested you can have it

feast your eyes on this....

the model is a revell/monogram 69 z/28 camaro and the frame is the MPC generic late 60s early 70s mopar chassis

(this one came from a 74 GTX but ive seen the same one under superbees monacos, you name it)

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNjQtMjAxMTA2MjktMjIwMC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNjUtMjAxMTA2MjktMjIwMi5qcGc.jpg

as you can see the engine bay is wide enough to fit underneath the camaro fenders

most of these cars came with bigblock power including the all powerfull hemi

the wheelbase is very close but not perfect for the camaro

and the body of the camaro is wider then the mopar frame so you may have a bit of trimming to do

if it were me, i would cut out the front end of the mopar frame and attach it to the rear end of the camaro frame

if your interested you can have it

Ahh man you are a star!!!.....yes please if that's ok? Then if i use the front end of that chassis,i won't need to use those exhaust huggers then,will i?

Thanks,

Rich

you're right, the stock manifolds should fit just fine with this subframe

the suspension is somewhat crude but i never minded that

let me know when you want to swing by and pick it up

i kid man...i know you live a few thousand miles from here

do you want me to send the whole thing over or cut it just behind the subframe (where the exhaust and drive shaft are molded in) ?

you will need to do a little bit of trimming on that section anyway to make the tranny/driveshaft clear the subframe

shoot me a PM with your address and what you want me to do and ill get it out asap

oh, and to give you an idea of how it build up, this is the same frame under a 74 GTX but with a 440 in it

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNzktMjAxMTAyMjAtMjA0Mi5qcGc.jpg

you're right, the stock manifolds should fit just fine with this subframe

the suspension is somewhat crude but i never minded that

let me know when you want to swing by and pick it up

i kid man...i know you live a few thousand miles from here

do you want me to send the whole thing over or cut it just behind the subframe (where the exhaust and drive shaft are molded in) ?

you will need to do a little bit of trimming on that section anyway to make the tranny/driveshaft clear the subframe

Eelco,pm sent

Rich

shoot me a PM with your address and what you want me to do and ill get it out asap

oh, and to give you an idea of how it build up, this is the same frame under a 74 GTX but with a 440 in it

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNzktMjAxMTAyMjAtMjA0Mi5qcGc.jpg

• 2 years later...

thought id update this thread.

All the pics have gone of my build,as my photobucket account disappeared?

So looks like I'll have to carry on from where i am with it now.

Decided on using these wheels,which will have satin black centres and bolts picked out in silver.

I've lost the engine to it,as the plan was to have a big block hemi.

This idea had now changed so looking at putting in another chevy engine,but what Chevy?

So for now here is a pic of camaro how it stands now.