Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Weight....

So if a gallon of water weighs 8 pounds (just a guess)... don't 10 gallons weigh 80 pounds and vice versa?

That is correct.

But a 10 gal cube is not ten times wider, longer, and higher, than a 1 gal cube. If you put a layer of gallon cubes on a pallet, ten wide, ten deep, you already have 100 gallons. Stack those ten high, and you end up with 1,000 gallons, i.e. 8,000 pounds.

Argumentum e contrario:

A 1000 gallon tank truck weighing 8,000 pounds would be a 1 gallon tank truck weighing 8 pounds in 1:10 scale.

In 1:25 scale, it would be an 8.195 ounces tank truck weighing 0.512 pounds :D

Edited by Junkman

Variables, proportions, demensions, blah blah blah blah blah...It's all relative. When it really comes down to it, that 1/25 Camaro or that block of steel, will weigh what ever you want it to weigh. If I believe I only weigh 200lbs, that is how much I weigh. I don't care if that scale with all those contraptions and doodads in it says 300lbs. Reality is only what you perceive it to be people! :P:lol:

The exact result with my formula is 0.24096 lbs, so I'd consider it close enough. I have a Ph.D. in physics, if that counts for anything, and I say you are correct.

hahah ... that's cool, Christian. I was a practical engineer ... consulted for real people .. so I rounded off. :)

Variables, proportions, demensions, blah blah blah blah blah...It's all relative. When it really comes down to it, that 1/25 Camaro or that block of steel, will weigh what ever you want it to weigh. If I believe I only weigh 200lbs, that is how much I weigh. I don't care if that scale with all those contraptions and doodads in it says 300lbs. Reality is only what you perceive it to be people! :P:lol:

I'm cool with that. Who cares about accuracy, truth, reality, professional knowledge, etc?

hahah ... that's cool, Christian. I was a practical engineer ... consulted for real people .. so I rounded off. :)

I get it....

Engineer:

The glass is neither half full, nor half empty. It is over dimensioned by the factor of 2 of it's optimal efficiency.

Physicist:

The glass is

1/2 x (glass full - glass empty)

which means:

The glass is neither half full, nor half empty. It is a superposition of two different states, that is, half full and half empty. Randomly measuring the liquid in the glass revealed that half of the time it was found that the glass was half full, and half of the time it was found that the glass was half empty. This is the most accurate result the examined scenario allows. Now dump the water and hand me the Scotch.

Edited by Junkman

The Junkman already kind of did this, but lets break out the math blocks they use in my son's school.

If you have a cube that is 25 blocks tall, 25 blocks wide and 25 blocks deep you will have a total of 15,625 blocks total.

If you scale that down to 1/25 scale you will be left with only 1 block.

You have to divide each side by 25 (25x25x25 = 15,625 / 15,625 = 1 block), not the total number of blocks by 25 (15,625 / 25 = 625 blocks).

Not trying to be demeaning by using counting blocks just seems like the easiest way to explain it. Trivial yes, but I have actually seen people try to calculate the scale weight / volume (tank size etc) so it is actually useful to know how it is done.

Edited by Aaronw

Funny- I know one of those 'dead serious' replica stock modelers. Whenever he shows off his latest model and lists all the things he did to it to make it as realistic as possbile, I pick it up and tell him- "Scale weight is off. I shouldn't be able to pick it up with one hand." It used to amuse him, now I think it just annoys him. :lol: