Model Cars Magazine Forum

Topless Terror

Nitrozilla

This build represents a change in philosophy for me. I've always stuck with a project to completion, no matter what. Also, as long as I've been a member of this forum, there were usually daily updates. Well, with the delays on the Bride of Deora and some stuff I have to do for Christmas intervening, I'm going to take a more laid back approach. I finally have the Galaxie 38' trailer I'll be using for the Deora which will bring the length of the pair to almost 24". Screams diorama, right ??

Having said that, I couldn't twiddle my thumbs waiting any more. Instead, I whipped out a box and started clean up and prep on what has been the single worst kit for seams and fitment. I won't mention the manufacturer because, honestly they should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this kit to ever hit the shelves. A recent contest I attended had a category for kits like this. It was for turning a sow's ear into a "Silk Purse." Some of you will know this kit, but I would just as soon let that drop and simply say that I am up to the challenge.

Since I had nothing to lose I decided to turn this into a "Technique Testbed" so that I could try things I haven't done before. I started by removing the roof and filling in the body, then cut holes for the motor and cage, then added a rollcage cover ala Beach City Chevrolet style. The engine will be detailed and plumbed using glass beads for fittings. The injectors are scratch built along with a new style fuel block system. Also scratched will be the distributor, fuel pump, and a nifty little belt guard idea I got from the USA-1 F/C. Using beading wire, I made the guard frame and formed the numbers "426" to fit inside. After covering the clutch/trans assembly with paper tape I fabricated some lashing rings for the cover's straps.

Competition Resins will be well represented here with their wrinkle wall slicks and driver figure. I'll cover the figure later due to the changes that are being made to it.

That oughta cover it for now. Sorry for the rant early on. It's really not my style because I don't approve of "haters" and just had to get it out of my system. Now I can go on to make this model "The Best It Can Be".

2007-04-18001.jpg2007-04-18002.jpg2007-04-18004.jpg2007-04-18005.jpg2007-04-18006.jpg

Edited by Batzilla

Very cool build! I can't tell, what was the body originally?

The the use of the glass beads for Valve stems, very ingenious idea! In addition to the 426 Belt Guard, I would have never thought to do something like that. If this is 1/24th scale, you have some talent in bending those numbers into something that small!

Congrats on a very awesome build and car to go with your stretched diora.

Thanx folks, but I can't take credit for the use of beads and my defective cerebral cortex interferes with remembering who it was here that recommended Beadalon products. I couldn't find those, but the ones I found are Toho from Michael's.

The belt guard was uber fun. What you see is the 4th attempt. It was originally going to say HEMI, but it would have required overlapping bends or soldering skills of the Gods I do not possess. As it is, a close look will show the touch up still needed for where the CA was applied.

Bart, just to clarify if I erroneously implied, the Bride of Deora still gets the Charlie Allen car with the Chi-Town Hustler chassis. This was a time filler I wasn't going to start while I waited on the trailer from Dansey's Hobby. The kit is a 1/25th Challenger. Ironic it would be my biggest challenge.

Darryl, can ya tell by the colors I started it just after Halloween ??

Thanx all, it does feel good to be back at it although today was all about Christmas shopping and no work. Figured I'd post a little more detail that didn't make it into the first batch. Also I needed to pick up some .025 solder because I was having a hard time shoving .032 solder into .030 beads for the fuel lines. Should have some more progress pics tomorrow.

2007-04-21006.jpg2007-04-21004.jpg2007-04-21002.jpg

A little more motor work done today with the fuel block almost done. Still need to add the fuel pump feed tubing to each of the four tube sections. Also got the holes drilled in the heads and the grooves cut out on the top of the blower to fit the blower restraint wires. Yeah, I would like to have a PE set up, but funds go to the GrandBratz at this time of year. Oughta go together pretty easy once all the mock up is finished. Will be working on beading the intake and injector lines tonite. That'll be fun. Anybody have a 10,000 X magnifier I can borrow?

2007-04-22001.jpg2007-04-22002.jpg2007-04-22004.jpg

An itty - bitty bit more progress. Feeling a cold coming on, ughhhh. Shoulda listened to Dr. Cranky about the vitamins.

Found some .025 solder at Fry's Electronics that fits the .030 (11/0) beads. Veeery tight fit at the fuel distribution blocks, but, it worked. Wooooot !!

Also got the restraint harness brackets done. After the fuel lines are done I'll get to the wiring and get the blower belt & guard installed.

Ughhhh, bedtime. Nyquil, do yer stuff.

2007-04-22008.jpg2007-04-23001.jpg2007-04-23002.jpg

This cold still has it's lethargic grip on all of my physical attributes, however, I did manage to get some more work done on the fuel lines and wiring. I don't recommend doing "head down" work while sinuses attempt to explode your eyes.

While solder is easy to work with, bending-wise, I think I'll try beading wire next time as it should make for straighter lines.

Injectors are next, after I install the blower restraint belts. I think you'll approve of my belt material choice.

Enjoy and thanx for looking.......

2007-04-23001-1.jpg2007-04-23002-1.jpg2007-04-25001.jpg2007-04-25002.jpg2007-04-25003.jpg

I hope y'all appreciate the pain, suffering and anguish I'm enduring to do all of this. If my head explodes I'm not taking the blame. Seriously, my cold is 90% under control and the engine is 90% done. Soon I'll be able to work on something less tedious and agonizing, like maybe the pilot fer instance.

There may be some fitment issues that cause me to change bodies, but if I do it'll still be topless.

Hope ya like what ya see.

Arghhh. Just noticed a couple of beads popped out of place on the fuel distribution blocks. I'll get to that too......

2007-04-25001-1.jpg2007-04-25002-1.jpg2007-04-25005.jpg2007-04-25003-1.jpg2007-04-25004.jpg

Edited by Batzilla

Surprise !! Thought I forgot y'all, right? I've been posting but that cold I got drained my sinuses along with any desire to build.

I'm back in the schwing of things and want to share some small progress on the driver and fuel cells.

The last thing I'll do on the figure is the helmet, so he won't look right until that's done. So far I've done the firesuit in white and the boots, gloves and face mask in silver. The helmet visor and goggles are black, with yellow lenses for the eyes. My original plan for the suit was to mask off striping for paint, then when I started putting on the tape, it looked good enuff to stay. Touch up is needed on the tape and firesuit from trimming damage and the goggle lenses need a second coat. The whole figure will get dullcote.

On the fuel and oil tanks, holes have been drilled for lines and I made caps. Also got pad restraint straps on the rollcage.

Next comes a scratch built fuel pump, then we'll really see some progress.

Thanx for checking in. I know I said I was going to take a more laid back approach, but I didn't mean to get laid OUT.

2007-05-02005.jpg2007-05-02004.jpg2007-05-02001.jpg2007-05-02002.jpg2007-05-02003.jpg

Edited by Batzilla