Model Cars Magazine Forum

how many camaros, corvettes and t-birds do we have to look at?

i've been out of modeling for a long time.

scanning ebay for model kits i am amazed at how many corvettes, t-birds, mustangs and camaros etc etc there are for sale. whats with these manufacturers? - its the same ole same ole stuff reboxed 100 differnt ways.

it seems like there is a bigger selection of nascar models then regular cars. how about some good ole americana like an ambassador, rebel, metropolitan, bonneville, catalinas. how about a pontiac ventura, cadillac seville or maybe a olds custom cruiser wagon or ford falcon economy. where are the pintos and the vegas and valients and demons?

are the tooling costs to make these just so outrageous its not worth it to them. i would love to see a bigger selection.

good news i just read that MPC is reissuing the amc gremlin. now that's one i will buy.

Currently there are 61,571 model kits for sale on eBay, with only 5,760 of them being NASCAR. 9% of the total is a "bigger selection"?

The 5 auctions at the top of the listings right now are a '68 El Camino, VW T1 Samba "Bus", '59 Cadillac, and 1925 Ford Model T (AMT Tall T kit). There are two T-Birds (Model King '71 and recent reissued '62) and then it's a plethora of JDM Toyotas. Now if none of that is your cup of tea, so be it, but there's quite a variety of building subjects in the first 50 items on Page 1 and there are only 1232 more pages to go.

Trends change, and what is selling today might not sell tomorrow. That's how it goes. As a builder I build what interests me, regardless of what is popular. In other words, I go with my imagination, not with the flow . . .

You're not alone Virgil.............

rearcloseup.jpg

Ed Shaver

Sounds like my complaint when I go to a 1:1 car show with the Barracuda!

You would hate the car show we have in this town every year. They close off about 6 blocks of main street and more than 2 of those are lined with vette's on both sides plus intermixed in all the others. The camaro's are about right for the ratio though. I think I've seen one Barracuda in the last 3 years.

Well the math works; I have two Camaro's to each Corvette... Oh, we're talking models. Well look at what people want to drive in the real world, and you can see what kit companies will make.

Even modelers who drive mundane real cars (other than wanting a replica of what they drive) like to build popular (perfomance) cars, more so than an Altima, Elantra or Camry. That is why there are more Challenger and Camaro models than basic economy cars and even luxury cars. They simply appeal to a wider audience. It is also why the higher end versions of those cars are what are usually represented in model form. And add to that the vicarious thrill of building an exotic car that many will never have the chance to own a real life counterpart.

That being said, I for one would like a '68 Olds Vista Cruiser kit... (Only so I could build a replica of mine.)

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Foxbat.

I beleive the kit manufactureres should use the developement dollars to ressurrect tooling that has not seen the light in 40 years instead of reissuing the same kits year after year. How many 57' Chevy's or Camaros or Mustangs do we need?

I would love to see them redo the MPC 68' Coronet R/T. Also, what about re-releasing the the 76' thru 80' Plymouth Volare Roadrunners?

Like Ken said, there are plenty of new kits out there if you look for them.

And as far as the same old kits being reissued over and over... reissues cost the model companies very little. The tooling has been paid for, so the only costs associated with re-issuing an old kit is limited to the actual production, packaging and shipping costs. It takes far fewer re-issued kits sold to make back the cost of re-issuing them than it takes sales of a newly-tooled kit to do the same... so re-issuing old kits, especially of perennially popular subjects, is a no-brainer for the manufacturers. And as long as people keep buying the old re-issues, the manufacturers will keep re-issuing them. It's just good, basic Business 101.

There was a mini-glut of them at one time, with Monogram's '87 Turbo Coupe and Revell's SC annual kit. Boring cars and boring kits, which I would imagine why the kits can be seen in abudance at swap meets had for next to nothing.

Hmmm...

I bought a new 1991 SC 5.0L and found it anything but boring.

I do agree more or less Ken (and this is coming from a guy who once owned an '87 Turbo Coupe), but what about the other T-Bird kits? I was thinking more along the lines of the '57, '58, '66.... even that dreadful Arii '72. THOSE are the T-Birds I'd like to see built more often.

i do like the Fox based Thunderbirds but you can keep those later ones. you hit it right on the head with "boring" and that i think is being as positive as you can be about those things. i'm no fan of the last Monte Carlo either, you couldn't pay me to own or drive those things.

Have you ever driven an SC? Or been in one when I was at the wheel?

If it is boring, than a 635CSi and a 560SEL must be even more boring, since a 5.0 SC can outperform both in every aspect. At least when I drive it. Bland maybe. But certainly not boring.

Edited by Junkman