Model Cars Magazine Forum

Studebaker "bulletnose" gasser

jeffs396

I know alot here do not like messing with diecasts, but to me, if the subject isn't available in styrene or resin (I know, a bullet Stude is available in resin!) then I'll rework one, it is still a MODEL CAR! :blink:

Anyway, here's a Johnny Lightning 1/24 Studebaker, 1951. Available at Walmart for $15 or so. Not bad looking as is (except for the baby blue :lol: ). The " Dear Moebius" thread really got me wanting to start a Studebaker gasser (thanks Casey! post #14)

Here it is before stripping:

IMG_30172.jpg

IMG_30162.jpg

IMG_30152.jpg

IMG_30142.jpg

Shaved the door handles, top of fender spears, trunk emblem, fuel filler chrome piece, and enlarged the rear wheel openings. Mimicked the shape of the front fender openings, not sure if I like it or want to make them round?

IMG_30182.jpg

IMG_30192.jpg

IMG_30202.jpg

These are mockup pics, still lots-o-work to do, final ride height, maybe different wheels, body work, and something sinister poking thru the hood!

Please...opinions, suggestions, and anything else welcome!

Edited by jeffs396

Thats gonna be killer.

If its gonna sit pretty close to where you have it, I think i'd enjoy seeing the rear openings a little more round. Thats just my personal opinion of course and its all about whats gonna please you. So I say go for it and dont spend quite as much time looking and thinking about it to much like I would, or you'll never get anything done. :lol: :lol:

Ron

A Stude on steroids..........can't get much better. :lol:

I argee, if this is going to be the stance, the rear wheel well need to be radiused just a tad more. Great suject matter.........stopping at Wally World after work tomorrow...... :D Thanks for the heads up.

Sully

Looks to me as though you have studied some 1964 and 65 Car Craft and perhaps Hot Rod magazines . This was the era of the sky high in the air Funnycar . I agree, in order to have a realistic racer, one would need to radius the rear wheel house as the Drag slicks of the time would need room so as to not rub the body or , blow out . Ed Shaver

Thanks for all of the positive comments guys! Have always thought these cars were sexy, in an Uma Thurman kinda way :P

I'll try the round rear wheelwell cutouts & see how she looks...

Last time I was in Walmart, the newest run of these were black, looks alot better than the baby blue...will be picking up another one for a ProStreet build in the future B)

This is one HEAVY casting guys :o If planning on an engine, lots of cutting will be required to open it up. I'll be zingin' more metal soon ;)

I had one of them, ( Starlight coupes ) to re- install the glass on back I guess in 1989. I sweated for hours as I was scared to death that I was going to pinch the rope as I was putting the rear glasses in . I felt like going on a perminate vacation when I finished a couple of hours later . Oh , it was all cold and icy outside when I did that job too ! Would you beleive that Studebaker was Black too ? Ed Shaver

I tried another Walmart that's 20 minutes north .. and smaller than the closer one .. and they had 2 light blue Studes. B) Just have to look around. This was only $15 .. it was $19 plus $10 shipping online!

Edited by Foxer

I tried our Walmart in Medina, Ohio. No luck. They barely have anything other than Hot Wheels. I'll have to try some other Walmart's. That Stude looks like a "gotta have". Aaron Dupont

Hey Aaron, you could try the one in Strongsville but, I think they have less than Medina. I will probably be in the Parma area tonight and am going to take a look out there... I'll get back to you and let you know on that one...

I tried another Walmart that's 20 minutes north .. and smaller than the closer one .. and they had 2 light blue Studes. ;) Just have to look around. This was only $15 .. it was $19 plus $10 shipping online!

Did you buy 'em both Mike? :lol:

A little update...rounded out the wheelwell and tried out some different rims. Opinions?

IMG_30492.jpg

IMG_30502.jpg

Here's all the beefy zinc alloy that lies under the hood...lots of cutting if you want to put an engine in there :lol:

IMG_30472.jpg

IMG_30482.jpg

I'll pick up any additional Studes I see in my local Walmarts, in case some of you can't find 'em. They seem to be in pretty good supply around here...