Model Cars Magazine Forum

Yea you read it right, 1/6.

After a long journey into wee scale I'm back into biggies.

Take one 1/6 scale Tamiya Harley,

000_6073-vi.jpg

one 1/6 scale GI Joe Harley,

000_6075-vi.jpg

one 1/6 scale Harley Panhead diecast engine,

000_6077-vi.jpg

put them in a blender and see what pops out.

000_6076-vi.jpg

This will be converted to a ridgid frame and retro fitted to an early 50's fat bob.

I got the frame mostly done, built a horse shoe oil tank for it and took the front fender and moved it to the rear. I also had to modify the gas tanks for clearance and stole a seat from the parts box.

48-vi.jpg

It's actually starting to look like something now.

31-vi.jpg

I had a minor frame alignment problem but got it fixed without much difficulty. Since the late model swing arm frame had hydraulic brakes and a foot shift I had to fabricate just about everything to convert it over to mechanical brakes and foot clutch/hand shift. I still have some tweaking to do on the GI Joe pedals but you get the idea.

I used the bottom of two pill bottles to create a brake backing plate & drum.

104-vi.jpg

127-vi.jpg

I used round plastruc for the brake actuating pivot tube and made the linkage with flat plastruc & piano wire.

117-vi.jpg

137-vi.jpg

This has been more tedious than I expected and I have a lot of little fiddly details to go so stay tuned.

• 3 months later...

Looks great! I've been planning to build Bobber style HD from Revell's 1/12 scale chopper kits. I just don't like too modern style choppers, so I must build old styled bobber. But finding correct rear tire is hard, I don't like so wide and low profile one, Revell has in that kit... :angry:

Thanks for the comments guys. I've been in a real slump lately and am glad it's finished.

Drew C - I've built several real Harleys over the last 40 odd years since I started riding. If I can find my old photo album I'll scan a few pics and post them here.

Mike MC - If I remember correctly the engine is a die cast issued by Harley for their 75th anniversary. They made a Knuck, Pan & Shovel. You can find them on e bay but the price is usually steep. I like you Pan, what year is it ?

Sam - I Have the GI Joe that came with the 45 but don't think thats gonna happen. heh heh heh.

Edited by old-hermit

• 4 weeks later...