Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Best Five Hours You Can Spend On HOW-TOs . . .

On Saturday I got both of Donn Yost's amazing how-to DVDs, a total of five hours of tip and techniques jammed packed into a little over five hours. It's the most fun I've had in this hobby in a long time.

I am very please to report that Mr. Yost 's method of painting models is sound and the results are amazing. Case in point, while I watched the videos and took little breaks, I started to paint a model using his method, and for the first time, say in about 30 plus years, I felt like I was not only learning, but also getting excellent results right off the bat.

One of my big reasons for giving up on enamels long ago was the time I had to wait for the paint to cure, but Donn's 2 parts enamel paint to one part cheap lacquer (not auto grade, but the stuff you find for cheap in the paint stores) really speeds up the process and the results are amazing. (I will have pictures of the model in the next few days).

These videos are for EVERYBODY (and Donn ain't paying me to say that either), and it really is a primer course on picking up tips and techniques. I think for beginner and intermediate, these a gold mine, and for the seasoned veteran, well, you can reinforce some of the tactics and methods you already use.

Overall, I think these two DVDs should be a part of everyone's collection.

Thanks, Donn, for taking me all the way through your process and making me feel like a kid again!

Donn's approach to his method is just fun to watch. And through him, I got to relive the excitement of what this hobby can truly offer. Just the gleam in the eye and pride in work well done. His model speak for themselves, but he is a natural teacher . . .

The only true way of appreciating someone's tips and techniques is to put them to the test, and right now I've got the first model I've painted in enamels in over 30 plus years and I can't wait to get it done so I can share it here.

Plus the smell of the stuff really takes me back, way back to when I started . . . it's a great feeling.

On Saturday I got both of Donn Yost's amazing how-to DVDs, a total of five hours of tip and techniques jammed packed into a little over five hours. It's the most fun I've had in this hobby in a long time.

I am very please to report that Mr. Yost 's method of painting models is sound and the results are amazing. Case in point, while I watched the videos and took little breaks, I started to paint a model using his method, and for the first time, say in about 30 plus years, I felt like I was not only learning, but also getting excellent results right off the bat.

One of my big reasons for giving up on enamels long ago was the time I had to wait for the paint to cure, but Donn's 2 parts enamel paint to one part cheap lacquer (not auto grade, but the stuff you find for cheap in the paint stores) really speeds up the process and the results are amazing. (I will have pictures of the model in the next few days).

These videos are for EVERYBODY (and Donn ain't paying me to say that either), and it really is a primer course on picking up tips and techniques. I think for beginner and intermediate, these a gold mine, and for the seasoned veteran, well, you can reinforce some of the tactics and methods you already use.

Overall, I think these two DVDs should be a part of everyone's collection.

Thanks, Donn, for taking me all the way through your process and making me feel like a kid again!

I have been using lacquer thinner in enamel paints for over 10 years. Always have had great reusults. I even decant Testors enamels and put lacquer thinner in it to spray through my airbrush.

I bought his painting video at show in NC last year after talking with him for 45 minutes. What a great guy and willing to share his knowledge. I was impressed with his video and will start using the tips soon as I have to re-do my airbrush set up. I have watched that video at least 5 times and am anxious to use his method.

A friend of mine made copies of those videos for me and they are well worth watching. I don't know if I have the paint video also, I'll have to look as I know that I viewed the video at one time.

Don Yost worked very hard, and invested a lot of time and a considerable amount of capital into these videos, and now you tell us your friend pirated them ? Sounds unethical to me....Steven Zimmerman

One of my big reasons for giving up on enamels long ago was the time I had to wait for the paint to cure, but Donn's 2 parts enamel paint to one part cheap lacquer (not auto grade, but the stuff you find for cheap in the paint stores) really speeds up the process and the results are amazing.

What were you using to thin your paint before?

David, I usually use the thinner that is recommended within a paint system . . . i.e., with HOK I use Medium Temp reducer, etc . . . .

The second DVD, Donn really goes all out and shows you all sorts of great tricks. About 4 hours worth (2 DVDS) and my favorite is the sections on kit-bashing (I'm a believer now that the 66 Chevy Nova and the Super Bee are great for robbing parts) and engine and interior detailing.

Doc, specifically, what were you thinning the enamels with?

If you are using mineral spirits or possibly a generic paint thinner from a hardware or box store, chances are it's mineral spirits. A quick sniff and feel will let you know if it's spirits, mineral spirits has a slightly oily feel to it

. My lettering enamels are very similar to model enamels or the old Alkyd enamels, i add a hardener to it for durability as they pulled all of the lead out of it recently. The hardener will speed up the drying time considerably. I also thin my paint with DuPont 3812s, this is their fast dry reducer, IIRC they also have 2 other reducers that dry slower. I have under extreme conditions needed to use their slower drying reducers and the drying time increases dramatically. I have also found that you do get a slight better shine from the reducer over laquer thinner. BTW, the hardener I use is Valspar's Enamel Hardener, I buy it at Tractor Supply, 1/2 pint for $16.

3812 is expensive compared to generic thinner at about $35 compared to $10-$15 for thinner.

I just wanted to throw some more options out there.

Spraying the hardened enamel dries WAY faster than brushing it.

So my point is, to all who say enamel takes too long to dry, if you find the right components for it, you can speed up your drying

Edited by Psychographic

Hey Gang,

I asked Santa for both of Donn's videos, hope he thinks I've been good.

Dr. Cranky, thanks for your input too, seems like everyone who has seen the videos has something very nice to say, I can't wait!!

Oh, I thin with the cheap stuff too, makes a big difference, except I thin acrylics with windshield washer fluid, that really helps them too.

Mike

Edited by bigmikevee

Hey Gang,

I asked Santa for both of Donn's videos, hope he thinks I've been good.

Dr. Cranky, thanks for your input too, seems like everyone who has seen the videos has something very nice to say, I can't wait!!

Oh, I thin with the cheap stuff too, makes a big difference, except I thin acrylics with windshield washer fluid, that really helps them too.

Mike

maybe for christmas ill get the dvds as well! maybe i can con someone into getting me the dvds for christmas so i dont have to use my christmas money i know that is comming to me to get em'!? :wub: :wub: :wub:

Mike ,

I really hope you're happy ! I've been holding my breath for over a year now and I'm about the prettiest shade of purple you'd ever want to see ...... Lol ! C'mon , Buddy , I'm waiting !!!!

I corrupted Virgil , you're next ! Oh , by the way ! Boyd's Purple Pearl base , PearlX violet , red/ blue mixed in the clear . Alternate the pearl coats with straight clear coats , I think you'll be extremely pleased with the results !

As Crazy Jim would say " Ohhh ! Shiny paint " It just dances and shimmers like you wouldn't believe when the light hits it .