Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 caprice lowrider custom paint.

gseeds

heres another one i just got done, started out as a '66 impala kit but converted to a '66 caprice, Dupli color spray can base,and then sems candy lacquers use for the fades and panels,pin striped and cleared, again this is a curb side build,so no motor or chassis detail. posted lots of pic's.

Hand pin stripped and cleared.

6665done017.jpg

6665done016.jpg

6665done012.jpg

6665done014.jpg

6665done011.jpg

Excellent talent Gary. Where do you get the rims and 5/20s? And also, could you share your secrets about your metal flake process? What brand and how do you apply it?

Thanks for all the eye candy!!

thanks Sedanman62, those wheels came from the amt 70 impala kit,and the tires are pegasus #1016 520 white walls. the paint stuff ill post later after i collect all the info needed.

Cool Caprice. You got all of the early lowrider details down. Killer paint, Cragars, donut steering wheel and rabbit ears tv antennae. Great that you are posting your builds all over the web. I have also seen your builds on layitlow and los boulevardos. Keep up the great work.

Edited by carrucha

:blink:

MAN MY EYEBALLS ARE ACHING!!

ow

:rolleyes:

Sweetness to the MAX Gary!!

B)

Do you pin strip it before the final clear coat?

What size brush?

How long is the dry time between coats and before pin stripping?

Where do you get the rabbit ears from?

:huh:

Great work Gary!

Thank You for sharing

Later

Russ

;)

Edited by rustybill1960

WOW! Gary that paint is gorgeous! Great colors! Could ya show us how you converted the roof? Did you use the original roof and mod it, or did you use a totally different roof from another car? If so, which one? These are the kind of conversions that REALLY get my attention! :D;)

WOW! Gary that paint is gorgeous! Great colors! Could ya show us how you converted the roof? Did you use the original roof and mod it, or did you use a totally different roof from another car? If so, which one? These are the kind of conversions that REALLY get my attention! :D;)

thanks george ! ill try , i started with a real bad resin 1967 resin of a caprice, so bad that someone give to me ! ,this what i started with, a badly casted '67 resin and the new amt '66 impala.

top002.jpg

top005.jpg

top010.jpg

after glueing on the roof i noticed the C piler looked too narrow so i added some plastic to the sides of the roof and reshaped them also reshaping the side window, also the resin roof was more narrow than the '66 top,

nothing is to exact measurements, i just google pictures of '67 caprice's and used eyeball engineering,

66caprice007.jpg

66caprice008.jpg

added new drip rails and 1st coat of primer.

primeredtop66008.jpg

also the trunk on the impala is too short and the caprice trunk is longer , i fixed this by rescribeing a new trunk line,again eyeball engineering, i ended up cutting the whole trunk out and then repaired the trunk edge's reglueing it back on because my scibe lines were not straight.

short trunk.reworked rear window and made new window molding's, hope this help's.

primeredtop66002.jpg

new trunk.

66trunk002.jpg

then i added the drip rails.and 1st coat of primer on the top.

primeredtop66008.jpg

and the trunk on the impala is too and the caprice has a longer trunk lid, i fixed this by scibeing a new trunk lid .

short lid.also reworked the rear window opening and window moldings. hope this helps.

primeredtop66002.jpg

new lid.

66trunk002.jpg

Edited by gseeds