Model Cars Magazine Forum

62 Catalina

noname

I started my Catalina. It is one of the older kits from the 90's maybe? I plan on making a Super Stocker. Here is the finished engine. I roughed up a throttle linkageand spring with some bits of styrene and wire. Hard to see in the photos. I will have to redo the chrome aircleaners as the chrome gets damaged while removing from the sprue. Nothing new eh?

IMG_9274.jpg

IMG_9272.jpg

The chassis is all painted but need to be assembled and weathered a tad.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by noname

Thanks guys. I usually scratch fuel lines, which probably would have looked better, but it's not that often one is included in the kit so I went with it. I won't do much for weathering as this will be a car raced in 62-63. I will dust up the chassis a little for fun.

This kit is the one with the dark blue 1:1 picture on the box cover. It is one of those rare well detailed AMT kits. They were doing something right at that time. The frame is even separate, cool stuff.

I started it a few years ago and painted the body black. I had it polished and it had a nice shine. But, I stripped it because it looked a little thick. It was enamel paint which I hardly ever use. But like most cars they look so sharp in black. However,I am considering a different colour just to be different. All I know is that it will have nice glossy black steelies. Proper!

Yes, it is all about eye candy isn't it. That's why we all come here. Too bad I did't have a dedicated photo both for better pics.

Edited by noname

Engine looks great! Is that engine stand from AMT '66 T-Bird Customizing Kit? I have one too, but don't know surely where is it from. You mean there's hard to find reference pics of throttle linkages? I have at least one picture, and with that one I built "correct" linkage to my own '62 Catalina Super Stocker. Great idea with this project, and as I said, that engine looks amazing. Detailing is great!

Thanks guys. I have a couple of good pics of the throttle linkage. I'm glad you guys like it. I feel the one I scratch built isn't perfect but it looks better with the naked eye. I used styrene but thin metal or PE would have been better. The stand I believe is from that good old Amt 57 Chevy that everyone built as a kid.

Cruz, your Catalina is gorgeous. One of my favorites. What paints did you use for the interior?

I still have to muster up some decals from some where.

Well, the chassis is getting there. The rear suspension and exhaust is dome.

IMG_9299.jpg

It was neat that this kit included the dump tubes. But, I went ahead and made my own. Styrene and PE header fanges. They just have to be painted. I left them open because this car will be race ready. ;)

IMG_9302.jpg

Next up will be the front suspension. I want it to be slightly higher in the front. I have an idea for that. Just have to see if it will work.

I'd add brake lines but I haven't found a good reference pic.

Well, I did run into a snag. Those darn slicks don't fit in the wheelwell!

IMG_9315.jpg

Actually they just barely fit. The rear axle was a tad too long. I have it fixed now. I just sawed off the axle ends, took a small portion out and then glued it back together.

After a little mock up I decided I would like to see the rear wheel tucked up in the wheelwell more. To adjust this I simply cut a bit off the rear springs to lower it. Hopefully this will give it that slight up in the front look and I won't have to touch the front end.

Another little snag is that the wheel wasn't quite centred in the rear wheelwell for some reason. This is annoying. I'll play with it a bit more and see what I can do. Not the first kit I had this problem with I might add.

Edited by noname

IMG_2972.jpg

Any of you out there remember "HANK BORGER" ? He built this Poncho for me as a gift from a friend back in 2009

I don't remember Hank but I do remember the Pontiac. it was driven by Don Gay and i used to watch the real car race every Saturday night in Dickinson Texas.. He would race his brother Roy at the end of the night. Roy drove a B stock tempest Don 's Catalina was A stock.

I almost terminated this build. Once I had the wheels on the chassis I noticed the chassis was warped. Driver's side front tire was in the air. I remembered that the frame was a bit twisted when I painted it. I guess I thought maybe it would straighten out when the frame was glued to the floor. After several tries to get it right with hot water, I think I may have it licked. Just barely.

Here is how it will sit. After shortening the rear axle I still had to grind some styrene away from the inner fenders. It was soo much fun. <_<

Picture708.jpg