Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Type of Modeler are you??

Hey Fellas sounds like a simple question Huh? But is it really that simple. you see im not asking what type of models you like to build. Im asking what type of modeler you are. First lets explore the classifications or what would put you or me in any one class, or maybe a cross mix of classes.

Class #1. Box Stock: a box stock builder is one who makes the most out of whatever comes in the cardboard box that is supplied with most model kits today. A Kit being made of plastic (or resin in some cases) but is an entire build within itself and will be a completed project when done with out adding anything other than glue, paint, foil and time.

Class #2. Multi Media : A multi Media builder is one that will take advantage of all building sorces, Kits (which were described in the above section) ,aftermarket parts being any parts ie. bodys detail parts wheels, wiring etc etc....., and scratch built parts which would be parts that are made by the builder,( scratch built parts made by someone eles would be considered aftermarket parts) and of course modified parts.

Class#3 Scratch build: Now this one should sound simple, but its not because you will find those who say they are scratch builders , but in reality they are Kit bashers (which will be discussed next) A true scratch builder makes his parts from raw materials such as sheet styrene, styrene tubes, copper , brass, aluminum, steel etc. they use these mateirals to form the parts need to complete builds ther are very few builders i know who can build a model 100% scratch ( there are some fine ones here on this forum).

Class #4. Kit Basher: What is Kit Bashing? KB is an art all to its self its finding the exact parts you need to complete your build in other kits not related or related to the subject one is working on. ie you may want to build a drag car , so you take the chassis form the Revell Pro Street ThunderBird, you use the body from the AMT 86 Monte Carlo SS, the motor from another kit and youve got yourself a kit bashed project.

so in examining these 4 classes which class or classes are you in? feel free to comment and post one (1) photo of your best example. oh as for me im a class 2&3 :lol:

Edited by Aftashox

I dunno Rommel, been wiring engines since 1964 with Button thread . I started scratch building bodies I guess in 1966. I kit bashed as I went along then too. Today, I scratch build almost 60 % of what I do as I tend towards gasoline pumps . Ed Shaver

Uh, can I have a choice #5, ALL OF THE ABOVE!?!? :lol::blink::huh::P

On the serious side, I really tend to fall into class 4 most often, especially since my fiancee has told me on more than one occasion that I "can never build anything straight out of the box". I just really started getting more into the scratchbuilding and multimedia sections last year with my (still :lol: ) ongoing Ford LTL 9000 big rig I've been working on for a little over a year now.

HPIM3010.jpg

It falls into all three of those categories because I scratchbuilt the sleeper walls, roof, and bottom from sheet styrene, used another kit's front "roo" bumper modified to fit the stock bumper and stole the engine from yet another kit, and using resin add ons like the rear fenders and a few other things not in this pic, as well as the exhaust stacks made from aluminum tubing, which are also not in this pic.

I do on rare occasions build something to fit the class #1 out of box, though. :lol: My Revell 09 Challenger is getting that rare treatment! :lol:

HPIM1515.jpg

Wel as for me i would have to say ... #2 ..and ..#3..

my case in point are as follows ...lol

some may remember this one it was my first build post here ..... the whole frame and suspention was scrached as well as the cage, the inner fenders , rad suport,fire wall ,a number of engine an interior parts also ... lol

018-2.jpg

73cuda003.jpg

010-2.jpg

and lets not forget the ramcharger.. full scratched suspention w/4 wheel steer....and engine.parts..

078.jpg

009-1.jpg

033.jpg

and now for the #3 slot.... the lowrider and my first one at that...lol

1236.jpg

1233.jpg

1243.jpg

Edited by mopar01lee

#1 with occasional parts-swapping and occasional extra details. My plan for this year is to start learning how to add more things like a little photo-etch, wiring, etc.

It's taken me a long time to get to this point, so I'm going to give it a whirl.

Charlie Larkin