Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Monza

Scale-Master

What can I say, I just have to build... This is one I have been planning to do for some time. (Yes, I realize it is not a Super 7.)

Original issue 1/8 scale Pocher kit. I am building it Out-Of-The-Box along the IPMS rules which allow for some latitude in finishing materials, decals and ways to make the model look it's best. I want to build it to represent not only a prototypical Alfa one might see in a museum, but also as a representation of what a Pocher kit builds into, the way the engineers intended.

No machining parts, no scratchbuilding, just painting, detailing and assembling. I will have to do some decal work as the kit's decal sheet is the only casualty (that I'm aware of) of age and deterioration.

DSC01992.jpg

Here is the raw engine block, I may have to get out the ruler to give an idea of the size of this one...

DSC01994.jpg

Here is the cleaned up block textured and painted.

DSC02008.jpg

Here is the assembled crank with connecting rods.

DSC02007.jpg

Just curious as to your thoughts on this one...

From my experience, Pocher kits, while incredible enough OOB, need quite a bit of extra work to make a truly accurate model. Knowing your usual attention to accuracy and detail, why set "rules" for yourself regarding how you're going to build the kit? Are you going to enter it in a contest when you're done?

Mark,

Could you please do us all a favor and continue posting updates on this thread? The Super 7 build is broken up into a bunch of little threads and if someone wanted to use the info they might miss a piece during the search.

I too am interested in seeing this project through to completion,

Thank you!

These models do not build into exact copies of real cars from the kit. Mainly the bolts and screws give it away.

As I stated in my opening monologue :"I want to build it to represent not only a prototypical Alfa one might see in a museum, but also as a representation of what a Pocher kit builds into, the way the engineers intended.

No machining parts, no scratchbuilding, just painting, detailing and assembling."

It's not so much that I am setting rules for myself, but once I start "upgrading" the model, (I know myself) it could take years to finish, and it's not what I want to do to this kit. (And I need to build something easy after the Blue 7.) I think it would be nice to make it as it was intended to be back when it was originally engineered.

I will keep this one together in this thread. Remember, this forum was started well after the Seven was under construction, that's why it was posted haphazardly.

Thanks, and stay tuned...

Here is the raw oil pan. I did sand off the Pocher legalese lettering but the ghost of it is still visible.

DSC02010.jpg

Textured like the block and painted and detailed...

DSC02012.jpg

The engine block halves are painted and read to start accepting some of the accessories. This kit builds a bit different than today's "normal" kits.

DSC02013.jpg

It is a departure from normal building practices to fully finish each exterior side of the engine prior to putting the block together. I'm sure it could be built in a more traditional way with a little creative re-engineering, but since I'm building it in the spirit intended by the original designers, I'll continue to follow their lead. Now onto installing the crank, rods, pistons and cylinder sleeves...

DSC02035.jpg

DSC02036.jpg

Here is the left half of the block with the crank, rods and pistons installed, as well as the rear four cylinder sleeves.

DSC02037.jpg

Here it is all assembled.

DSC02038.jpg

The seams front and rear were filled with CA and treated like regular seams, then they were textured and painted to match the rest of the engine.

Click Image if you dare...:

th_MOV02042.jpg

DSC02043.jpg

DSC02049.jpg

The transmission presented similar issues as the engine, internals had to be sandwiched between the halves. I dry fitted them first and did the majority of the clean up, then took them apart and installed the inside metal parts. The screws in this kit are awful, (not sure if it's the way all the kits are, or if mine just has a bad run of hardware), the heads twist off or the shanks shear when they are only about 1/4 or 1/3 of the way in. Even drilling out the bosses to make less of a load on them does not seem to help, good thing there is super glue...

So the seams were filled with CA and hold the halves together since the screws weren't doing their job. A little bit of the seam was left intentionally as there is a bit of a casting line on the real ones.

Here it is masked off and ready to be shot:

DSC02041.jpg

Textured with SMS Faux Fabrix and painted Tamiya AS-12 Bare Metal Silver.

DSC02046.jpg

And here it is completed and mounted to the engine.

DSC02056.jpg

DSC02057.jpg

I spent a good eight hours lacing four of these wheels, that's after dry fitting, painting and familiarizing myself with them. Not a particularly hard job, but tedious and somewhat monotonous. At least once the pattern is established, it does have a rhythm, a good project to do with T.V. or music on... I found doing them altogether at the same time a benefit for uniformity.

Here is the first layer of spokes done.

DSC02050.jpg

The middle layer.

DSC02053.jpg

And the outer layer and final outer rim.

DSC02054.jpg

The tire treads were sanded and the sidewalls scrubbed with cleanser prior to mounting them.

Fitting the tire over the rim is a fight. It's a very tight fit and care must be exercised to not damage the wire wheels, they are much more fragile than I expected.

First round went to me, but the tire did draw some of my blood, literally. Second, third and fourth rounds belong to me, but I had to work for them...

DSC02058.jpg

Head w/Cams and Ignition

It has two cams that will not be seen once it is assembled, one still exposed here.

DSC02059.jpg

DSC02060.jpg

The head was textured in the same way same as the other engine parts. The cam covers are a mix of grays and pearls and metallics lightly textured with the dry application of the paint. I still have to make some decals for them to replace the damaged stickers that came in this kit.

Believe it or not, there are only seven plastic parts, (coil -2, distributor-2, cam covers-2 and the head) and six metal parts (thumbscrews and coolant pipe), (not counting the brass eyelets and wires), visible in this assembly now. Lots of hand painting to bring out the molded in detail, but worth it... And the plug wires, (as funky of a red as they look in person), fortunately only look this color in the photos...

DSC02061.jpg

I LOVE that video!!

I'm glad you're brave enough to build this one............. I have the Pocher Mercedes 540K so I get to see what I may have to look forward to if and when I get the nerve to build mine! :wink:

I'm gonna save each of the pages here for future reference!

Wow, it really is nice to see one of these kits being put together and shown through every step of the building process, my sincere thanks for showing us all what you are doing, can't get any better reference than this.................Like Bill says, I am also saving and storing this information in my computer also :wink:

Here is the steering box, treated to the same "upgrades" as the other parts that are represented as cast metal. Sadly, the gears were so poorly manufactured it will never function well, even after I spent quite a bit of time trying to clean them up, but as I learned later it really doesn't matter.

DSC02073.jpg

Here is the differential and rear spring assembly. Again with the Faux Fabrix texturing...

DSC02076.jpg

The engine installed in the frame. I am finding more "interesting" engineering ideas for how they used screws in this kit as I get deeper into it. Many screws are to be used in places they simply cannot be gotten to, many require you to unbuild several hours of work to gain access. Many also just don't line up. Reamers to open up holes and CA to keep them from stripping out helps.

DSC02079.jpg

The rear end installed...

DSC02080.jpg

The front suspension...

DSC02088.jpg

Mounting the firewall and floor have been the worst fit so far, but when checking how the body will mate to the firewall I found some real problems. More on that later...

The pitman arm rubs on the frame and there is no way short of notching the frame to give it clearance, but as I mentioned above, the gears were already bad so it is almost a moot point.

DSC02087.jpg

This shot shows the all the rear shocks installed and the shading on the flooring.

DSC02089.jpg

That is looking awesome. The texturing and details look great on everything. One of my all time favorite classics. I was fortunate enough to help in the restoration of a couple of these a few years ago. They had similiar bodies to the kit. Awesome machines. I'll be watching this one for sure. Hope you don't mind , I added a few pics of one

DSCF0774.jpg

DSCF0776.jpg

Got the brakes on, minus drums, but the fronts are still a bit floppy until the wheels are mounted to the suspension.

DSC02101.jpg

DSC02103.jpg

The suspension is pretty much all done too. But for all I know it'll have to be redone for the fenders or some other part to fit...

Also made new gauge faces for the dash. Most of the rest of the stickers look like they may be salvageable, which I will try to do to keep in the spirit of the kit.

DSC02102.jpg

Right now it is just painting work and drying time for the majority of the body...

• 2 weeks later...

Now I see why so many of these models reach this approximate point of construction and stall. While during the early stages of construction, despite some interesting situations, for the most part assembly moved along rather quickly, at least progress was noticeable on a daily basis if not an hourly one.

Now days of work yields very little noticeable advancement of the overall build.

True, part of that is due to painting and allowing to dry. Fortunately I was able to let most of the body parts dry when I went on a trip.

But now it is a case of having to take two or three steps back to be able to insert something to make a step forward.

Plus the instructions direct you to do things that cannot be done, so time discovering workarounds eats into build time. Did I mention the body parts don't fit either?

Don't get me wrong, I am relishing the challenge and enjoying the build, but also gaining a lot of respect for others who have completed these before with good results.

The front suspension is still floppy as I have not attached the wheels which should straighten that up.

Color is Testors Chrysler Engine Red, so far I've gone through more than four Model Master bottles of it.

There is also some wiring to do before the main part of the body goes on. More as it happens...

DSC02538.jpg

DSC02539.jpg

DSC02540.jpg

DSC02541.jpg