Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

48 Ford Convertible Street Rod 10/27

white-snake

My kiddos bought this model for me a few years ago and I decided it was time to get it going. This will be the first street rod i have done.

I plan on scratch building a 4 point rear suspension, and could probably use some help on how to scratch build a modern front suspension.

I have already opened one door and still have the other to go. Will be suicide doors and flip nose hood.

Also thinking about putting a fuel cell in the trunk, any suggestion or reference photos would be great.

Thanks for looking and feedback is always welcome.

post-8277-0-47626700-1308806010_thumb.jp

post-8277-0-05127700-1308806162_thumb.jp

post-8277-0-68490200-1308806242_thumb.jp

post-8277-0-10932000-1308806287_thumb.jp

Edited by white-snake

Thanks for the info on the brass strip, I would have never thought about that.

IMAG0156.jpg

I have been able to get both doors open and hinged. i have everything ready for bondo and sanding on the body

IMAG0155.jpg

IMAG0154.jpg

IMAG0153.jpg

I have also stared the inside of the trunk.

IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0157.jpg

As Always, feed back is welcome. and again, Billy thanks for the help.

Need help please...

I'm looking for a nice ford rear end. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a kit or resin part that I could get.

Going to be starting on the chassis and suspension this weekend

Edited by white-snake

Need help please...

I'm looking for a nice ford rear end. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a kit or resin part that I could get.

IMO, the best looking nine inch comes in the AMT '66 Fairlane. Followed closely by the one in the AMT '57 Corvette street machine. Wish I had one for you,but I'm out of them currently. :) Nice looking build so far. I really like the work you've done in the trunk.

• 2 weeks later...

Was able to get some work done this weekend on the frame. B)

Here is what i started with:

IMAG0162.jpg

I wanted a more tubular moderan frame. I remove the x style braces and replaced with a fram style that I found on line. Here is what I came up with.

IMAG0186.jpg

IMAG0185.jpg

IMAG0187.jpg

IMAG0189.jpg

Still have a little more work to finish shaping the rest of the frame and the on the front suspension.

Thank you for looking and as alway feed back it welcome. :(

I have a rather large update, I was able to find a ford rear end in an old kit and get the 4 link done. I also started on the front suspension. I have never scratched build any suspension before, I hope it looks right. :angry:

This is the last week before the show and have a lot to get done. Please enjoy and as always feed back if welcome.

Here is my start to the front suspension:

I used a A-arm from another kit as reference, just had to shorten it a little to fit under the fenders.IMAG0214.jpg

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

My very first sratch built 4 link rear suspension: (I was able to do this with help from a lot of the post on here. Thanks fellas)

IMAG0230.jpg

IMAG0229.jpg

Relly happy with the way it turnd out. It really works too. :rolleyes: Now I'm just waiting to get my shocks in the mail.

IMAG0235.jpg

IMAG0236.jpg

IMAG0238.jpg

Thanks again for looking, feed back is always welcome.

Need help please...

IMO, the best looking nine inch comes in the AMT '66 Fairlane. Followed closely by the one in the AMT '57 Corvette street machine. Wish I had one for you,but I'm out of them currently. :lol: Nice looking build so far. I really like the work you've done in the trunk.

I concur with the 57 vette rear........you can see it on this 32.....

IMG_0617-1.jpg

With that sweet frame IMHO go with a vette rear, your frame is close to Boyds Coupster..et al

That kits frame is close to yours, and the vette rear is sweet!

tess5313.jpg

IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

I love this whole build...Gonna be very Kewl!!!