Model Cars Magazine Forum

MCW or Scalefinishes?

I have never used scalefinishes, but MCW paint is great, and they are a great company to deal with. Like others said, it all comes down to prep, and application.

I followed the directions to the letter, then polished the paint, and got a darn good finish, it passes the light bulb test

IMGP1951-vi.jpg

I am deciding whether to use either Scalefinishes or MCW paint on my 250 GTO. I have no idea which paint works better, so I could use help deciding.

Edited by kurth

I read on MCW's website that Dave is looking for a buyer for the paint side of his business??!! I hope I read that wrong coz I love his paint!! I also don't want to start any cruddy rumors either. I swear I read that tho.

Any paint works only as good as it's preparation and application. Experiment and practice.

I agree 100% with this statement. I've never tried MCW paints but I know of many that have and love them. I've used Scalefinishes paints pretty much since they were introduced and I like them a lot. B)

Resin is about the sturdiest material (besides metal) that you can paint on. Resin doesn't require the use of certain primers in order to use almost any type of paints. Just do the proper cleaning & prep work and you should be good to go. Either of the two paints discussed above are excellent for resin.

I have used both MCW's and Scale Finishes' paints. Scale Finishes is far superior. I've had issues with MCW's paint literally peeling off the car some years later. Also Scale Finishes will try to do anything to help find the right color for the customer.

They both make acrylic lacquer and enamels paints depending on the colors being asked for. In my personal opinion the Scale Finishes paints lay down much nicer than the MCW's paints. On top of that it is much easier to order from Scale Finishes than from MCW.

I have used both MCW's and Scale Finishes' paints. Scale Finishes is far superior. I've had issues with MCW's paint literally peeling off the car some years later. Also Scale Finishes will try to do anything to help find the right color for the customer.

They both make acrylic lacquer and enamels paints depending on the colors being asked for. In my personal opinion the Scale Finishes paints lay down much nicer than the MCW's paints. On top of that it is much easier to order from Scale Finishes than from MCW.

I agree 100%. Plus Jameston doesn't charge an arm and a leg for shipping or for special order colors.

Also Scale Finishes will try to do anything to help find the right color for the customer.

On top of that it is much easier to order from Scale Finishes than from MCW.

I've had just the opposite experience with MCW. Their effort fell well short of doing anything to help find the right color - even after I inquired by phone and was assured I was ordering the right color it wasn't even close.

I agree 100% that Scale Finishes is easier to order from.

Edited by Steve Keck

I have never used Scalefinishes , I am sure they have a fine product. I have used MCW a lot though and am familiar with it. In the begining I had some issues with it laying down smooth. Yet after I worked with it for a while, I began to find the process that worked well for me. That was to add a small amount of slower evaporating thinner after my initial fog coat. Bottom line, experiment with which ever one you try and find what works for you.

I don't think there's anyone in the business any easier to work with and more concerned about making the customer happy than Jameston.

Besides, ScaleFinishes is a vendor and sponsor of Desert Scale Classic (April 21, 2012, Phoenix). That counts in my book!

B)

• 2 weeks later...

I had used both, the MCW for the first time in 1997 and the Scalefinishes in 2009, to me Scalefinishes for the looooooong mile if far better than MCW. I feel the MCW to delicate, but, have also a good selection of colors. Although I haven't use, I know Hiroboy's colors is the other collection to look in too.

Simón P. Rivera Torres