Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Classics

imatt88

I received the Cord today!  It's still sealed, so not opening it.  This will be Project #89.

Was going to post a picture with the book, but have maxed out my space for pictures, and even deleted some, but error 200 keeps showing up.

20 hours ago, Mike999 said:

OK, I'm always happy to confuse things further...

Here's one of the most famous cane work cars, the Isotta-Fraschini Tipo 8A Transformable from the 1950 movie "Sunset Boulevard."  That looks like real cane work in the big photo below, since its flatter than the paint and appears to have highs and lows. 

One story says Paramount Pictures commissioned Coach Craft of Hollywood to "transform a 1927 Isotta-Fraschini with a dull 7-passenger limousine Willoughby body into this exotic Landaulette. Accoutrements include wicker caned tonneau, gold-plated hardware as well as genuine leopard skin upholstery."  OTOH, other sources say it's a 1929, and Billy Wilder, who directed the movie, just said they got the Isotta from a rental company. Coachcraft (one word) was the Hollywood customizing company founded by employees of Dutch Darrin.

In model form, the Heller 1/24 Hispano-Suiza K6 has cane work very similar to the Isotta.  It's done with decals.  One way to replicate real cane work might be with a very thin layer of epoxy putty, then use a 1/35 zimmerit making tool (or a razor saw) to create the patterns.  Getting it consistent would be a real nightmare.

Here's a link to the Coachbuild forum about Isottas.  There's one mention that "the cane work was removed during restoration" on an Isotta.

http://www.coachbuild.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=625

isotta.JPG

What I don't get is why cane bodywork to begin with?  What were they trying to convey?  Did wealthy folks want to ride around in linen closets?

4 hours ago, bbowser said:

What I don't get is why cane bodywork to begin with?  What were they trying to convey?  Did wealthy folks want to ride around in linen closets?

Like so many styling features, it's a throwback to the days when horsepower involved actual horses.   Some carriages had bodies that were actually made of wicker.

CAAwebsite-Haszelbart-2015.jpg?resize=67

It was lighter than a wooden body, but also resilient.  It was the 19th century's version of carbon fibre.

Early carmakers followed the practices of the carriage trade, so you had some with lightweight wicker bodies.

97hugot_histmtrtrcar.jpg

Some people just liked the look, but didn't want the hassles of actual cane, so you get the simulated cane like on the Isotta.  Sort of like the carbon fibre wraps you see now.

4 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Like so many styling features, it's a throwback to the days when horsepower involved actual horses.   Some carriages had bodies that were actually made of wicker.

It was lighter than a wooden body, but also resilient.  It was the 19th century's version of carbon fibre.

Early carmakers followed the practices of the carriage trade, so you had some with lightweight wicker bodies.

Some people just liked the look, but didn't want the hassles of actual cane, so you get the simulated cane like on the Isotta.  Sort of like the carbon fibre wraps you see now.

So basically the same idea as the fake woody "wood" paneling on station wagons in the 70s or PT cruisers in the 90s.

I too well remember Micarta brand plastic laminate in the mid 1970's offering a Cane " relief plastic laminate . Oh this stuff was nearly 1.50 a square foot and at the time , that was near TRIPLE what plastic laminate was costing me . I was the ONE manufacturer to offer the Brushed Silver aluminum to Chevrolet Silverado clients who wanted a console that matched their dash boards and the Ford Chateau Van  owners could also have drink holders made by my company that matched the dash boards too !!!

There was a long article about this process in The Classic Car, a publication of the CCCA. At the time a V-16 Fleetwood town car owned by Dick Kuhn (the owner of Lionel Trains) debuted at the Meadow Brook Concours, and it was a stunner. This was sometime in the mid 1990s. Well known Duesenberg expert Brian Joseph had someone working for him who was able to apply the canework. Later, another V 16 town car out of a well known collection in Missouri showed up at the same show but with two tone blue verticle stripping, about 6" wide.  Apparently the restorer of that one elected not to attempt the canework. I tried my hand at it with a Johan Cadillac Town Car and really made a mess of it.

• 1 month later...

When I first saw the posts about the cane exterior I envisioned a bamboo wall! Thanks for the pix, I now see it is more of a Rattan mat. One could easily replicate this using a decal or fabric  from doll house suppliers at your local craft store. For those of you who would like some leather decals for the interior, check out Uschi Van der Rosten

https://www.uschivdr.com/shopping-categories/shop-leather-decals/

They've also got some neat woodwork decals for Woodies  etc.

HTH

Keeper

2 hours ago, The Keeper said:

... For those of you who would like some leather decals for the interior, check out Uschi Van der Rosten

https://www.uschivdr.com/shopping-categories/shop-leather-decals/

They've also got some neat woodwork decals for Woodies  etc.

I see this is your first post, welcome to the party!  Good thing I'm not into WW1 airplane models, holy cow.  The leather decals is a great contribution, thank you.

Thanks Kurt! In keeping with the topic of this thread I'd like to show you what was done with the MPC Gangbusters at the IPMS Nats, Columbus 2015:

https://forum.ipmsusa3.org/topic/15576-gangbusters-at-the-2015-columbus-nationals/?tab=comments#comment-84012

Now that I've done that I see my photohosting site is down or defunct. I'll see if I can post a couple here, I can post the rest if there's any interest. Paul of Atlanta did an amazing job on these down to the cobblestone bases.

Cheers,

Keeper

DSC_3417.JPG

DSC_3419.JPG