Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442------update 12/19/11

MrObsessive

Dynatron's been a favorite of mine for a number of years now Charlie. The full name is Dynatron Putty-Cote------and it's made by Bondo. I ran into it by accident as I was looking for Evercoat Eurosoft at a local body shop supplier. He didn't have the Eurosoft but intro'd me to the Dynatron and I've been a fan ever since.

It feather edges beautifully as you can see in the pics..........and it has a bit of plastic in it if you need to attach some styrene trim to it for instance. I've used Ambroid Pro-Weld on it in the past, and the styrene trim glued just as if the surface were styrene.

Good stuff! :D

Skip, it's a two part putty.........mixes up pretty much like other two parters. Interestingly enough, I've had this putty for quite some time, yet it's still good as well as the hardener.

In the past I've not had such good luck with putties lasting but for so long. I did make sure the last time I used it that I put the lid on super tight...............it was TOUGH to get off! :lol:

Gotta get used to this new format and the settings for my font type! :blink:

I'll be looking forward to seeing this one done. I used to have a '64 F-85 2- door post sedan. That and my Dad's '65 Vista- Cruiser had that wacky glove box that would pop open if you were going more than 50 on a country road.

The Engine color you're looking for is called "Rame Metallic, It was used from 64-69 on most of the Oldsmobile engines back then, I believe the 64 Cutlass 442 had the 330 Cubic Inch engine,And was painted the color I mentioned above, But the one out of the 66 kit is cosmetically the same on the outside, This is coming along nicely, And your choice in colors sounds perfect for this car.

I've got another small but important update today.............I finally got the vent window posts done!

Using Special Shapes small H-channel brass, I cut it to size, and bent it slightly to represent the curved glass that was new to GM for '64.

P7314206-vi.jpg

Some minor clean up around the edges should take care of any problems that can arise when it comes time to BMF the vent windows. One of the problems when working with resin is replacing areas that were modified..............this happened to the lower edge of the vent window, and I needed to super glue a new lower edge with styrene. Some more cleanup will be needed there for a nice smooth look.

Those that have known me for awhile know how much of a stickler I am for well fitting glass! Nothing drives me crazier than to see a nicely built model, only then to see glass that is ill fitting and/or just distorted looking.

It's one of the reasons I have yet to build AMT's nice '57 Chrysler 300............I can't stand the halo look around the rear glass! Not to mention the woefully wavy look it gives to boot.

One of the things I needed to do with this Olds, is to modify the window openings themselves. The openings have somewhat of a "tunneled" look to it and didn't look right to me. I got out my riffler files and proceeded to thin down the windshield and backlite trim on the inside to something more acceptable looking.

I then made a tracing around the perimeter of the glass on a 3x5 card, then cut that to shape. I then made a couple inner pillars using half round stock and epoxied them inside the A pillars. The driver's side one is a little shorter than the passenger side due to how the interior is going to fit.............I don't want any clearance issues when it comes after final paint and polishing.

P7314214-vi.jpg

P7314210-vi.jpg

Did the same for the rear glass.................

P7314211-vi.jpg

P7314212-vi.jpg

Everything looks like it's going to fit..............I'll later take the patterns and lay them on clear stencil sheet (acetate) and get them so that I can easily fit them in and epoxy them during final assembly. For now the test fitting of the patterns are posing no issue. ;)

Now it's on to final tweaking of the body, and hopefully painting soon!

Thanks for lookin'!

I think, it's six pictures now, or something? Because I'm having same problems, it's stupid to make two posts because of few photos.... But anyway, your project looks really good, as always. It's going to be great model, that work you've done is simply great!

Bill,

Before you go any further on this one, I suggest that you address the rear window shape. For some reason, AMT missed the shape of the rear window on the '64 Cutlass and GTO, with the lower corners being rounded, where on the real car, it was a hard corner, like what is on the Revell '65 Chevelle.

00690429E14_8.jpg

Bill,

Before you go any further on this one, I suggest that you address the rear window shape. For some reason, AMT missed the shape of the rear window on the '64 Cutlass and GTO, with the lower corners being rounded, where on the real car, it was a hard corner, like what is on the Revell '65 Chevelle.

Oh my you're right! :o

I have a similar pic on my hard disc and I overlooked that one! That will be the next fix on the agenda!

Also, I'm planning to "fix" the bumper/grille--------I don't like the one piece nature of it, and I've already taken to working on that. I'll have pics to show if not tonight............definitely tomorrow.

I'm soon to go to bed so I can get to work tonight.........

Thanks again Ron!

Edit: I see that particular version has a rear mounted antennae-------Hmmmm............ :)

Edited by MrObsessive

Looking good Bill. I keep my eyes on this build becouse i have one resin kit also waiting there. :)

How u suggest to fix trim lines on body sides. There is tiny air bubles on them. Should i just fil them with putty or something and sand them to right shape, or should i remove them and try make them from some half rounded evergreen? Car is Volvo Amazon.

how much of the roof of the Olds was shared with the Pontiac?

Two-door hardtop roof stampings for Chevelle, Tempest Lemans (including GTO), Olds F-85 Cutlass, and Buick Skylark were the same. The Chevelle two-door sedan used the roof stamping from the the Chevelle four-door sedans. The two-door pillared coupes from Buick, Olds and Pontiac used the two-door hardtop roof stamping. B.O.P. four door sedans had a concave rear window that the Chevelle didn't have.

Edited by John Goschke

Looking good Bill. I keep my eyes on this build becouse i have one resin kit also waiting there. :)

How u suggest to fix trim lines on body sides. There is tiny air bubles on them. Should i just fil them with putty or something and sand them to right shape, or should i remove them and try make them from some half rounded evergreen? Car is Volvo Amazon.

Janne, I would try to fill them in with super glue or two part body putty and go from there. I don't know how skilled you are, but trying to attach styrene to resin can be difficult. You could end up losing some of the body contours trying to blend in the trim so that the super glue isn't showing where it was attached.

It's really up to you but if it were me, I'd being doing the first method I just described. :)

Two-door hardtop roof stampings for Chevelle, Tempest Lemans (including GTO), Olds F-85 Cutlass, and Buick Skylark were the same.

Hmmm........I always thought the '64-'67 roof sections on the Chevelle's were shorter and not as "stretched back" as the BOP versions. I could be wrong just as I was about to miss the rear window on my build! :)

I know the windshields and headers were the same as they all have those signature "curves" at the corners.

Wow, Bill, I love that H-channel brass for the vent window frames! Gotta get me some of that. Terrific work on the window patterns as well.

Thanks John!

If you click the link below, it'll take you to Special Shapes website. I'm fortunate that I live relatively nearby to a train shop located in Gettysburg that carries all of the Special Shapes products. I couldn't do half the fine detailing without 'em!

http://www.specialshapes.com/

Following Ron's advice and looking closely at pics on my hard disc...........I corrected the lower corners of the rear backlite.

Take a look.................

P8024219-vi.jpg

P8024220-vi.jpg

Some slight cleanup to even out the lower trim is in order..............the main part of getting those corners square is done however.

Interesting that AMT missed this detail in their annual kits. I suspect that while there were running prototypes of these cars back in late 1962 into '63, AMT got an early look-see to the cars as well as GM blueprints to start tooling up for promos and kits towards the end of '63 when these cars were intro'd.

It could have been that those rounded corners were there, but GM changed the design at the 11th hour after the tooling by AMT was done. It does change the character of the roofline, but still looks good to me. B)

More to come..................