Model Cars Magazine Forum

Well, looks like I may have been wrong about Perry's Resin

I sent a couple emails to Perry's regarding his resin S10 Club Cab trans kit and was told he'd cast one up for me. I went out of my way to get payment to him as quick as possible thinking he might have it ready quickly. That was at the beginning of October. I sent him the funds and received no confirmation of him getting them. After several emails with no response, I called him. To add fuel to the fire, that phone call ended up costing me 20.00, my fault not remembering he was in Canada but it still doesn't help! He told me on the phone that he would get it out as soon as possible but here it is over a month later, he won't answer my emails and I'm not going to make another call just to add more cost to the situation. I had only heard good things about them and really like the stuff I have from them that I've bought at shows. Just wondering if I'll ever see this kit?

Perry resins and the problems people have had getting orders from him have been well documented on this forum, dont be surprised if this thread gets lock.

Go the the resin section of this forum and read the various threads about perrys resin and you will see you are not the only one.

Edited by martinfan5

Perry resins and the problems people have had getting orders from him have been well documented on this forum, dont be surprised if this thread gets lock.

Go the the resin section of this forum and read the various threads about perrys resin and you will see you are not the only one.

No, wrong resin supplier Jonathan. The threads you are thinking of are for a much more unreliable company.

Highway, I think you are right that I was thinking about that unreliable company , but there has been people complaining about perrys resin as well, which stopped me from ordering from him as well, just dont want to take the chance.

http://www.modelcars...showtopic=43352

Edited by martinfan5

The only thing I ever bought from Perry's Resin was a 68 Skylark GS around 10 years ago at the Toledo Show, I had a friend pick me one up, When he showed it to me, I went right back over to His table, And told him I wanted it replaced, The vents were cracked, And the chrome was flaking off, That was back when he actually plated his parts, That was the first issue I had, Then I ordered a set of 67 Firebird seats from him for the annual I had, Well here it is 10 years later, And I never seen the parts, So I sold the 67 Firebird also, This was before the 68 came out, I wanted to use all of the original MPC parts, I also remember another issue I had with a caster, I ordered a 71 Cutlass conversion kit, For the Jo-Han 70, That was in '98 I NEVER seen those parts. I won't mention the name , But you need to watch exactly who you order from, I will deal with about 5-6 Different Resin Casters,Thats it. As far as the "UnReliable" I have always got my stuff with in a few weeks. You guys have to realize, These people do have lives outside of the hobby industry. Yes I think we all have been done wrong at one time , But running people into the ground all the time isn't cool, Wait untill these people get sick of it,And stop casting stuff, Then when you want to build that certain project, It's no longer available. Lets give these Resin casters a break, Alot of you have NO idea what is involved with the Time and cost of producing resin kits and parts, The Rubber alone to make the molds alone would break most people,Same with the Resin, They have to buy this stuff in bulk,Either travel to pick the stuff up,Or have the stuff shipped to them, How do I know this, I know R&R Personally, I have been inside his shop, and have seen what is involved, It is just him making masters ,Making Molds, And his wife pouring the resin, And do you have any idea how much time is involved just cleaning bumpers for plating? I was out to his shop one day, He handed me a box of bumpers, And said here get to work while you're here. I got a couple of kits from him for it, But it took me about 3 hours to do. Alot of these people are doing this stuff alone. Give these guys a break.

One thing to point out is, The time of flashing out All for the parts for shipment, Imagine have to do 20-25 Complete kits a day, That would drive most people nuts.But these guys continue to do it for us. I understand waiting ALONG time isn't acceptable, But 6-8 Weeks is fair to wait, Anything after that, Then I would contact them to find out about what you purchased. And if you don't feel ok with sending money to the person, Simply just don't. Stick with the people with good reputations and you see in the magazines . Or have had good reveiws on the forums.

I have been a resin caster since 1993 and I know exactly what is involved. My issue is that all my emails made before payment was sent were answered quickly. Every single email, sent as replies or straight to his email after payment have gone unanswered.

Edited by Ben

I think for the most the part people understand what goes into resin casting, The problem, and I reapeat the PROBLEM people are having and what is wrong is the way these resin caster are treating their customers.

If you send a resin caster money for said part, resin caster should produce said part and ship it to customer in a timely manner, if not either contact the customer , or return customers phone calls or email's and not blow the customer off. Which is what seems to be going on.

If you can not produce products for your customers in less then a years time, then maybe you need to get out of being a resin caster.

These people have every right to upset that they have sent their money for products and not getting their products and getting blown off at the same time.

Steve,

Thank you for explaining how much work goes into resin casting and that along with the material costs keeps most of us from entering into that business.

With that said, it is unfortunate that whenever someone has an issue with a resin caster not delivering an order, it seems to be the same culprits again and again! The term "buyer beware" is one that must be applied to us modelers who might consider purchasing parts or kits from certain casters as many posts here have warned us of others experiences and frustrations with those certain casters.

There are many resin casters out there that seem to be able to offer quality product and customer service and as a result, have a solid reputation and healthy business.

I appreciate you taking the time to defend the resin casters that you know or have dealt with, but that should not mean that there are not members here that feel the same as you do.

I have been a resin caster since 1993 and I know exactly what is involved. My issue is that all my emails made before payment was sent were answered quickly. Every single email, sent as replies or straight to his email after payment have gone unanswered.

I understand what you are saying, Those are the people you want to stay away from, Personally I tried casting just a hood a few years ago, Out of 20 hoods, I got 2 that were usable, You do get people like that , They will take you money very quickly, Then make you wait, That is why I only deal with people that have good reputations, As I stated in my last post, And if you do have to call him up again, Do it, When I met him at that show, I didn't trust him that much then, Then when I wanted that Skylark replaced at first he told me no, Well after an argument with the guy, I got it , There was no way I was paying that much for damaged stuff. Back to your issue, Him ignoring you is rediculous. I cannot believe why anyone would want to treat customers like that, Get your money back for it if you payed for it online, I would love to get another one of those 68 Skylarks from him, But , My past run ins with them tells me not to order from them. I will however stand up for the other resin casters , Most of these fairly unknown ones will eventually burry themselves buy poor customer sevice, And late shippments, And the worst thing you can ever do is be rude to your customers, That is so not how to run a business at all. I feel bad that you're being treated this way my friend, But we have all been there at one time or another, I've had it done to me also, But what can you do, If the person doesn't care about his customers, That's like shooting yourself in the foot, As things go full circle, Us as buyers, Help, And keep alot of these companys stay around, But we also don't need to be getting ripped of in the process , There that old saying don't bite the hand that feeds you, I hope you didn't get bit, But there is a chance. Plus the more customers he loses, The less money he can make, To develope new kits and such, And if it has to do with the Hobby Shop he recently opened up, I bet he sells that stuff he casts there to those that want it,First, Thats just a thing that just came to mind also. If you don't get your stuff within the next few weeks, Then take further action. Ask for the payment back, And never deal with them again, If he refuses or ignores you, Turn him into the Better Business Bureau for fraud. That will get his attention. I personally do not or will not be taking advantage of by anyone I buy from. I learned to be somewhat ruthless. To protect myself from getting ripped off.

Edited by spkgibson

It is a poor way to run a business, I just don't get why somebody would want to rip somebody off like that. Pretty soon a caster will have no customers. I joined the Cactus Car Model club back in 2005 and took an interest in resin casting. I have been shown parts that other club members have purchased and I cannot believe some of the poor quality of parts that casters expect people to pay big money for. What if the big name kit makers gave you parts that has lots of detail but you have to sand and whittle it into some form before you can even use it. I have a personal problem with parts being cast from one piece molds. I don't ask for any money until the parts are made and it is packed ready for mailing. I have always got something around the house to do and a regular job to go to too, so for me it does take awhile sometimes to get parts made. It does not help that I am ADD and I bounce around at all the stuff to get done. Right now I am building a air compressor by attaching it to a small tank and a pressure switch and getting it wired up. I'm attaching it to a seven gallon portable air tank.

If these resin casters can not handle the business then maybe they should stop, or not accept new orders tell they get caught up. Either way what they are doing is stealing money from people, maybe not intentionally, but they still are. These guys may be good people and I am not saying they are not, but as being a resin caster and trying to run a resin business they are not good.

I am sorry but if can not produce goods you are being paid for to then you are ripping people off, what is irritating is people trying to defend them, ok how would you feel if you paid for something and a year later never received what you bought and then can not get any answer from them?.

If these resin casters can not handle the business then maybe they should stop, or not accept new orders tell they get caught up. Either way what they are doing is stealing money from people, maybe not intentionally, but they still are. These guys may be good people and I am not saying they are not, but as being a resin caster and trying to run a resin business they are not good.

I am sorry but if can not produce goods you are being paid for to then you are ripping people off, what is irritating is people trying to defend them, ok how would you feel if you paid for something and a year later never received what you bought and then can not get any answer from them?.

That has happened to me quite a few times, The most recent one is the flat 69 Camaro hood I purchased from Time Machine Resin, I ordered it on September 8th of this year, It's November 22. And it's still not here, I just chalk that up as a loss of $8. And I know now to never order from them again, Which is sad, Because they have a 69 Cyclone, 73 Charger and 68 Chevelle I was going to order from them. Now I have to find a 67-68 Camaro kit just for the hood to finish up the 69 Rally Sport Camaro I have been working on. I found the early release grill with the RS molded in it in my parts box, I wish I would have found the 67-68 hood, No luck there.

I ordered the SSII transkit from Time Machine, and it did take a few months, but after speaking on the phone with Jeff it was a case of a natural disaster (he had to help out some family members who were displaced by a hurricane) and a simple clerical error (at one point my not-yet shipped order was placed on the 'sent out' stack). I'd order from Time Machine again in a heartbeat- the prices are good, and the quality is good. I do take things like that into consideration, and I have to applaud Jeff for with a couple of rather testy e-mails I sent out! And I've heard very few negative stories about his delivery times. Perry's? I'll pick it up if I see it at a show, but after all the horror tales I've heard, no way am I going to order it via internet or mail.

As an update to this, I filed a complaint with Paypal explaining that I had sent several emails in several different ways with no response. He replied (as I expected) with "I didn't get any of your emails, you kit will be going out in a few days". He has till December 2nd for it to be in my hands. If not, i'm going to escalate it to a claim to get a refund.

Edited by Ben

I ordered two versions of the reprise 'Vettes from Perry's in May. Are they here yet? Rhetorical question. Has he answered my emails? Another rhetorical question. The only positive is that he has never deposited my check; one way to keep track, at least. Caveat emptor.

As an update to this, I filed a complaint with Paypal explaining that I had sent several emails in several different ways with no response. He replied (as I expected) with "I didn't get any of your emails, you kit will be going out in a few days". He has till December 2nd for it to be in my hands. If not, i'm going to escalate it to a claim to get a refund.

the last time i ordered something from Perry's was also the last time i will ever order anything from Perry's.

a few years ago i contacted Perry's about the Maverick conversions that he/they were offering and asked which ones were in stock and ready for immediate shipment. i wanted an early Maverick but the only ones that Randy said he had ready to ship were the '74-up style, so i ordered one of those and sent payment through Paypal. i didn't see that "in stock" Maverick for nearly 4 months and that was finally after a bunch of emails went his way asking where either the Maverick or my money was.

now, before the Maverick incident i had ordered from Perry's without issue and i was pretty happy with most everything i'd ever bought and the time in which it took for those items to arrive. after the Maverick incident i did buy from Perry's at the NNL East show, but that is the only way i will do business with them now.

Paypal?? Last I knew he only accepted M.O., which was the whole reason I never ordered from him in the past few years. Although now I think there are more reasons for not ordering.