Model Cars Magazine Forum

How Are You Preparing for the Winter Months?

I'm almost done painting what I'll be building during the winter. (if i build any at all, I'll probably be playing SWTOR). I dont pay the electricity where I am, so i try not to open my vent window during the winter unless I really have to..If i paid the bill here i'd have less of a problem with it.

there's been an upswing in Mustang/Fox body CBPs the last week or so, and I've still got a stack of Hudson Hornets, so that should keep me busy most of the snowy months.

Then I've got to do something with that 1:1 '40 Dodge I just got... :P

Can we see a picture of it, Chuck?

I have about a dozen painted bodies, and I plan on finishing most of them between now and next Spring. Then it will be time for some Spring cleaning, etc . . .

I'm just curious if anyone else stocks up on enough styrene to feed their styrene addictions during the months of hibernation! LOL!

LOL! Christian, I was wondering when someone was going to chime in on the truth of the matter. It doesn't get THAT cold here (never snows) but since I was born on a tropical island (I don't know how many of you know where the Island of Doctor Moreau is?) I fare pretty well, but the weather changes and it ruins any chance of painting outside, and I tend not to paint indoors, at least not the shiny jobs . . . which is why I stock up on those . . .

Keep your own comments coming! Thank you.

I know there are 3 months when I can paint outside without humidity..Dec, Jan, and Feb.

Outside of those months the humidity is 75 to 90 % so its blush city!!

I have :wub: 48, 49, and 50 fords on the bench now....I suspect Santa is bringing the HOK :D :D

well my winter will be a bit colder now that i live closer to the base of the mountain going up to big bear and other resorts.

ill be getting my wifes car ready for winter as well as my car as it has no heater for the front defrost(install thermostat) or keeping warm.

i also need to buy a heater for the garage, i still paint during the winter. we dont get snow, but it does get fairly cold. but using a heater and warming up the paints help out. i might buy a dehydrator to help out as well.

I stopped shaving the back hair as it does get chilly here in NC and now that the pool is closed, I need that fur coat to stay warm until April. ;):D

I have enough stalled projects to keep me going and with that week after Christmas being vacation time, I plan on getting many of them done. If we get some warm weather, I will start another project and try to get that done as well.

I sure don't miss those long cold winters when I lived in Chicago except they did give me a reason to build!

There are 30 completed bodies sitting in the shop just glaring at me ! Most of them have all of their parts painted . I'm as prepared for it as I'll ever be !

Smartest thing I've done was install the heater in the airbrush booth , now I can paint year 'round . Did I just say the smartest thing ? Hmmmn , debatable for sure .

Not sure how much will get done over the winter , modelwise . The ' 85 pickup is getting a complete makeover , the ' 94 GT is getting some extra tlc under the hood to make her even prettier under there !

Last but not least ... Restoring the engine compartment on my buddy's ' 69 Goat . Yah for me ! Anybody got a transmorgifier ? I need about 10 copies of me , post haste ! Good Lord !

I just make sure the buckets of sand/salt for the driveway are full. :) .. we've already has 18" here.. arggghhhh!

I have so many unfinished builds that I never run out of things to do when cabin fever sets in. I might even start a new build. :lol:

"Smartest thing I've done was install the heater in the airbrush booth , now I can paint year 'round . Did I just say the smartest thing ? Hmmmn , debatable for sure" . (Don Yost)

I've done this too. I'm using an enclosed radiator ( the type that heats oil or water in sealed metal tubing ). I turn it off a while before I start painting and find I can control temperature/humidity more easily in winter than in summer. Still, I'm not 100% sure about the safety aspect. If anybody has thoughts on this, I'm all ears.

Edited by peekay

The heater is sealed, you're good ! Be sure to wipe the tubes off and keep the paint dust off of them . This way , you won't lose heat capacity . As much as I joke about it , I'm glad the heater is there ! No more looking at the thermometer and cussin' Mother Nature !

Just fire it up for 10 minutes and the shop is 72 degrees in the blink of an eye ! Not much goes on most winter weekends so I can paint all day with no worries .

Tony, that sounds interesting, I've never done that, but it sounds right. Paint loves a dry, dust-free atmosphere, or rather we painters do love it.

You paint at night? How can you see the real color, and or effects?

Spotlight by the backdoor of the house...I paint one colour, so easy peasy!!