Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2Models now OWNS AMT/MPC/Polar Lights!

SOUTH BEND, Indiana – 11/30/2011 –Round 2, LLC, announced today that they have acquired

all rights to industry leading model kit brands AMT, MPC and Polar Lights from TOMY

International, Inc. (formerly RC2 Corporation).

Round 2 acquired the brands from TOMY International after manufacturing branded model kits under a licensing agreement since 2008. “We’ve had a great relationship with TOMY

International for a long time and it has been a pleasure working with them as a licensee and

now as a buyer,” said Thomas Lowe, President of Round 2 LLC.

“We feel extremely fortunate to be acquiring these brands,” continued Lowe. “These are some

of the industry’s most iconic brands and our acquisition represents a significant strategic fit with

our initiatives and where we believe the industry is headed, in the near and long term. This deal

is a win for Round 2, TOMY and most importantly, the modelers.”

“We are pleased to have been working with Round 2 as a licensee the last 3 years, and now as

the buyer,” said Pete Henseler, president of TOMY International. “We wish them continued

success in the model kit business and expect their expertise and passion for the hobby model

kit business to drive these brands in the years ahead.”

The history of the model kit brands goes back as far as 1948 when AMT, which stands for

Aluminum Model Toys, was founded as a promotional toy company. Model Products

Corporation, MPC, was started in 1963 and focused on bringing even more automotive subject

matter to market in kit form. Founded in 1996, Polar Lights has focused on figural, horror and

pop culture genres.

The acquisition gives Round 2 tooling and materials that date back into the 1950s. The tooling

and artwork also represent an opportunity to bring back classic model kits in original-styled

packaging, increasing the desirability and nostalgia.

“I grew up building models. Not in my wildest dreams would I have ever imagined I’d someday

own the brands I was building as a kid,” said Lowe.

About Round 2

Round 2, LLC is an innovative collectibles company located in South Bend, IN. The creative

team at Round 2 is dedicated to producing detailed, high quality collectible and playable items

appealing to the young and young at heart. Round 2 brands include Polar Lights®, AMT® and

MPC® model kits, Auto World® slot cars, Forever Fun™ seasonal products and the licensed

brands American Muscle®, Ertl Collectibles® and Vintage Fuel™ die cast.

Something I find interesting is that TOMY has only owned the AMT, MPC and Polar Lights brands for a few months ... it acquired them when it bought RC2 earlier this year after RC2's stock nose-dived due to some of its Thomas the Tank Engine toys being recalled due to high levels of lead in the paint.

Makes me wonder how Round 2 was able to get a deal done with TOMY and not with RC2 ...

AMT, MPC, Polar Lights, RC2, Tomy, Round 2.... buyouts, mergers, takeovers... lions and tigers and bears...

How in the world do you keep this all straight? :blink:

I guess, but you know I'm always looking on the bright side. Last time I was at the LHS there were models from the floor to the ceiling, which is a lot more than the last time I walked into a Wal Mart and found the entire section of models (paints and other ######) GONE for good!

from what I understand Round 2 now owns all the old AMT/MPC/SMP and Polar Lights tools. but I'm assuming they will still be producing the kits in the old RC2 factories. sounds like Tomy has no interest in the plastic model car market. but i'm happy to see they sold the tools, and didn't destroy them.

The big reason why Tomy bought RC2 is because they want to bring Tomica cars back into the USA. they also wanted Johnny Lightning and Thomas the Tank engine.

Well, Ken, all I can say is thank god you have a handle on that, because I am totally lost!

Seriously... I don't even try to keep track of that end of the hobby. That's why we have you! :D

Can you imagine what a "family tree" type of diagram of the history of model kit manufacturers would look like? Hey, that might actually make an interesting magazine feature. I bet that most people have no idea of how today's kit manufacturers got to this point. Anyone who's into the history of the business end of the hobby would be interested...

Not that hard, really ... and I used to be a business reporter! ;)

By my count, this move means the AMT and MPC brand names are both now in the hands of their seventh owner. Their lineages go a little something like this ...

1. The original Aluminum Model Toy Co. founded by West Gallogly and based in Troy, Mich., which became ...

2. AMT/Lesney at some point in the late 1970s after it was sold it to British manufacturer of Matchbox cars. That became ...

3. AMT/ERTL in the '80s after the company was sold `to the Iowa-based company that had previously been known primarily as a manufacturer of diecast farm toys. Then you had ...

4. AMT/Racing Champions after ERTL sold the brand to the company best known for its diecast NASCAR miniatures. Next was ...

5. AMT/RC2 after Racing Champions morphed into RC2. And then there was ...

6. AMT/TOMY after TOMY acquired RC2. And that leads us to ...

7. AMT/Round 2, which, hopefully, will be the LAST AMT iteration!

For MPC, it goes like this ...

1. The orginal MPC, formed by former AMT executive George Toteff. That company is sold to ...

2. Fundimensions, a subsidiary of General Mills, which sells it to ...

3. ERTL, which sells it to ...

4. Racing Champions, which, or course, morphs into ,,,

5. RC2, which sells it to ...

6. TOMY, which sells it to ...

7. Round 2.

I'm sure there's some anxiously waiting to correct me if I have any of this wrong!

No, I don't think you missed anything. :lol:

I always thought Racing Champions was a division of Ertl, didn't know that Ertl actually became RC.

Yea, well, it is a long and winding road. What I see as the most important part of this by far, is that Round 2 gives a hoot about us modelers. Note the polls they have on their website about parts packs. We now seem to have 2 American companies that seem to care about what we want to build, and will listen to us. The days of building only what ends up on shelves seems to be gone. Now, if only Revell could follow in Round 2's footsteps and release some parts packs OTHER than engines!

No, RC acquired ERTL lock, stock and barrel mainly because it was interested in its diecast business ... which goes a LONG way toward explaining why AMT, MPC and PL were so sadly neglected and poorly managed during the period RC/RC2 owned them.

Okay, gotcha.

I seem to remember reading RC was interested in the model kit manufacturing facilities for injection-molding the plastic parts on their diecasts. As a result they prettty much swept the hobby kits under the carpet.

This means lots of new kits coming out soon. The better for us. They'll make the money, and we'll respond by giving it to them gladly!

thats what im thinking great news and great releases ahead for us. Especially from Polar Lights.....................

Edited by Darren B

I don't think it means more new releases. I think (and this is pure speculation on my part) they'll follow a practice much like Revell of late- that is, selling existing kits with new parts, or continuing restoring earlier kits (such as the '25 T) back to original or close to original form. Yes, new kits will appear (and already are in the cards) but don't count on a flurry of activity from Round 2 as far as all-new kits go, at least not right off the bat.

I don't think it means more new releases. I think (and this is pure speculation on my part) they'll follow a practice much like Revell of late- that is, selling existing kits with new parts, or continuing restoring earlier kits (such as the '25 T) back to original or close to original form. Yes, new kits will appear (and already are in the cards) but don't count on a flurry of activity from Round 2 as far as all-new kits go, at least not right off the bat.

Thank you, Karnak the Magnificent... :lol:

What is the difference between round 2 and rc2? I thought they were the same.

Different, separate corporations.

Previously, Round 2 "rented" the licenses and molds to produce model kits from RC2, which owned them. Now, Round 2 has bought out RC2 and owns everything outright ... without the middle man.