Model Cars Magazine Forum

Veterans Day

I'll be spending Veterans Day in Washington, DC at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial and don't know if I'll have access to a computer. Just in case, I wanted to say happy Veterans Day to all who have earned it. Brother and sister Veterans, WELCOME HOME.

STAND TALL, BE PROUD, NEVER FORGET.

I can't forget, I still see the faces of the Guys I lost in Nam! I was only 21 and responsible for my 12 man team and the team of an Army Lt. that I was ordered to baby set. I lost 22 of those kids on a hill that had to be held to keep the NVA from seting up artillery on it. There were only 244 men total to stop 30,000 NVA, only 51 men came down off that hill, but we held it for 48 days. They said we caused the NVA thousands of casualties. Well that has never helped, I'm still haunted by those 22 faces, and I always will be.

The News said we lost the Battle, but when it was over the VC nolonger existed, and the NVA had lost over 2/3rds of it's troops. We came home to people calling us murderers and worse.

I pray that the men serving today will be treated like the patriots they are and that the Country will Honour Them as they deserve to be for their Service to their Country and Democracy!

No Man Left Behind!

Tom

Jim: Give the wall a salute for me! I've not been there yet. Will make it one day. I have seen the traveling wall. It was very very hard to see it! It was a rainy NOV night about 11:30 PM. I was all alone and crying like a baby. I felt an arm go around my should. Then I heard the words "Welcome Home Brother". I'm in tears now typing this. I'll be attending a Veteran's ceremony at my grandaughters elementary school. It's very touching! Have a happy and safe Veterans day to all who have served and are currently serving! And never forget the brothers we have lost! Aaron Dupont USPS/USN RET

Not sure if "Happy" is the right adjective for Veterans Day as Tom's memories are far from that. I will say that I do appreciate all of our military men and women for defending our freedom and helping those in other countries fight for their freedom. I wasn't able to attend this year's parade here in Charlotte as I was attending an college orientation session for my son who was marching in the parade with his JROTC class. He is looking to attend college on a MCROTC scholarship and then a career in the Corps.

I grew up watching the Vietnam war on TV at dinner time and knew of older sibling's friends dying in the war and seeing how it affected them. It was a travesty the way the soldiers were treated back then and am glad to see today's soldiers being honored as they should. There is a funeral here in the Charlotte area this week for an Army Sgt. and the press coverage has been positive and the Patriot Guard has been there to help the family.

With my son looking to enter the military I hope and pray that we do not have to go through what many families before us have had to but take solace in knowing that it is what my son is choosing to do and I am at peace with that.

May God bless our military every day and bring them home safely.

Thank you again all past, present and future soldiers.

As a Nam vet my self 1968 and 1969 1st Air Cav Division, I salute all the Veterans . I have never been able to get through the wall in DC it is a very hard thing to do as I have friends names on there , And I agree we wasnt treated very well back them when we came home . And like my Dad who was a WW 2 vet he never talked about it it took me till 1999 to start talking about being over there . God Bless all our Veterans

Edited by Madd Trucker

As a Vet from across the pond, I've had the honour of working alongside the US Forces in theatres of conflict around the world, Gulf 1, Somalia, Sierra Leone, Bosnia to name a few, I made and lost many friends and I too will never forget their faces, nor would I ever want to, I try to remember them happy and not after, but a lot of the time I can't...

Lest we NEVER forget them that gave their lives, past, present & unfortunately future Brothers and Sisters, both living and dead...

Andy...

as a non vet that understands what our boys and girls are going through all the time. THANK YOU ! ... without you guys fighting to keep AMERICA free where would i be today...??? my father served in the air force and got out in 76' (i think...i know he talks about how he had his tools since in the service when he got out in that year). My grandfather served in korea in 51' (army) and for those who say im lying... HE'S GOT THE PURPLE HEART TO PROVE IT!

AGAIN THANK YOU!

I RESPECT EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU VETS OF THE PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE!

"CARRY ON" ~ R. LEE EMERY A.K.A "THE GUNNY"

Edited by bandit1

Happy Veteran's Day to all my brothers, and Happy Birthday Marines.

Semper Fidelis

MOS 0331 or 1369 because, well that's what I felt like.

USMC 1974-1978

USMCR 1979-1989

RVN -75

Lebanon-76

Grenada-83

Panama-89

G

Edited by Agent G

A big thank you to all my fellow vets and the families of said vet.

"All gave some, some gave all."

Rob Mattis

U.S. Coast Guard , 2nd class petty officer 1992-2001

Cutters Durable and Northland

Florida Air National Guard, staff sergeant 2002-2006

125th Fighter Air Wing

I'm not going to say happy veterans day ,but I will say have a good day to all my brothers. The reason being if you are a vet some things you don't want to remember but will never forget,second if your not avet take time to say thanks and honor the veterans.My father was a WW2 vet,my brother is a marine corp vet,Viet Nam '67-'69,and I am a Desert storm vet.

To all my brothers before me and to all who will come after me,HAVE A GOOD ONE .

Retired SGT E5 Timothy L Cassady Combat Engineer 1987 -2001 Red Castles forever HOO_AHH

Edited by timc

The thing I found when I visited the Wall in 2008 was that despite not being a vet, it was still very moving to see it and what it represents. There were many grown men and women scanning the wall and then breaking down in tears after finding their loved ones' names on the wall, something that moved me to tears just watching.

My oldest brother served stateside during Vietnam but the friends he lost were numerous and he has a hard time going to the wall when he visits his son in DC as he feels a lot of pain seeing all of those names.

Again, my heartfelt thanks to all past, present and future veterans.

The thing I found when I visited the Wall in 2008 was that despite not being a vet, it was still very moving to see it and what it represents. There were many grown men and women scanning the wall and then breaking down in tears after finding their loved ones' names on the wall, something that moved me to tears just watching.

My oldest brother served stateside during Vietnam but the friends he lost were numerous and he has a hard time going to the wall when he visits his son in DC as he feels a lot of pain seeing all of those names.

Again, my heartfelt thanks to all past, present and future veterans.

and im sure you get tear jerked up a bit when you hear this song as well?

Edited by bandit1

As a Nam vet my self 1968 and 1969 1st Air Cav Division, I salute all the Veterans . I have never been able to get through the wall in DC it is a very hard thing to do as I have friends names on there , And I agree we wasnt treated very well back them when we came home . And like my Dad who was a WW 2 vet he never talked about it it took me till 1999 to start talking about being over there . God Bless all our Veterans

I went to the Wall But I couldn't Read the Names, it was just too painful for me.

Tom