Model Cars Magazine Forum

TOP FIVE REASONS WHY YOU ATTEND MODEL CAR SHOWS

Well I guess it is because I love this hobby and want to support it.

1.I want to support this hobby...I love it!!

2.see old friends and catch up on what they are doing.

3.see what is in the contest hall.

4.see what is in the vendors area....buying stuff I hope to use.

5.looking around the city with my sweetie,she alway goes to...I love that as well.

Those are my reasons,Thank you,Chris

1. Six to ten hour flight (minimum)

2. Two hour waits at airports (If lucky)

3. Half hour waits for luggage (you guys seen what I travel with to shows?)

4. Two hour drive to show/hotel (heh, I'm used to driving on an island, sue me...)

5. Hour check-in (no, they don't have my presidential suite ready...)

6. Beds with bed bugs (Ask Jairus about that one!!!!)

7. Eight hours of pure physical pain (yeah, I got meds, so what? You guys can drink!!!)

8. Repeat process to get home, usually 1.5 times longer.

Is it worth it?

DARN RIGHT!!!!

Every single time.

And the list doesn't even include the cost, easily $2k per show, my pocket really loves that part!!!!

I love it when I would go and no matter where it was, I felt like I was with friends, a lot of times I would stay at local houses, which sure beats the bed bug issue.

And, the fact that at wherever show I would be at, I had a ton of people at the photo booth or table talking story all day long, creating quite a stir I may add, shows you that you guys enjoy having me there as much as I enjoy being there.

I always felt welcomed, and that's the biggest thing I miss now, not being able to go to shows anymore.

The last one was GSL, and Kelly came along more as my nurse than anything else. She had so much fun there too, and she was amazed at how many people would come up to her and tell her some great stories about previous shows. She never really got to see that side of the mag and what I have been doing over the past 12 years.

I really miss going to shows, and hopefully soon, I will be "back" on my feet... or maybe get an extra set of wheels under me and run over some toes!!!!!

Let me see here, 5 reasons huh. Well here goes.

1. To get away from the better half for awhile.

2. Take a nice slow cruse to where ever the show is. Tying up traffic as I go.

3. Gawking at all the models at the show. Also looking at the little cars and trucks.

4. Eating food, either bad or good. It doesn't matter.

5. Take a nice slow cruse back home with or without something I bought at the show. Also tying up traffic going back.

Just kiddin guys.

1. Lookin at the great models at the show.

2. Meeting new friends and saying hi to the old ones.

3. Selling stuff at the vender tables.

4. Enjoying the trip to the show.

5. Talking about the different ways that others build.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :);):) Dan

Thanks for the info but the IPMS Switzerland is very much for military modelers. I do check out what's going on occasionally but I still claim there are no model CAR shows here. (But there are some really good shows and historic race meetings for real cars).

OK, maybe IPMS is indeed targeted too much to people who think wars are beautiful and don't last long enough.

In Europe, model car shows are often tied in with real car shows, or rather 'meetings'. There are enough car crazy folks in Switzerland. Maybe it would be worth trying to contact custom car and hot rod clubs?

Here is a list of some clubs in Switzerland:

http://www.uscc.ch/de/index.php?file=links.php&titel=Clubs%20in%20der%20Schweiz&adv=norm&teilerg=ch

My main reason for attending model contests/shows are -

1. To simply admire my comrades handy work - auto, military, sci-fi it doesn't matter!

2. Meet people in person that you otherwise see via magazines, keyboards, or computers on forums

3. Sharing tips techniques and just having a good time.

4. Vendors

5. See #1 and #2

Edited by Mike

My main reason for attending model contests/shows are -

1. To simply admire my comrades handy work - auto, military, sci-fi it doesn't matter!

2. Meet people in person that you otherwise see via magazines, keyboards, or computers on forums

3. Sharing tips techniques and just having a good time.

4. Vendors

5. See #1 and #2

True!

The one show I like to try to make it to each year is the NNL East. It is about an 8 hour drive from Toronto. I have a great friend that I am fortunate enough to go with. He puts up with the extremely immature personna that seems to overcome me on road trips. We are kind of like frick and frack together. He likes Big Band music, where I like jazz (Pat Metheny). He is rational and I am... well you get the idea.

As for my top reasons:

1. Definitely road trip is first.

2. Getting to hang out with Bob Dude and friends again!

3. Cheeseburger Paradise.

4. Empire Diner for an an incredible breakfast to jump start morning of NNL.

5. Longhorn or other steak house, where a whole bunch of crazies get together, after the day's events of the NNL.

Oh, I almost forgot, the NNL East. I wish I could afford to go every year, because everything about it makes it one of the most amazing experiences for a model car hobbyist!

Just got home from the MAGS show in Tampa and it was great! I was able to meet some wonderful people from this forum and made some new friends, too. We talked painting, detailing, etc. etc. all weekend long. What a great time!

I'd like to go on record here and say thank you to MAGS for a GREAT show.

And hey, Dr. Cranky - next year's theme is rusty, crusty, and dusty. You need to make it to Tampa. I took a pic of a car just for you and will get it posted in the next few days.

Edited by crazyjim