Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 `65 Mustang Cobra

Hawk312

I`m back after taking a long break from any serious building. And because I am apparently a glutton for punishment, I decided to go ahead and build this one. This is a really rough mold for sure. It is very toy-like, and every body part is requiring heavy sanding to get them to line up. I am making alot of modification to the body to try to get something that resembles a fastback Mustang. What you see here is already at least 10 hours of grinding, sanding, reshaping, and filling. This will likely take a couple months to complete:

body3.jpg

body2.jpg

body1.jpg

I recall how reticent you were about this kit and the research you did looking into it. Having seen your prior builds, I know this will be the best ever done, and worthy of another Model Cars Magazine cover story for you.

Edited by sjordan2

OUCH! I feel for ya Mitch, been there, done that except with 4 speeds. I'll bet it'll be alot easier & cheaper to put the model together than the real thing. Although probably not as much fun, can't drive the model.

Marty

This is the Revell kit, the Road and Track `65 Shelby. I think it came out in the `80s. The body is really rough. The customer is asking for Wimbeldon White with blue stripes, so that is what it will be.

What do you guys think of the roof line/door window lines? It is tempting to go at them with a razor saw.

This is the Revell kit, the Road and Track `65 Shelby. I think it came out in the `80s. The body is really rough. The customer is asking for Wimbeldon White with blue stripes, so that is what it will be.

What do you guys think of the roof line/door window lines? It is tempting to go at them with a razor saw.

Wimbledon white with Guards blue stripes is a good choice for a '65...and the only one they offered.

I hate to say it, but you're maybe better off leaving the body proportions as-is(unless your client wants it changed). Revell really screwed the pooch on that model, and the 'squashed' roofline was the proof they botched it. I bought one from when it first came out, and was so disgusted by it that I packed it away until I finally sold it on Ebay a year ago.

A lot of large scale models suffer from warp when being pulled from the molds,or maybe it's just poor mold design,and bad packaging & storage don't help either. I wasn't aware of any accuracy issues with this kit(Ihave a started one on the ever-larger build pile).I seem to remember some review where it actually was praised.Was this originally a Renwal kit?

The roofline is definitely squashed on this one.............and NOT due to packaging or warp. :wacko: If I were building if for myself, yeah I'd take a saw and exacto blade and fix that roofline in a minute!

If however I were building for someone else, I'd ask how they'd want it. Of course, the price would go up accordingly...........looks to be a lot of work due to the complex shape of that fastback.

This thing is fighting me for sure, but I am keeping my head together and not losing it. ;) Though it is tempting.... :D

I am pretty sure I am going to have to leave the roof line alone after looking this over. All the window trim is molded as separate pieces, even around the side windows. And any minor modification to one part, let`s say the door window openings, will only exaggerate the inaccuracies elsewhere. I think major hacking is going to be outside of the scope of this project.

I did make some progress on the rear fenders and the coves on the sides. Some minor tweaking is needed to get it perfect. High-build primer is going to be my friend on this project. :D

body3a.jpg

body4.jpg

The comment about warping and packaging is meant as a generalization about large scale model cars.While there does appear to be a real gaffe here by Revell on that roofline,you have to ask yourself "if this model were built by a reasonably competent modeler with no accuracy corrections, would it be mistaken for anything but a Mustang"?

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I think I am finally at a decent point with this body. I am sooooo looking forward to doing something other than body work on this thing. So far, about 2 cans of high build primer spent on this thing, which should give you an idea of how horrible this body is. I am actually blocking this one!

body8.jpg

body9.jpg

• 4 months later...

So guys,I am soon about to wrap this up after only 5 months. This thing has fought me tooth and nail the entire time, and I can`t wait to get it off my bench. There were no serious fitment issues, as long as you don`t mind a boxy, inaccurate, undetailed finished product. But there was no way I could leave it this way, and it has gone under a lot of modification. Many, many things were changed.

Here are some preview pics. Hopefully I will get some good sun and get better pics and start a real completed thread.

done1.jpg

done2.jpg

done3.jpg

engine1.jpg

engine2.jpg

Edited by Hawk312