Model Cars Magazine Forum

1994 Mustang on slicks

shucky

Haven't posted a build on here in a while. Needed something to get me out of my modeling slump, so I dug into an old mountain of kits and pulled out this AMT 1994 Mustang. Looked like a decent kit to have some fun with and relatively easy to build. Most work will be in the motor (my favorite) so once that is sorted it should move right along. I'll be using one of my resin drag Prochargers on this one.

The kit:

IMG_1027.jpg

Early mock up. Wheels are anodized billet slot car wheels. Front tires are rubber o-rings shaved down on the dremel + slicks out back. LOTS of rake in the mock up :D

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

Edited by shucky

So the engine compartment is rather tall in this kit and the kit motor is quite tiny. I looked for larger heads and valve covers in the parts box and wasn't satisfied with much. So I set out to scratch build both out of styrene. I'm using the kit engine and trans as a base, shaved down where necessary to accommodate the heads.

Here's kinda what I started with:

IMG_1032.jpg

To get the shape I wanted the head required 5 total pieces of styrene and lots of shaping by hand as well work on my mini disc sander:

IMG_1142.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

Here you can see the head taking shape as well as some bits of aluminum I was punching out:

IMG_1156.jpg

Here is the final shape of the head as well as some bits of aluminum and styrene that will make up the electric water pump:

IMG_1160.jpg

Here we have the valve cover taking shape. Have about 6 hours just in shaping this one by hand

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

Here we have a mostly finished head and valve cover:

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

The thought is to put the head and valve cover in rubber this weekend and make resin copies. This way I only have to make one of each. I will add PE washers to the valve cover to serve as pilot holes after they are resin cast. This will ensure my mounting hardware is lined up correctly all the way around. Additional detailing bits will be added after each is resin cast and primed, painted, etc.

More to come!

Mike,

As the SN95s aren't really my cup of tea (even though I pirate a large sum of their parts for my FOX cars....1:1 that is), I can appreciate a well done SN. Are you going to mini-tub the rear to fit those tires under it, or leave it as it sits?

The heads remind me of either AFR 225s or a set of Sportsman heads. So far, it looks good to go, Mike. The only thing I can see is the rear ride height versus the front ride height.

Thanks guys for the kind words. Brad, the mock up definitely has massive rake. I actually think it's kinda cool but I'm sure when the rear bumper goes on and I raise the front slightly it will not appear so drastic.

Sam, the mini disc sander can be had at a few different places. I picked mine up from Micro Mark when it was on sale.

Edited by shucky

• 3 weeks later...

This project hasn't stalled, I've just been spending much time with measuring, mock up's, and the over all layout of the engine. Right now I'm building up the main parts of the engine with white glue. Here is what I've been working on ...

Was playing around with my Micro Mark punch set and came up with a quick and easy valve cover breather solution. These are discs punched from aluminum sheet and then I punched a slightly smaller disc from craft foam (hobby lobby). These stack up nicely and the foam comes in many colors and gives you a nice realistic texture to boot. I may not use these on this build, but thought I 'd post the pics nonetheless.

IMG_1179.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

Next up is the intake manifold that I started with (Nascar kit). It needed lots of attention!

IMG_1184.jpg

I stripped the chrome in the purple stuff and sanded the sides down carefully using a micro disc sander until it fit my engine. To build the manifold back up I strictly used styrene bits.

IMG_1186.jpg

Where I'm at now. More shaping of the manifold and planning my detailing items to ensure everything is going to fit. Made the distributor from styrene and aluminum tubing. More mock up's.

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

Next up is fine tuning the intake manifold, building an inlet/throttle body, fuel injectors, fuel rails, and the Procharger mounts. Once I'm certain the blower lines up and everything sits nicely in the car I'll soak the engine in hot water for a tear down, get everything in primer and start detailing and putting this thing together. I tend to take my time when I build so there aren't updates 3 x per day lol so thanks for your patience. Thanks for looking!

Edited by shucky