Model Cars Magazine Forum

where would you like a hobby shop located?

Location Poll  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Where is your prefferd Hobby Shop Location

• In a mall / strip mall
    • stand alone store
    • doesn't matter will go anywhere

A co-worker and I both thing an old car dealership would makje an awesome location for an all round shop.

The Volo Auto Museum here in northern Illinois used to have a huge hobby shop.

Sales sucked. It closed. (the hobby shop, not the auto museum).

BTW, several years ago, I saw Model Cars Magazine in that hobby shop for the first time! That was maybe 10 years ago.

Not to be a jerk (okay, I'm being a jerk), but this is one of those idle questions that has no application to the real world and wastes time and energy on this board. Of course, I know that I don't have to follow this, but this board is very important to me.

Harry- you do realize that I would consider the "Doesn't matter, I'll go anywhere" choice to include online vendors, right? Not sure if Darin would agree, but that's how I feel!

I don't think that Darin was including online hobby shops. Not as far as this poll, at least.

Don't really care, one of my favorite shops is in the basement of a hardware store, another is in a strip mall and my nearest is standalone (actually an old movie theater).

I would think a strip mall is probably best overall though if the other stores are of a type that would invite walk in traffic (like a pizza place where people might come down to take a look while waiting for their food, or a sewing shop where guys might sneak off while their wife buys sewing stuff).

Not to be a jerk (okay, I'm being a jerk), but this is one of those idle questions that has no application to the real world and wastes time and energy on this board. Of course, I know that I don't have to follow this, but this board is very important to me.

C'mon dude, this is exactly the kind of stuff to discuss in this section of the forum. It''s no diffrent than alot of the questions asked here. It's what makes it fun and personal.

That would be cool pretty awesome idea...

That's what we figured, use the sales floor, parts store room, and office for obvious stuff, then there's plenty of parking up front, lots of room for parking lot racing along the side or out back, you could use the shop area as an indoor racetrack, indoor flying area, and/or if there are cubical dividers left, an airsoft shooting gallery too! If they have individual mini offices, knock out a few walls and make them larger rooms for parties, club meetings, classrooms, ect.

i am perfectly situated

there is one less then 5 minutes from my house that carries nothing but the basics...perfect for when i run out of styrene in the middle of a build

then there is a great model shop about 45 minutes from here that carries everything i could ever want

perfect for when i have some money to spend and far enough where its no temptation when i dont have the moneys B)

The Volo Auto Museum here in northern Illinois used to have a huge hobby shop.

Sales sucked. It closed. (the hobby shop, not the auto museum).

BTW, several years ago, I saw Model Cars Magazine in that hobby shop for the first time! That was maybe 10 years ago.

The HUGE hobby shop at the Volo Auto Museum did not close because of poor sales Harry as I knew the owner and I also know the present owner of the hobby shop at the Volo Auto Museum. I could go into detail as to why the huge hobby shop had closed, but it's nobodys business.

we need more in Va.....anywhere.....i have one 30 min away but it doesnt even carry good kits!! just baseball cards! and one 3 hours away that i cant go to often

YES. DEFINTIELY. NEED MORE HERE......

Richmond only has three stores, and two of them are the Hobbytown USA franchises. Need more here!

What part of Virginia are you from? I'm thinking past Charlottesville and towards Roanoke.

That's what we figured, use the sales floor, parts store room, and office for obvious stuff, then there's plenty of parking up front, lots of room for parking lot racing along the side or out back, you could use the shop area as an indoor racetrack, indoor flying area, and/or if there are cubical dividers left, an airsoft shooting gallery too! If they have individual mini offices, knock out a few walls and make them larger rooms for parties, club meetings, classrooms, ect.

Older warehouses make great hobby shops for the same reason. Near where I live their is a warehouse that used to be a skatepark. It's got a modern front store area with offices and a 15,000 sq. ft. warehouse behind it along with two additional warehouse rooms one 500 Sq ft. and one 1,150 sq ft. 2 bathrooms one up front for the store area and one dedicated to the warehouse. The place even has a 3 bedroom apartment upstairs with a dedicated entrance. It's an all in one for someone wanting something like a RC track or skatepark. I have been wanting to buy it ever since the skatepark moved out but the city is also trying to buy it so they can level it and make a parking lot. It's an awesome looking building to 1920's architecture on the outside but completely modern on the inside.