Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italeri Peterbilt 379-119 Day Cab

I think it looks great! Put it on the shelf and then, when your ready, clean, assemble and detail the parts needed to complete it and then when your ready, grab the truck from the shelf and finish her up!

That is a very nice build, love that day cab and I think it turned out great! You all are getting some really nice results with that duplicolor chrome, I might have to give it a try.

Mark

Thanks, Mark! I'm just glad the pics are not HD!

The Dupli-Color Chrome works well and gives, IMHO, a more realistic representation of chrome in 1/24th scale. It takes a lot of work to remove the chrome and clear coating from the chromed parts. And well-cured Dupli-Color Chrome tolerates a little bit of handling with bare fingers; the heat from your fingers is enough to finger print the surface and it certainly does not tolerate the punishment I gave it trying to fit the cab and hood.

When I do another one of these I think I will shoot the parts with Dupli-Color Aluminum (the engine plumbing in the pics is Aluminum...).

Last, there is a definite issue between the aft side of the radiator shroud/fan and the front of the pulleys and belts on the front of the engine. I trimmed a lot of material from that interface and I still had to move the cab forward 1/32 inch.

Nice clean and careful build. Doesn't stripping the factory chrome and replacing it with more realist paint make a model look more authentic? You've got skills.

Thank you, Chuck!

Yes, I agree that "stripping the factory chrome and replacing it with more realistic paint make a model look more authentic".

Scott

Edited by M. Scott Borden

Scott hi,

Paint the rear axles airbags black, add the T&T TRUCKING logo on the doors and there you are!!!!

I can understand that you had to move on and leave this build aside, I am stack for many moons with all me restoration builds I wanna do before continue with a new one, but look at you Peterbilt, you are so clode to finish it, go on!!!

Kostas.

Kostas,

The painted airbags.. technically it is correct for a truck that hasn't made it very far from the factory. The air bags are painted. They used to mask them off but discovered the paint comes off of them quite soon after the airbags are flexed anyway eliminating the need for masking.

Just a bit of trivia...

Tim

Scott hi,

Paint the rear axles airbags black, add the T&T TRUCKING logo on the doors and there you are!!!!

I can understand that you had to move on and leave this build aside, I am stack for many moons with all me restoration builds I wanna do before continue with a new one, but look at you Peterbilt, you are so clode to finish it, go on!!!

Kostas.

Kostas,

The painted airbags.. technically it is correct for a truck that hasn't made it very far from the factory. The air bags are painted. They used to mask them off but discovered the paint comes off of them quite soon after the airbags are flexed anyway eliminating the need for masking.

Just a bit of trivia...

Tim

Uhhhh...

I would like to apologise for my comment. It was a comment under the good meaning.

I thought that because the airbags are made of rubber they supposed to be black.

Never mind, I like to see great models like this one and I hope my models look the half nice as this one.

Kostas.

Edited by Kostas Parchas

First, Paul, thank you for the two photos of T&T trucks. If I am correct, this is a first generation 385; it inspires me to try a 377 with the T&T livery (I've destroyed two 377 hoods trying to make a 385 hood).

99sheldon27.jpg

Last, thank you, all, for your thoughtful suggestions, comments, and encouragement

My Best,

Scott