Model Cars Magazine Forum

how many camaros, corvettes and t-birds do we have to look at?

well right there you've pretty much confirmed that the car was NOT built by Ford then and very well was probably a "conversion" of a 3.8 SC to a 5.0

I have no idea who built it. Could have been Ford Belgium, a third party contractor, whatever. They were listed in the BeNeLux sales brochures though and mine was not the only one.

Ford sold the Lincoln Mk VII with the BMW Turbodiesel in the US briefly. Again, though, were those Thunderbirds in Germany sold through Ford dealers there or gray market imports?

AFAIK they were shipped without engines from America to Steyr-Puch in Graz, Austria, where they received their BMW engines. They were then sold through the German Ford dealership network.

Edited by Junkman

Like I posted earlier, on automobile-catalog.com, which lists all models produced including models for export listed by country, there is no 1991 T-Bird SC 5.0L listed... not as an American car or for export to other countries.

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/

That site seems about as reliable as Wikipedia....especially when the guy is asking for photos of "rare models or editions" ....just sayin'...

The car obviously got there somehow and I doubt it was the only one or was it? Maybe Christian did have a one of kind car! No one here can disprove it,but hopefully Christian can prove it and put it to rest.

That site seems about as reliable as Wikipedia....especially when the guy is asking for photos of "rare models or editions" ....just sayin'...

The car obviously got there somehow and I doubt it was the only one or was it? Maybe Christian did have a one of kind car! No one here can disprove it,but hopefully Christian can prove it and put it to rest.

It wasn't the only one. I had the choice between three different colours at the time and could have ordered it in others. I also know people who bought them, too. Who knows whether it was not a similar scheme as the BMW powered T'birds earlier - the cars were shipped engine-less and received their engines in Europe.

It wasn't the only one. I had the choice between three different colours at the time and could have ordered it in others. I also know people who bought them, too. Who knows whether it was not a similar scheme as the BMW powered T'birds earlier - the cars were shipped engine-less and received their engines in Europe.

I wonder how many of those T-Birds are still on the road in Europe. I recall a couple of the more unsusal car sightings I saw in the UK on one trip back in 2001 was a stock '95-97 Town Car and a stock '91-93 Mustang GT, the Town Car in a parking lot in Dover and the Mustang in London (Bloomsbury), both w/ UK number plates and LHD. Strangest sight in Europe may have been the stock '80s vintage Ford F250 pickup I saw in Florence, Italy in '04.

unless Michigan swapped in 351W's there were no Ford build Mustangs or SSP package cars with those engines. all SSP coupes were 5.0 powered. i seriously doubt Michigan would have done such a swap as well, it's just not something a state maintenance department would have done.

Ya know, I'm not the type of guy that would call someone a liar....nor would I want any one to call me one either.

My Dad worked at Ford/Rouge Plant in Dearborn for 35 years and in the same complex was the Mustang/Cougar assembly line....OH YEAH there were some 5.8 Mustangs that came out of there ( I saw them). In 1993 I tried to order a brand new Mustang Cobra from Riverside Ford on Jefferson Ave. downtown Detroit-That was the number one "Ford Motor Sport" dealer in south/east Michigan at the time-the sales man said to me "They will not sell any 5.8 Mustangs to the general public" that it was a special police package only.

On a side note: I was on my way home from work one day in my '90 -5.0 and a brand new '92 or '93 Ford Ranger with Manuafacturers plates on it rolled up on me and spanked my Mustangs bottom !! After a few rounds of "getting it handed to me" we pulled into a gas station to talk-THAT brand new Ranger had a 5.8 and a 5spd. in it---Now I hardly doubt they sold any of them to the public either ? That guy worked at Ford Mo. Co. -Research and Development off of Southfield Rd. and Rotunda if you want to check.

This is public info. here too- There were alot of Mustangs around that time, that rolled out of Dearborn with out any V.I.N #s at all-it was some kind of crime ring that some of the upper management came up with- until one of those guys tried to insure one that had a salvaged V.I.N. from another Mustang they had already totaled and paid off on-BUSTED !! But I've heard that had gone on for years before they got caught.

He's asking for photos to add to the archives. Why does that say "unreliable" to you???

I don't see how you can just look at the site and come to the conclusion that it's unreliable. Based on what???

Anyway, I don't claim to vouch for the site or its accuracy, I just posted the link... you all are free to believe whatever you want.

Gotta agree about the being no Factory 351W Mustangs in the Fox run. If they existed the only sources for a 351W swap into a Mustang oil pan wouldn't be Crown Vics or the aftermarket. And those 351W CVs aren't a dime a dozen either... I know I hunted dor one before giving up and ordering an aftermarket oil pan.

And since I have a feeling that a 'prove you own it' is coming................

P3170136.jpg, This car is an early-84 production car, with every option available at the time (included was the customer-requested/Cars and Concepts fitted) sunroof. Originally Oxford White exterior with the Regatta Blue interior. 145HP 2.3L non-intercooled Garrett T3 .60-.63 turbo and the WC T5 trans, 7.5" trac-loc rear, TRX suspension/handling package..........

Now Bradley ya pic confuses the hell outta me and my 84 Coupe lol was it just the Turbo Models that got the battery on the driver side like the later Foxes ... or was the standard 4 bangers the only ones who retained the passenger side mounted battery ...... My 84 Coupe has the batter on the passenger side like the early Foxes . What gives here ??

Lol and if I get the the battery was never on the passenger side in 84 ... yes I can and will prove it lol

Edited by Rick Schmidt

Now Bradley ya pic confuses the hell outta me and my 84 Coupe lol was it just the Turbo Models that got the battery on the driver side like the later Foxes ... or was the standard 4 bangers the only ones who retained the passenger side mounted battery ...... My 84 Coupe has the batter on the passenger side like the early Foxes . What gives here ??

Lol and if I get the the battery was never on the passenger side in 84 ... yes I can and will prove it lol

Speaking of battery placement, my '87 GT has the battery on the left. I can't recall where the battery on my '86 LX 2.3 was (it's been gone for 17 years). I seem to recall some issue w/ one or more of the MPC or Monogram kits wrt to battery placement (at least for the rivet counters).

Dave, I believe even the intercooled had the battery on the driverside looked very similar except for the intercooler chillin on top of the engine . It just confused me to see it that way in an 84. Doesn't catch me off as bad anymore to see it there on later foxes ... especially the FI ones since the intake leads off towards the passenger side

Rick, pretty sure only the V8 cars had the battery on the passenger side until '86 when it was moved over to the drivers side

Makes sense..the '86+ V8 has the air box on the right side, was like that through '93 IIRC.

My brother's '79 IPC and '82 GT are both 302s, not sure where the battery is on them.

Edited by Rob Hall

Rick, pretty sure only the V8 cars had the battery on the passenger side until '86 when it was moved over to the drivers side on the V8 cars.

i have no experience with the 6cyl. Mustangs, can't tell you with those where the battery was located

I do know in 82 it was on the passenger side in all models including mine which WAS an inline 6 car ( hehe she so outta line now lol ) and my 84's battery is in the same location

S7302733.jpg

Obviously my battery is missing but ya can see where it goes and where it can't go

I wouldn't be to quick to say something never happend when it comes to cars, particularly when dealing with options or "foriegn" versions. There is a local guy here with a particularly hot Ford station wagon. It is a factory built car with all the street legal factory "race" options one would want. Technically his car was never available, but because he was in racing in the 60s and knew the right people he got options Ford "never" offered on that car. It is one of the coolest sleepers I've seen, and from what I recall he said there are only 2 others like it.

Never mind the Camaro's, vettes & T birds. What about all the 57 Chevys ??

Loving every one of them :wub: Now can we have a new Nomad please Mr Revell ? Oh, and a 4 door 57 sedan.

C'mon you can also see the sales in Taxi & cop car version sales . . . . . .

There never has been, nor imho will there ever be, enough 55 or 57 chevys. I too would love a new 57 Nomad .

unless Michigan swapped in 351W's there were no Ford build Mustangs or SSP package cars with those engines. all SSP coupes were 5.0 powered. i seriously doubt Michigan would have done such a swap as well, it's just not something a state maintenance department would have done.

That is correct, MSP never had a fox body SSP with a 5.8. At best Ford could have let them test one for their annual police car trial's.

and that's only IF Ford ever even built a 351W test mule. it's possible that the SVE/SVT team may have built such a thing to test aftermarket parts like the GT-40 package but something like that more than likely would not have been offered to Michigan for testing as a police package. the 351W in a Fox platform won't even fit under a stock hood.

Wellllllll........ It'll fits under a Stock hood if said stock hood has a stock bolt on cowl scoop..... lol I know what ya meant Dave I just hadda be evil .

I doubt Ford put pace car hoods or Cowl induction hoods on the SSP lol

I don't see how you can just look at the site and come to the conclusion that it's unreliable. Based on what???

Based on the fact that there are no listings of a Thunderbird (or a derivative of one) in any other country other than the US. Are we supposed to believe that a Thunderbird never made it outside of the US? Chrustian has already proven that they were available outside of the US regardless of whether or not his is a factory 5.0 Super Coupe. I just recently saw an add for a late '80s Ranger for sale with a factory diesel engine. Never saw or heard of one in my life,but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.