Model Cars Magazine Forum

What else do you collect

I know you were being tongue in cheek, Pete, but that was just a question that came to mind. I like the idea of calling the the unbuilt kits an inventory, too. That's something I'd never thought of, and probably why I considered the inventory a "collection".

I also agree the kit collectors always seem they have to have everything perfect, and it just doesn't matter to me, that's why no matter the kit, the shrink wrap comes off as soon as I get home. I even seen one member here asking once in the trade section for factory sealed kits only. What's the point? I think the kits he was offering were factory sealed, but demanding the same in the trade was a little over the top in my opinion. I had some of what that member wanted, but since they demanded factory sealed kit, it wasn't even worth my time trying to make a trade. I see it the same as you Pete, if all the parts are there, it doesn't make a difference if it's wrapped or not.

One thing with kit collectors I've noticed too is they care about if it is an original versus a reissue. There are some kits I laugh at on ebay because the seller thinks just because it's an original issue, it's worth more. Other kit collectors may see it that way, but as a builer, why would I pay $300 for a kit of XYZ subject to build when I can by the reissue for $30!

I'm new here and very GLAD to see posts like this. I think the same. Open it, build it. If all's there, who cares if it's sealed? Gonna rip the seal anyway. With 2 kits identical as stated....I'll take the one re-issue that's a fraction the price. That said, I'm glad to see so far that most here agree with the post I'm responding to. I really have no interest in joining some snob board that doesn't know how to enjoy these kits as was intended. Thanks Highway

Edited by Groucho

Woohoo! I got 6 more Hot wheels for my drag racing!

-Pro Stock Firebird

-Pro Mod Willys

-1971 Ford Maverick

-1957 Chevy "Edelbrock" edition

-two 1970 Chevelles

:D

@Charlie- I think it's a good pastime. I also do my "signature" drag racing noise! I only do it in the summer. Once I get my track set up again, I'll have pics :D

Edited by Android

I'm new here and very GLAD to see posts like this. I think the same. Open it, build it. If all's there, who cares if it's sealed? Gonna rip the seal anyway. With 2 kits identical as stated....I'll take the one re-issue that's a fraction the price. That said, I'm glad to see so far that most here agree with the post I'm responding to. I really have no interest in joining some snob board that doesn't know how to enjoy these kits as was intended. Thanks Highway

I'm not really slamming the collectors as they have there thing too. They preserve the history of the hobby and can share it with others and that can be interesting and valuable. I am not fond of what they can do for prices, but that is their call. All I was alluding to is that I have a stash but I am not a collector.

As a point about earlier issue kits, there can be significant differences for the builder. Strange as it may seem, molds do wear with use and fine detail can be lost or significantly diminished. You may not get the crisp detail you would like to have. Over time some of the molds get repaired and changed. Parts get left off or modified. For instance, early Super-bird kits included part to build a stock Road Runner. These were eliminated in later kits. Cost savings in plastic I suppose. When buying it is always best to look at the sprue's and see for yourself what may have changed. Happy Hunting

Sounds like a similar sickness in my household too....

GRM075-vi.jpg

L-R: Honer Acoustic/Electric- El Cheapo Carlos Robelli that sounds great for slapping-Yamaha RBX-550 converted to fretless-Amaerican Made California series Fender P-bass w/ Semor Duncan 1/4lb. pick-up's & a Hipshot detuner-Schector diamond series Studio 8 string- Yamaha RBX-775 5 string

The_Twins004-vi.jpg

Ibanez BTB QM405 5 string & a BTB qm404 4 string. They both have 18 volt Bartolloni active pick-up's and the 4 string has a Hipshot detuner also.

Picture062-vi.jpg

Amplification via a Gallein-Kruger RB1001 780 watt head and a G-K 4 X 10" SBX cabinet. On the bottom (no pun intended...) is a Carvin single 18" bin. I can make nails back out of walls...

Pedal board includes a Boss digital tuner-VOX volume peday-MXR Blowtorch overdrive. Looking for a good Chorus and Octave unit now...

BTW: We start on our self-produced C/D this winter. Hard Rock-Metal edged style with much influenecs from Pantera-Rage-AC/DC-Tool.

Keep me informed on the cd I would love to hear it.We are finishing our new cd also.I have mostley Carvin basses my fav.Is a Gibson explorer(pure metal sounding bass) I got last tax season.I just got a Epiphone thunderbird goth,for my birthday.

DON'T get me started on gear!!!!!

I've actually gotten rid of all but 3 guitars and am down to only one 1/2 stack. But back in the day? I had over 20 guitars and as many as 4 or 5 different amp set-ups. Of course I played all week long back then.

Nowadays, not so much.

I'm down to 1 1985 Gibson Explorer. 1 1986 PRS custom. 1 1985 Jackson Model 6. All bought brand new

1 Krank Rev1 100W head and Boogie 4x12 cab and assorted stomp boxes.

OK, so I have a Peavey VYPYR 30 watt practice amp too...

Bob

I see both sides of building and collecting the car kits but one thing that worries me about a sealed "$300" car is even if you have the money and plan to build it. Does not mean its not full of tire burn and warped bodies and messed up windows. I'll stick with re issues for building. I will say the collecting aspect has me interested to but I don't think I can do it.

I see both sides of building and collecting the car kits but one thing that worries me about a sealed "$300" car is even if you have the money and plan to build it. Does not mean its not full of tire burn and warped bodies and messed up windows. I'll stick with re issues for building. I will say the collecting aspect has me interested to but I don't think I can do it.

Personally, as a builder, I would steer clear of a kit like that(unless of course, new it was a $500 kit) for just the reasons that you described. That sort of kit is for the collector, who will never open it. I also get a kick out of those that advertise "factory sealed" on Japanese kits. That animal doesn't exist. There is no such thing as a shrink wrapped kit in Japan. All the sealing occurs here in the US and is done by the distributors, so ripping the shrink wrap off actually takes it back to original form.

Oh, dang nabit, you got me started again! I'll quietly put my soapbox back in the corner and leave the room! Ga nite :D

I've actually gotten rid of all but 3 guitars and am down to only one 1/2 stack. But back in the day? I had over 20 guitars and as many as 4 or 5 different amp set-ups. Of course I played all week long back then.

Nowadays, not so much.

I'm down to 1 1985 Gibson Explorer. 1 1986 PRS custom. 1 1985 Jackson Model 6. All bought brand new

Bob

I'm running a Carvin R1000 with 2x10in cab and a 15 cab which I have 2.I also have a peavey 4x10 cab and 4 other 15in cabs of variouse makes.I live in the country so little practice amps just hold the tequilla and smokes. :lol:

Sounds like a similar sickness in my household too....

L-R: Honer Acoustic/Electric- El Cheapo Carlos Robelli that sounds great for slapping-Yamaha RBX-550 converted to fretless-Amaerican Made California series Fender P-bass w/ Semor Duncan 1/4lb. pick-up's & a Hipshot detuner-Schector diamond series Studio 8 string- Yamaha RBX-775 5 string

Ibanez BTB QM405 5 string & a BTB qm404 4 string. They both have 18 volt Bartolloni active pick-up's and the 4 string has a Hipshot detuner also.

Amplification via a Gallein-Kruger RB1001 780 watt head and a G-K 4 X 10" SBX cabinet. On the bottom (no pun intended...) is a Carvin single 18" bin. I can make nails back out of walls...

Pedal board includes a Boss digital tuner-VOX volume peday-MXR Blowtorch overdrive. Looking for a good Chorus and Octave unit now...

BTW: We start on our self-produced C/D this winter. Hard Rock-Metal edged style with much influenecs from Pantera-Rage-AC/DC-Tool.

Nowadays, not so much.

Bob

I'm not really a "gear-head" but I do have a modest set up that I noodle around with.

bass01.jpg

It's a mid-80's Jackson-Charvel passive four-string running through a Zoom BFX-708 digital effects pedal and a 200w 1X15 Peavey combo. Between the EQ and other processors on the amp and all the settings on the effects pedal, I can squeeze just about sound out of it that I want.

I have knocked pictures off the wall in the next room with it. :)

Regards,

David G.

I collect Hot Wheels. But only one model. As it's my favorite auto of all time, every time the 67 Charger is released with a new paint job, I go buy one, open the blister pack (YES I OPEN THE BLISTER PACK BWAHAHAHAHA!) put it in a lil glass case and set it with the others. I have 12 now I think.

I'm not really a "gear-head" but I do have a modest set up that I noodle around with.

bass01.jpg

It's a mid-80's Jackson-Charvel passive four-string running through a Zoom BFX-708 digital effects pedal and a 200w 1X15 Peavey combo. Between the EQ and other processors on the amp and all the settings on the effects pedal, I can squeeze just about sound out of it that I want.

I have knocked pictures off the wall in the next room with it. :)

Regards,

David G.

My very first amp was a tnt.They are very nice for what they are.Sound and price.

It's amazing how many modelers are musicians too. Not just bassists but all kinds of instruments! Wish I still had the 2 or 3 year old Fender Strat I had back in 1965 when I was 13 and taking guitar lessons! That was my second guitar...the first was a Sears Silvertone in that funky Aqua blue color. I never had the fortitude to keep up with the practise deal and it went by the wayside when I got interested in cars. Then about 15 years ago I got this wild idea to take it up again so I bought a fairly nice Black American made Strat and tried it out again. Took lessons for a while and once again I didn't have the necessary drive (or time)to keep up with it and I ended up giving the Strat to a friend who could play pretty good. At least someone is getting some joy out of the Strat and the Roland Jazz Chorus 120 that went with it! :unsure:

I collect diecast construction equipment, hot wheels and matchbox cars of the Ford and European brands. I also collect books ranging from kids books that I remember when growing up to current best sellers. I also collect weight around the waist line that I need to get rid of.