Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 impala SS "Bubbles"

wgflatliner

Hello everybody.

I'm building up a revell 62 impala, and it'll be another lowrider. and i will try my best to make it my last for a while hehe

On this model, i will be painting the center of the hood boyd's blue pearl, faded to black edges, and water bubble effects. This will also be on the trunk to continue that theme. There will be multiple pearl colors involved, all from the boyd line. Everything but the base coat will be airbrushed, which is also a first for me.

For the roof i'm going to attempt to make it look like fish scales. I have a plan of attack for that.

seam lines taken care of and primered.

DSC03057.jpg

testor's one-shot diamond dust base coat

DSC03058.jpg

started masking the hood and painting it, and got the bubbles going. it's in the dehydrator now, and i will have to concoct some ideas on how i want to integrate other colors into the hood.

DSC03059.jpg

DSC03060.jpg

shadowed the edges

DSC03061.jpg

small update.

Finished the whole bubbles section, and started the basic color idea on the roof.

DSC03065.jpg

DSC03068.jpg

DSC03075.jpg

DSC03072.jpg

what's cool is that for the roof, under certain light the blue will shine through the dusting of black, so it gives it a nice little trick effect. almost like it flip flops from black to blue.

thanks shucky!

to make the bubbles, here's the step by step:

1. spray your colors, let them cure with the final result you want it (shaded, solid, highlighted, etc)

2. once the paint is cured you get a squirt bottle and set it to fine mist. spray the mist of water over the area you want the bubbles, and spray until you get desired bubble size (the size of the water drops dictates size of bubble)

3. before the water evaporates you airbrush a darker color on one side of the bubbles (if it's a light color, black will be too dark for shades)

4. spin the piece around and airbrush the other side of the bubbles a lighter color.

5. place under a heat lamp or let the water dry naturally, your choice.

6. once the water is fully evaporated you will see your bubbles. to make sure they don't rub off, throw on a light coat of clear.

7. You will probably have a little discoloration of the colors from spraying the bubbles. to fix that, get the original color and lightly dust over the affected areas until it's the correct color, being careful not to paint too heavy. if you paint too heavy the bubbles will disappear.

the best part about it is if you get a water drop too big you can get a q-tip and soak up excess.

Looks like you alreay HAVE the skills to me!! I dig it a lot! Keep on going with it! :D

haha, thanks!

well, my ultimate goal is to be a competitor in a paint-off, and actually be considered competition. i learn things quickly, and look forward to learning more.

Did some more masking, and such. i did the border of the bubble with some black fade kinda effect, then sprayed a light coat of Dusty Rose over it. Once cured, i masked off some small pinstripes along the side body lines and the fender/hood/trunk areas. Once that was masked, i then followed up with a darker coat of dusty rose for the top side, and black over the side body lines..

i will need to fade the sides a little better to give it a cleaner look. I had to take all the tape off, just to get it in the dehydrator because if you leave the tape on, it'll leave residue in the paint.

DSC03077.jpg

DSC03078.jpg

this is near the rear pillar. the front of the inner pin stripe loops around to match the curve of the A-pillar.

DSC03082.jpg

this is after i got all the masking tape off.. upper view. there's going to be a more fluid transition from the lighter Dusty Rose to the darker, and it will tie into the car nicely.

DSC03087.jpg

and a side shot. i will fade black into the stripes from the front and back, so most of the center of the pinstripes will be visible.

DSC03089.jpg

more updates will come as i progress.