Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 Roadrunner kit in high demand?

Is it just me or is the Revell 70 Roadrunner kit in high demand?, I ask this because I have been trying to get my hands on one for the last month on evilbay and I always kept losing out on it.

I was able to get one today , but every kit I bid on, it turned into a bidding war, or is this just normal for OOP kits?

Edited by martinfan5

I am starting to think that the sellers are doing bid rigging or whatever its called, thats why I have stayed away from bidding and just stick to buy it now listing only's. But sometimes the only way is to bid.

It's called "schill" bidding,Ebay is Notorious for it!!! Thats why I'll go without when it comes to Ebay,Feebay...Whatever!! Good luck!!

I know a lot of people frown on it calling it "sniping", but that shill bidding nonsense is why I don't bid on things until the last few hours (not minutes) of any listing. But then I treat eBay like a regular live auction. I'm not going to be the first one to bid, and I have a predetermined amount I'm willing to bid. If someone wants it more than me, so be it. eBay is not the same place as it used to be 10 years ago, but it's still pretty much the only place to go for some OOP kits, unless you want to haunt shows & swap meets hoping someone finally has decided to start liquidating parts of their collection.

Edited by niteowl7710

In high demand from me thats for sure. Impossible to get down here :(. Speaking of being sniped , twice in the last 2 weeks on the very same kit , a johan pinto funny car. 1st buyer didnt pay for it so it got relisted, I bid the first day it came back on and was sniped in the last few cause I was doing the dishes grrr

I always watch the item before I bid, Like I said I don't often bid on items, but sometimes if really want something then that's what you have to do. The one I just picked up on ebay, the seller had a best offer, so we played the offer game and well I did as a buy it now.

Thanks for the info on the swap meet, I will be there, I knew there was on next month but I couldn't find out where it was.

price on these yard sale items?

yes

Sniping at a standard auction is the only way to get items at manageable prices and is the only way I bid, if I have the time to be there at the end, which is not too often. An early bid is an out-bid. Why give people the time to convince themselves to go higher than they'd planned and allow them to jack up your bid to the limit?

Personally, I'd love to see a site where the auctions last just ten seconds. All interested parties show what they're willing to spend and that's it. No drama, no hard feelings, no regrets.

Best offer auctions work too though. Those folks usually seem reasonable.

I have to agree with the best offer listings, I've gotten many good deals that way. Sold a lot of stuff that way too. Most successful way to win an auction on ebay is to watch it, predict when it will end (based on the time it was listed vs the time remaining - I get it to the minute), and if you really, really want it, stay up late or get up early if you can, and bid your maximum amount within the last 10 seconds of the auction. Little tip, don't bid an even dollar amount either. If you're willing to bid say $15.00 for a kit, make it $15.06, $15.16 or $15.26. You would be surprised at the # of people who win an auction by bidding that extra nickel, dime, or quarter thinking that they won't get outbid. Bid that extra penny and you will probably be the winner ;)

I as well only bid at the last few seconds.it works well for me.I don't get everything I bid on but its ok.most of the time there will be another one to bid.never get your heart set on anything.I don't to much plan what I'm going to bid.I look at the endind only now listings and bid on things I want or stuff that no one seems to want then at the last 10 to 15 seconds I put in the bid.if I get it...great if I don't...it wasn't for me.thats how I do it.I use ebay as a last resort to get what I want.I try everything else first.Thanks,Chris

There is a model swap meet coming up Saturday October 8th at the Postal hall on Greenway and about 43rd Ave in Phoenix someone there will probably have ten of them.

Thats great to hear they are gonna do another model swap meet on the 8th. do you know what time it startes?? I may just have to drive out there to see what people have. I know that Brad (Gasser59) told me about one he went to a couple months back or so. I will have to see if Brad is going to be going and maybe bring my finny car to show him.

I am one that gets kits from time to time off ebay. sometimes its the only way I am able to get something that I am looking for that isn't in production anymore.

Do you mean the Superbird or just the plain ol' Roadrunner? The Superbird is out now- any hobby shop should be able to order it for you. The standard Roadrunner has been out of production for a few years. If that is the one, I'd try Dean's Hobby Stop or Spotlight Hobbies- they stock all kinds of OOP kits, and I'd be more suprised if neither of them had it than if they did.

Yes I am talking about the one that is OOP, like I said I had been trying to get one for the last month/ month and a half and it has been a really hard kit to get, and when they show up on evilbay, its seems like people are fighting for them.

Thats why i am asking if that kit is in high demand

Alright, thanks for the clarification. B)

Not sure if its in demand- but being that it's OOP and a Mopar muscle car subject, I'd assume there's a pretty good audience for it. Like I said- I'd avoid eBay and check the old kit vendors- you might pay a little more, but there won't be any 'bidding wars' going on.

Jonathan, Chris ~

The swap meet is Saturday, October 8, 2011 at the Postal Workers Social Hall, 3720 W. Greenway Road, Phoenix; opens to the public at 8:30 am and runs until 1:30 pm. Admission is $3. Forty tables of vendors ~ kits, supplies, parts, cars & aircraft & armor + who knows what else. Refreshments on site (burgers, dogs, fries, onion rings, doughnuts, candy, drinks).

Maybe Gabe will bring his two kits, but I believe there will be others available because I've always seen at least two or three vendors with them ... and reasonably priced ($9 to $10 range), too! Uhhh ... in fact ... I have one and I'll be selling it at the swap meet! :)

You should check it out. There will be a bunch of members of Moonlight Modelers and Cactus Car Modelers clubs there, including myself. Look us up and introduce yourselves!!

Jonathan, Chris ~

The swap meet is Saturday, October 8, 2011 at the Postal Workers Social Hall, 3720 W. Greenway Road, Phoenix; opens to the public at 8:30 am and runs until 1:30 pm. Admission is $3. Forty tables of vendors ~ kits, supplies, parts, cars & aircraft & armor + who knows what else. Refreshments on site (burgers, dogs, fries, onion rings, doughnuts, candy, drinks).

Maybe Gabe will bring his two kits, but I believe there will be others available because I've always seen at least two or three vendors with them ... and reasonably priced ($9 to $10 range), too! Uhhh ... in fact ... I have one and I'll be selling it at the swap meet! :)

You should check it out. There will be a bunch of members of Moonlight Modelers and Cactus Car Modelers clubs there, including myself. Look us up and introduce yourselves!!

Danno.... thanks for the info buddy. I am planning on being there to see what people are selling. I am looking for a few things ;)

Thats great to hear they are gonna do another model swap meet on the 8th. do you know what time it startes?? I may just have to drive out there to see what people have. I know that Brad (Gasser59) told me about one he went to a couple months back or so. I will have to see if Brad is going to be going and maybe bring my finny car to show him.

I am one that gets kits from time to time off ebay. sometimes its the only way I am able to get something that I am looking for that isn't in production anymore.

Chris I beleive it starts about 8:30 till 1:30